Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pocket bike makes sense; I was wondering where on earth you'd be able to find a bizzarely proportioned Chinese knockoff supersport called a "Sports RR Bravo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I could probably get this running myself in a few hours time and triple the price, but mainly I just want it out of my yard.

Ah, this classic again. "It totally is only like a few hours away from running and I could do it in an afternoon and make an extra 500 dollars or more but maaaaan my time just isn't WORTH that little to me. My loss is your gain!"

It's NEVER just "one little thing". If it was, he would have done it himself.

Also: "driven" instead of "ridden", bought a new bike but apparently didn't even touch his old one once in the last 2 years, etc.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Someone buy that, because right now, some dude with an ironic beard, and wearing some old-rear end beer tshirt is thinking of how many views he's going to get on vimeo for the emotional DSLR video he's going to shoot about the long, tear-filled road to making that bike into a hardtail.

Then he's going to start planning the photoshoot with airsoft AK-47's and every flat, featureless chick he knows.

SOMEONE SAVE US ALL.

I worry sometimes that I am a walking cliché because I'm a young guy with a beard (non-ironic) restoring a vintage Honda and I have an expensive video-capable DSLR and a bunch of old weird film cameras and I like craft beers and I commute mostly by bicycle and so on. But at least I'm not chopping my bike into a lovely café racer, I'd never do anything like what you've described :unsmith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do not; I have a full-face HJC. I like my lower jaw. And I don't have any piercings or ironic tattoos! And the only Apple product I own is a 6-year-old iPod! Don't make me one of them!

I have heard, though, that being concerned that you're a hipster and/or disliking hipster culture and/or saying that you're better than hipsters for * reason is just proof that you are in fact a mega-hipster. It's like The Game; the only way you can be safe from being a hipster is to be totally unaware of what a hipster is.

I love your avatar, btw

You are walking a fine line. Do you own a Bell Custom 500 helmet?
               /

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 8, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you insist on making a café racer, please at least make sure that:
1) it is good enough to be featured on BikeEXIF, and
2) you start with a basket case

I hate hate hate hate hate it when I see someone who got their hands on a well-kept old bike with a little rust and dust, and they immediately spraypaint everything matte black, replace the airbox with pod filters and put on a lovely eBay cafe seat and clubmans. All these bikes that just want to be ridden like they were back in the day and now they're being turned into monstrosities :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That looks pretty decent! But what the heck is happening on the side there?

quote:

Looking for a good deal!
Well-Maintained with techno-synthetic 10w-40 and fueled with 91-octane gas.
Parts changed since being purchased in 2009 (6th owner) are

- rear spoket
- brand new o-ring chain (always well lubricated with Castrol lube)
- brand new rear tire from Forest City Honda in Nov 2010
- brand new battery from Cad tire in April 2010 (just serviced two daysago
- brand new spark plugs April 2011

All electrical in great working order

The main issues with this bike are the tachometer needs replacing (approx $150 with labor) and the scarcity of the right-hand side cover which I fashioned an alternative using heat-resistant electrical tape

offer welcome! cash/trade

Anthony

Well, that explains it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Replacing pieces over time to keep it on the road and make it a frankenbike is fine -- indeed, sometimes better than doing a straight-up custom build. Then the bike has some real history and character behind it, and you can tell the story behind every piece.

"Oh, yeah, that mismatched side cover is cause the chain blew out in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska and cracked it but amazingly a guy ten miles up the road had an '80 falling apart in his barn and he just let me have the pieces."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've read a story on another motorcycling forum about a guy who got historic plates on his older bike and was pulled over on his way home for a minor moving violation. The cop took offense to the rider for some reason, told him that "you are clearly not going to a parade or show at 1:00 in the morning", confiscated his plates, impounded his bike and hit him with a big fine. There was also some fiasco with his insurance company after the whole thing.

I considered getting historic plates but I'd rather not risk that whole issue. Maybe your state is different? I kind of miss AZ because they don't have any of the usage requirements there, just the 25 years old or more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

this bike would make a cool cafe racer or rat bike

:fuckoff:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What? What?

Maybe he's just confused and instead of "scooter" meant to type "limited edition race replica". Because I don't know if that's what it is, but that's the only way that I can see that thing being worth $31,000.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ground clearance? What's that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is that all sarcastic or something? This is the "let's buy motorcycles" thread so I assumed he was actually looking for comments about the bike in question. It is an attractive vehicle, but if you're going to rip off your exhaust system going over a speed bump it's hardly very useful as anything but a track or show bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safetyland posted:

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I've only got one year of riding under my belt and I appreciate what you had to say. :)

Well, don't be so self-deprecating then, calling yourself an idiot and stuff! Nothing wrong with learning...I'm learning more and more about my bike every day I spend wrenching on it.

