Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
This is a 93 suzuki GS500 for 1000 bucks.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/1588611318.html

this is an 02 suzuki GSX-R 750 for 2800
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/1588533427.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Crayvex posted:

That's an insane price. The old Kawasaki police 1000's go for more than that with higher mileage.(referring to the BMW cop bike)

I think that's because the kawasakis will run forever and you can replace the clutch for like 80 bucks, but the BMW's clutch is 700 or something not counting labor?

this is just want the cop who gave me lessons on KZ1000s was telling me. The new bmws are expensive as poo poo, and need maintenance more often because they have a car-style clutch that wears out from slipping, and the KZs have something like 7 plates swimming in oil.

he seemed pretty unimpressed.

and he was hungarian, so I don't think he had inborn distrust of furners.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

BMW clutch job means essentially splitting the bike in half, and they do use a single plate dry clutch rather than your more typical wet, multiplate clutch. Dry clutches will wear faster and do have less resistance to glazing than wet clutches, but it's not like it's going to instantly explode if you slip it too much.

ok first off

Dr Zero posted:

:smugdog:
NYAH!

and second off, I think the idea is, it's had alot of use, so, if the clutch hasn't been replaced lately, it might need to sooner than later, and that's an expense to think about.

I don't know about maintaining the rest of the bike, but I think the guy's emphasis on it was because he spent alot of his time replacing clutches on the KZs he was using as learner bikes, which makes sense.

It's just my thought, because I was thinking about getting a KZ1000 at first (hunting them down became a pain, so I stopped bothering), and I was assured that, well used or not, they're easy to maintain and last forever, and in contrast the BMWs were expensive and difficult.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Zero posted:

Actually, I was calling bullshit on the fact that he claimed that it was a "car clutch" and wasn't intended to be slipped.

The clutch design and maintenance might be problematic, but there's no way BMW put "a car clutch" in a motorcycle.

I even bolded what I was calling BS on. <:mad:>

Cut me some slack. It's more car-style than not. What's the functional difference, other than the fact that it's not as heavily built?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
zen makes a good point. He's not one of those guys who can have like a road bike and a play bike and a race bike. you know, one of those guys who's walled himself inside his garage like the cask of amon tilado with decadent machinery purchases.

So quit acting like that's even an option.
http://www.starklite.com/FORSALE/1947_Indian_Chief_grc.htm

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Is this good? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1706748520.html

The bike looks pretty good, and I know BMWs are typically way overpriced.

quote:

$5800 2001 BMW 1100RT ABS

This is great bike, I used it to commute to Everett every day, the only reason I'm selling it is because I have just bought a K Series and I can't have two bikes in the garage.

Bike has:
Heated Grips
Heated Corbin Seats (Recovered this summer so they look spankin' new)
Removable backrest for rider or passenger
ABS Brakes
Wired with TireAlert
Has electrical accessory box
Headlight modulator
TailBlazer
Manual Cruise control
PIA lights (yellow) mounted above mirrors - great high viz!
Modest reflective tape
Matching hard bags
Matching hard trunk
I'll throw in a tank bag and some additional misc. pieces.
85K miles (I commute 100 miles a day)
Maintained by BMW certified techs
Color is "Champagne" - which is a tan/silver/pewter color - you don't see it very often

Questions - just drop me a line. Will consider reasonable cash offers.

Test rides for serious buyers with INS and MC endorsement

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
babies fit in hardbags, don't they?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
it fell because I saved it in a spectacular display of piloting from an ancephaletic soccer mom on her cellphone in an SUV, while riding in a flash-freeze in january, and I went on to repair it with better-than-original parts. Between repairs and the spirit animal that now lives in the bike filled with courage of the bear and the cunning of the tiger, the value has increased 10%.

somebody get that guy an SA account.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

TheFonz posted:

Wow.

Wow Matt.

Wow.

Nice whiff on my loving joke.

what joke?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Raven457 posted:

A sweatshirt on a chick is one thing, a dude on a bike with a leather vest and that stuff on it, laid out like it was a real MC vest, is another.

Real SOA wear all Joe Rocket gear and full-face.

No confusion.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Anybody want to take a chance on a crashed race bike?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1991278318.html

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

If I didn't hate 2 strokes, I'd be considering something like that.

You don't hate anything. Quit pretending. You just ran out of garage space or your muffin caught you going to the craigslist ad and suspended your access to the joint account.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

At least the seller indicates that yes, it does contain elementary particles. Seems pricy for an old bike with "quarks," I would only be paying that much if everything worked on it or if it was rare and I wanted that particular model.

I honestly wouldn't pay for anything that decays in a matter of nanoseconds. I mean, you're just going to have to pay for the superconductor to create more, and that's like, what... 20-30 million depending on whether you can get a deal on a Z-pinch?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Scrapez posted:

:stare: I'm going to have to agree that there is probably legislation against such a thing.

You don't think it's just the title to the headlube? So you can get lubed legally on the street?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

the walkin dude posted:

He says he hasn't done any racing, wheelies, or stoppies.

My impression from the local sumo crew was that this is physically impossible and this person is a liar.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

With only 567 miles and if he's one of those "No RIDING OVER 4k DURING BRAKE IN" jerks then I could see it.

Whatever. You're just trolling.

Is it time for a new engine on this thing?
http://www.ridemerchant.com/classifieds/item/show/97697-2000-triumph-daytona-955i

oh. Bah. He's being a dick. 1000 at the top, but actual price is 4500. Not horrible, I guess. Not as good as I thought.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Scrapez posted:

The man should be revered. Though, remember, If it's got tits or wheels, it'll cost ya. :)

If it has tits *and* wheels, you're the luckiest man on earth.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Marv Hushman posted:

Mulling it over...second opinions?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2295533891.html

Sounds like a scam. 1000 bucks is way too low for such a personal piece of art.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'm guessing bought it then lost his licence on the way home, or bought it and scared himself shitless on the way home.

Or bought it, got unemployed on the way home and the dealer was a hardass.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

Ahh, the infamous supermoto paradox. The idea of hooligan enjoyment where you have to pick your locations. :v:

It's like every alcohol commercial on tv now;

Drink a jackass amount of our poo poo, responsibly.

I don't hooligan wheelie for miles at a time on public roads while drunk often, but when I do, it's supermoto and dos equis.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

ReelBigLizard posted:

He once tried stunting, just to see if he could (he could).

He shows up to Stirges... on a Ducati.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

Solid, reliable bikes. Don't have anything bad to say about them.

What about the inherent undeserved premium for being a yamaha/honda?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

ReelBigLizard posted:

Should mention, that's British gallons, which are smaller (.83 of a US Gallon).

Is this why the check engine light on my triumph kept going on? Because I was filling the tank with american gallons and causing the engine to flood?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pvt. Public posted:

Well, it is a good thing I am broke. Otherwise, I'd go find a way to be broker and end up buying this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUELL-RACING-TRACK-BIKE-XBR-2008-FIREBOLT-/320713641710?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item4aac05ceee

You bastard! I have 5000 dollars and no responsibility!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

frozenphil posted:

Would you consider trading for a bike of equal value that you could flip just as easily, if not easier (my 2009 Ninja 250)? I haven't really tried that tactic yet, but I think I might ask.

It never hurts to ask. Worst case scenario you just have to go back to haggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Part your kidney out. They don't need the whole thing in one go, they can take slices. You'll get a higher return. Then you can start buying slices to replace and flipping them for a profit.