Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
You guys probably want to take screenshots of the ads and post those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

This guy essentially lost $30,000 in around 6 years tops on this awful thing:

Who spends $20,000 on a bike and wants something used anyway?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

These guys wouldn't bother with these scams if they didn't work, and that they work with a giant freaking "ALL SHIPPING OFFERS ARE SCAMS" is just pathetic.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Kawasaki had (or still has) a $50/month credit card that lasts a year or two. An acquaintance of mine was pissed when, a year or two later, he still owed the entire MSRP+fees+service plan. He didn't realize this until he was trying to sell the bike for some extra cash, only to realize selling it would actually cost him considerably.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

infraboy posted:

See that 2 year of 0% interest or whatever isn't such a bad idea, say you put down about 4000$ down and just pay the 6k or whatever off in 2 years time, thats what i'd do if I wanted a brand new one. But it seems better to just get a model thats a year or 2 behind the current one for about 60% of the price, the supersport bikes usually get changed every 2-3 years anyways.

Gotta be careful with that two year deadline, though. I know some credit cards throw on all the back interest if it isn't paid off in 2 years.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I once sold a bike that was literally only damaged by dropping it in my drive way once, and once in a parking lot. Both times I wasn't actually moving when it fell. So there.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I don't see how the front wheel receives any power to make this two wheel drive.

edit: nevermind i see the incredibly thin belt now, I wonder how easily that snaps
edit2: apparently its a chain, hard to tell from pic

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 4, 2010

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If there's no rust and it starts up quickly from a cold engine then yes. Parts can be surprisingly expensive and add up fast, but I would guess you could make it in good operable condition for a few hundred bucks. Carb cleanings aren't too bad and are a good thing to experience at least once.

To be sure to price in a new chain, sprockets, and tires because they all probably need replacing.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Choppers are universally pretty much complete poo poo, but this one is actually kind of cool.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/2813416738.html

imgur mirror: http://imgur.com/a/lq7ox

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It would be a bad bike for any highway riding. It's probably been horribly abused being a dual sport and all.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Korwen posted:

Goddamnit why don't I have money

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2874955193.html

I would sell something to buy that if it was local. drat good deal, and you're lucky to even have any used ones for sale in your area.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I've been looking on my local craigslist nonstop and finally came across something I want. I'm ready to go buy this monster tomorrow.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/2875150513.html

How much of a decent deal would you guys say this is?

I've spoken with the guy and plan on heading out to pick it up later today (around 4ish EST). He's the second owner and has only put ~1500 miles on it.

Also this is pretty cool, I found the original ad. Everything lines up with what this guy is saying according to the pics on here.

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302074

to save you some time, there are lots more pics linked in the original post here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117379903580919482884/ducatimonster800

So yeah, he's asking 3900 firm, and it's got lots of mods with only 7000 miles.

Now what does CA say?

Looks to be in pretty good shape. If you're happy with $3900 I'd go for it. There are probably better deals to be found eventually, but I doubt much lower for the same condition.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Looks like a pocket bike, and apparently Manny got ripped off.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I just want to say gently caress trying to answer calls from people buying stuff on craigslist. I talk on the phone all day at work and I'm perfectly comfortable with it, but 90% of all calls I get from potential buyers are either:

1. Unintelligible
2. Completely wasting my time droning on and on about something barely related
3. Lonely old people that want someone to talk to

I deal in emails only and only give out my number as they're driving to my place in case they need to cancel last minute or something.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Gweenz posted:

This is in my town but I don't know a thing about these. Thoughts?

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/mcy/3000413620.html

Just know it's probably going to cost a lot to get it fixed up, depending on how well you want it to run. You could find one in better shape for more money and come out spending less overall, probably.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Only $2000 for this 2008 KLR 650. 80% of the pieces are in boxes, oh and also the engine needs to be nearly entirely replaced because it seized up. DEAL OF THE CENTURY.

quote:

2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
2800 miles on chassis when the engine seized on me going down the freeway. Bike wasn't dropped I've had it in the shop and they tore down the engine in an effort to get Kawasaki to fix it under warranty. Kawasaki refused due to "evidence of possible oil starvation" even though it had plenty of oil from a few hundred miles since the last change and there was a full amount when the shop drained it.

