Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
1999 R71

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R7-Superbike-/290445021186?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item439fdf5002

Holy...gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it doesn't at least run, don't bother. If it won't idle, that's acceptable, as long as it'll rev cleanly. If he can't get it to start, walk, you don't want a non-runner as a starter bike unless you'd rather wrench than ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

If I had the money, I'd be all over this.

http://skagit.craigslist.org/mcy/1814988577.html

$3200 for an already modded drz 400sm with dirt wheels and extra plastics. There's gotta be a catch(blown seals from off-roading an sm?)

Probably high mileage. Still a drat good deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That paint job is very nice, but "the most performance for 999"? Eh?

It's ruined by the Ducati 9 99

Stupid.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You probably won't ride the f2 after buying the 636. Dilemma solved.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You say that, but there's a guy in seattle who bought a husky 510 as his first bike. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sklnd posted:

I don't think there's a part of that bike that doesn't look totally awesome.

I've had the pleasure of riding one and it is an excellent motorcycle. It's hilariously underpowered and hilariously overpowered all at the same time, completely absurd. It makes me wish we had more turbo motorcycles. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Or you could buy any japanese cruiser for 3500$ with low mileage and have a perfectly reliable bike. :iiam:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

BBBBBBBut Japanese bikes are trashed by 5,000 miles.

Asian soft metal wonders.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Paytizzle posted:

This seems too good to be true.

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/mcy/1867480235.html

Good condition. It has little over 33,600 on mileage. The tank is blue. If interested please call or text 662-419-7226.

Most random detail to include, considering that the tank is clearly visible in 3/4 photos.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UM sold hyosung bikes as well as their own, but they ironically sold better under the UM branding than the Hyosung branding. They closed a little while back, so I wouldn't buy one of their bikes. I wouldn't have bought one if they were still around, but now that they're gone it's a definitive no.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Bad spelling is par four the coarse in CL Land, but maybe this is intentional:

Reduced Suzuki Katana Crouch Rocket For Sale - $1950 (Ann Arbor, MI)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/1867899305.html

Rocket Sockets these days! :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Show up with a grand and another 200 in reserve. Nice bikes but with a questionable engine rebuild I'd be a little wary.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Anyone masochistic enough to buy this?

I'd buy it for 510$. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I was gonna say, that looks cool, but its probably absolutely terrible offroad.

It's probably terrible on road too. 148 rwhp with dual sport tires??

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

148whp sounds a bit bullshit for an S4R.

Agreed, gotta wonder if that's on a dynojet..."Corrected to crank HP"...:rolleyes:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Someone please talk me out of offering this guy $2500. Please, my wallet will appreciate it

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1904962050.html

Proven engines, reliable, parts available from ap1, good price, vtwin power means you've got easy mode wheelies.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

threeskin posted:

The GL500? My only thing is it looks heavy as hell.

It's not that bad, low seat height, easy to handle. I had one, it was a fun little bike, good starter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The small, sane part of my head listens to what blaster of justice says, and remember stories of screwdrivers longer than your leg needed to service the inside carbs.

And I know that I wouldn't like the fact that it can only run old, lovely tires, and that I have no money to be buying projects if I ever expect to race again. I know there'd be at least a grand in carb rebuild kits, fluids, and tires before it would so much as turn a wheel, and that for around 3-4k I could totally have a nicely running CBX already to go. But goddamn if I don't want it. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

$2800 for a CBX you brought back from 7 years of storage
Add $1000 for Excel wheels and good tires.

Then go race it. ;)

**attempts to corner**
**frame bends in half from the grip on modern tires and wheels**
**diverts to a nascar course now that the bike will only turn left, dies***

Nah, I've already figured there's only one way I can buy a CBX. It needs to have a spondon frame, 3.5/17 front and a 5.5 or 6.0/17 on the rear, and it must sound like the fist of god. Oh, and a proper set of handlebars for street hooning.

Goddamn, gently caress that kid.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I need a lot of people to tell me what I already know so I don't do something dumb.

2003 Honda RC51
-6,073 miles
-Power Commander III
-Runs and rides great, everything seems straight as an arrow
-Yoshimura dual exhaust
-520 Chain kit
-Brand new frame sliders
-CRG levers
-Old sprockets
-Passenger pegs

$2,999

Yeah, it's a salvage title because of this:

The other side looks perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5twHHmKqc

Help me, Cycle Asylum! You're my only hope!

Man that's a good deal on an RC51. They're pretty much the best sounding twins ever (sorry spiff). Built to dominate what honda felt was unfair displacement rules in WSBK back in the day. Awesome bikes, a pretty unique piece of motorcycling history. I'd go ride it because they have a reputation for being hideously uncomfortable, and it really belongs on a track, so I don't know if it'll be worth it if you don't want to take it to the track and find it super uncomfortable.

But if you can live with the ergos, it's a fantastic bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Plinkey posted:

I know nothing about it either, from wiki its a Czech company that basically is falling apart since the fall of the soviet union.

I'd probably just park it in my living room under my TV and ride it a few times a year, its gorgeous.

You know, there's a point where I would have thought that doing that to a bike is blasphemy, but as I get older I realize that there are some bikes that have to be enjoyed sparingly because parts are simply not available for them.

The old CX650 turbo that I rode is kinda like that...you may as well only pull it out when you're going to play on a nice day because someday it'll grenade and it'll be a bitch and a half to find parts to rebuild it. And it lets people see and enjoy bikes they might not otherwise have a chance to ride.