Anyways.. bike has a clean title on it but needs a new engine. I'm moving soon and do not have time for the project so I've dropped the price on what this is worth in good order to account for getting an engine to put it in it. Someone with the time and a garage could have a great bike to ride before summer is here.

Bike is in storage in Vancouver with all the parts from the engine and everything else with the bike. Much of the engine parts are good, but I have a list from the shop of things they would have replaced. You take the bike, put in a new engine, sell the parts with value, and have a great cheap ride.

Next time I can show the bike would be on Sunday (3rd) during the afternoon.
Pictures don't show it, but there are some stout crash guards that would come with the bike and had to be removed for the engine coming out.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I wonder if he'd even test the bullion or just blindly accept some novelty bullion bar.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Asking $5500 with 12k miles, just had 12k mile service. Realllly tempting but having two bikes right now seems like a bad idea and I've only had my ZX14 for a few months so I'd hate to sell it already.

These things are impossible to find, much less so for such a low price.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I thought the 690SMC was the ultimate supermoto that didn't involve engine rebuilds every 5 miles?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Woops, well I'm glad I didn't buy it now.

In other news the local dealership had their CB1100 out on the floor today. The red paint is much better in person. I sat on it briefly and it felt nice, but hard to say whether I'd regret it without being able to test ride.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 29, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I got the KLR hankering. What do you guys think about the price on this?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4688771324.html

Lowest he's going is $4500. It has all the mods on there I would want which is nice and saves me a lot of time and effort. There's also a 2013 KLR going for $4500 and it has only 1600 miles. Not sure if all the extras are worth being 4 years older with an extra 4k miles and cosmetically a being a little worn.

quote:

2009 Red Kawasaki KLR 650 with:

5750 miles
Metzler Tourance Dual Sport tires with 2100 miles on them (front and back - Currently mounted)
Dunlop D606's with 1200 miles on them (front & back - as seen in the photographs)
HD and Xtreme HD extra Inner Tubes (already installed) and two more still new in boxes
High Output LED tail light and headlight
Sargent aftermarket seat
Eagle Mike Bar risers
Eagle Mike Fork Brace
KLR Dash
KLR Dash windscreen adjustable risers
Zero Gravity Sport Shield
Pre-wired for accessories (ie: heated gear, etc.)
Pre-wired for Battery Tender
New Yuasa Battery
Clymer Shop Manual
Honda 650 metal bearclaw foot pegs (oem ones are included)
IMS HD extended shifter lever (oem shifter included)
Happy Trails Centerstand
Happy Trails Highway footpegs
Aluminum Front Bash Plate
Aluminum Bottom Bash plate
Brake master cylinder armor
Nerf Bars by Twisted Throttle / Happy Trails
Barkbuster Hand Guards (oem ones are included)

Luggage:
Wolfman Deluxe Tankbag
Wolfman Deluxe Side saddlebags
Wolfman side armor / luggage racks

Everything that needs to be purchased for the KLR already has been. Oil changed every 500 miles with mobile1. Clean title. A few adventure scratches here and there but nothing serious. A solid bike that's ready to rock. No test rides without cash in hand.

The oil change every 500 miles seems weird. He's either obsessive, lying, or something is seriously hosed with this bike. Maybe it was a typo.

Anyway, I really want this bike. So many cool places to explore in the Portland area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If you look at Hyosungs in person you can pretty easily see the parts that make you go "yeah this was made in China" or whatever other country that sucks at making motorcycles. It isn't very confidence inspiring. It's like the Harbor Freight of motorcycles. Their stuff works and it's cheap, but it's Harbor Freight.

I did the math on that KLR above and it's over $2000 in accessories (new). Even if you cut it in half for being used, it means the bike is only $3500 (the other $1000 being the accessories). I was so close to buying yesterday but I convinced myself not to because I'm not going to be able to do any fun, long trips on it any time soon and I'll be moving cross country in less than a year and would have to sell it then anyway.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 30, 2014