I bet that thing is a blast. I financed my racing career on a 0% APR credit card, it can't be a worse idea to finance a Jawa on one. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those motors respond really well to boost.

Just sayin'.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dr.gigolo posted:

I had to put some maintenance into my last three bikes, but all of them have been pretty cheap from the SF craigslist. I got an '82 KZ1100 for $700, it had a hole in the exhaust but everything else was great on it, an '02 SV 650 with 20k with a good frame, but beat up from being dropped for $1300 and currently an '07 R1 with 5k for $2500. Blown head gasket, but that wasn't too tough to replace.

SF has pretty much the best bike market on the west coast. Even better than LA, IMO.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

That's loving insane. You can buy one in Europe for a third of that price (mine). Don't do it though - you'll regret for a lifetime and then some more. Worst best MC ever. If you're challenged to understand the concept of "mixed feelings", the CBX1000 is the right bike to teach you.

From how you describe it, I imagine that I could recreate the ownership experience of a CBX by looping that video of one doing a flyby over and over while reaching into a vat of rusty, sharp motorcycle components with a blindfold on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

This one's for Retarded Pimp:

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/1980363107.html

It would be for me, but I'm broke and already have an assload of projects. :(

quote:

It also needs an exhaust system from the engine back.

Good thing it doesn't need an exhaust system from the cylinders back! :haw:

Also, I just have difficulty imagining who would buy those sons of anarchy rockers. It seems like the ultimate poser purchase, way beyond anything else you could ever buy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Not street legal?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack Black posted:

Well yea, but all it needs is headlight, tail light, and mirrors yes?
Plus registration and mounting a license plate on it I suppose.

Depends on your local laws, do some research before you get too committed to it.

For you 2 strokers:
http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1986862238.html

quote:

TZ250 GP bike Built by Steve Biganski PM rims Great bike to start your kid out racing.

Joe
805/712-8928

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/1979919726.html

3100$ for a 07 Husky 610. Not...bad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

EvilCrayon posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/2002413805.html

Really interested in picking this up as I live 10 minutes away. Am I looking at a steal or am I looking at a basket case...

Nice toy, a little on the expensive side but worth it if the ad is honest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349543

KLX250SF for 2200$.

Also, bonus poster name/crashed bike hilarity.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Do it! But do it in person.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shawing posted:

Not sure what the market price is on the Kawi ZRX1200r, but I recently stumbled upon this bike and man, did my heart skip a beat (I know its a lot of power, but damned if I wouldn't spend endless time on it, learning it's limits). Then as luck would have it, this bad boy popped up.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/2029404633.html

Anyone have any experience with this bike? Its pretty much THE bike I have decided I would settle down and grow old with...for the right price :)

That seems high, but I know island prices are quite a bit higher than mainland ones. They're awesome, bulletproof bikes though, can't go wrong with them at all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lord Master posted:

He updated
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/mcy/2039991191.html

The fairing doesn't bother since I would probably convert it to nekked, and the small stuff I listed is no problem either, but the "small oil leak" is a sign of big trouble, no?
I think the general CA advice was leak = run?

Also looks like the clutch cable is wrapped in tape or is that a lovely picture of the metal wrap?

Its a lovely picture of the metal wrap.

I'd show up and offer 500$. The oil leak could just be a leaking crush washer, it could be some other stuff...worst case you could part it out or pick up a cheap second bike and make one good one out of 2 bad ones.

I second what hayden. says and I'd say that if you can start and run it from cold you're probably good to go. 700$ motorcycle, expect to have to put some work into it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

If it's true that "you can get a new title for it just by taking some new pics and sending in the booklet" then the guy would have already done it.

Unless you really know what you're doing, buying untitled vehicles is a terrible, terrible idea.

Yup. I'd pass. Especially considering those engines were known for top end oiling issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Plated Husqvarna WXE360 2-stroke for $1100 in the Bay Area. Really want to buy it but kickstarting it is a bitch unless you get an autodecompression head from Australia for $600. Not worth it for my needs. But god drat it would be awesome.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2088241610.html

If I didn't hate 2 strokes, I'd be considering something like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You don't hate anything. Quit pretending. You just ran out of garage space or your muffin caught you going to the craigslist ad and suspended your access to the joint account.

No I really don't like 2 strokes. I mean, I wouldn't kick one out of the garage if it showed up, but a 2 stroke dirtbike is not on my list of what I want to buy. I need to ride more just to confirm, but I do not like how they make power, I don't like the sound, and I don't like the smell. An RD/RZ 350-400 would be the only exception. And even then, I'd just tolerate the 2 stroke-ness of it. I started riding after the 4 strokes started in in MotoGP, to me the 2 strokes just sound like lawnmowers.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2088710457.html

I'd buy the poo poo out of that though, if I had the money now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

It's an Arizona plate, you'll never get that transferred to CA. I might get bored of my KLX300 after I run it in from the recent rebuild and sell it cheap. Nice light bike with low seat height. KTM 450s are calling me...

I'd potentially be interested...hit me up on facebook and let me know the specs.

And also I'll get your A/F tuner back to you before the DRZ goes.

Speaking of which, you want to buy a DRZ? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CBXes seem to range from around 1500$ at a great deal for a runner that's rough around the edges cosmetically, to 8k+ for a completely pristine, never restored, low mileage, etc. one. It's one of those things where it's completely dependent on the situation. I'd probably shoot for around 2k, personally. That might be considered a heinous lowball, but I'm an rear end in a top hat and I figure at 85k the bike has already seen quite a bit of use.