I also think it's a really sexy looking exhaust (pervert!), but yeah it's definitely going to get ripped off the first time you go over a speed bump or driveway or curb or pothole or whatever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wanted: HI IM KEVIN

quote:

its gor new tiers ans new cluch and new thrrotl cabell just put on i had all the engn all redon i got it safteed last yer if you wont to have a look at it just call kevin at 519-729-7732 and the peice if ferm but pless call me as my email is not wokring right nwo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aaand this guy is why I usually filter out anything newer than 1990 when I'm browsing for interesting bikes.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2003-Honda-CBR-RARE-ALL-BLACK-OVER-2000-IN-MODS-W0QQAdIdZ363150364

quote:

2003 CBR600RR STILL AVAILABLE AS LONG AD IS STILL UP!
IF NOT SOLD BY MARCH 31st I AM KEEPING THE BIKE

Great starter bike, I have been riding for a little bit over a year and this was my first bike. Reason selling is I cant afford it any more as I recently just purchased a car. Dont let anybody tell you to get a 250cc bike. Take it easy on this bike as you wont outgrow it whereas the 250 you will outgrow it in a month tops, promised.

Real head turner, looks sexy and sounds like a beast.

- All Black
- 31000 KM - TONS OF LIFE LEFT
- Synthetic oil always used
- Premium fuel always used
- Tinted windscreen
- Flushmounts
- LED Brake lights on passenger pegs
(very unique you wont find it anywhere else on any bike + extra safe and easy to see when braking) refer to second picture

- Red rim tape
- Red chain tape
- Rear fender license plate eliminator (can push plate back)
- CBR600RR frame sliders
- VORTEX adjustable rearsets/pedals ($500 value) [5th image]
- YOSHIMURA SLIPON - sounds like a BEAST ($700) [2nd image]
- Plenty of life on tires
- Chain lubed every week

*bike has been dropped onto a curb, NOT while riding, fairing scratch and crack*
no serious damage [Last image] [suuure -- ed.]

Over $2000 in modifications
I dont have time to certify/safety it, I want a real quick sale for $4900 AS IS
or
If I have to take time off to safety and certify, it will be $5600

Tires MAY need to be changed for safety but I honestly think it'll pass.

I truly don't know why people say "if it doesn't sell by whenever I will happily keep it!" and poo poo. It doesn't make your bike any more desirable, it just says "look, I'm egotistical and indecisive". If after March 31 you aren't going to sell it, then take the ad down on March 31. It's just like the people saying NO TIRE KICKERS OR TEST PILOTS.

Also, getting a safety certification here costs about 70 bucks if there's nothing wrong with the vehicle, so the fact that he is charging 500 dollars indicates to me that his tires are completely ruined. Unsurprisingly.

And if you read these ads for any length of time, you'd come to believe that motorcycles never ever fall over except in driveways and when they're sitting at the side of the road. :rolleyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

darkhand posted:

The funny part to me is that he spent all that time on aftermarket poo poo like kickin'rad chain tape, yet he doesn't have time to make it street legal (guessing safety cert is like state inspection?)

Yeah, it's the general roadworthiness inspection. Tires, chain, brakes, fork, cables, speedometer, headlight, stuff like that. Almost certainly he's trashed the tires and doesn't want to spend another couple hundred bucks replacing them, but then again it might be something far more insidious.

I really love the title of the ad: VERY RARE ALL BLACK! Wow, really? What a unique color scheme that is! :rolleye:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nanny province, actually. And Ontario hates motorcycles with a passion.

Not that it's a bad idea to have the bike inspected, especially since people don't ride them for 6 months of the year, but it's still an annoyance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An observer posted:

aparantly i took out the wrong plug

He obviously got the drain plug right, so what other plug was he trying to remove?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I googled "neutral cam stopper hyosung" since I can't figure out how that confusion should be made -- the only access to anything like that on my bike, as far as I know, is with the crankcase open -- and guess what I found

another forum posted:

I decided to send in my month-old GV250 for first servicing

however, I had a new problem on hands... I can't find neutral gear anymore!

I slowly, cautiously rode the bike back to the mechanic and confronted him with the problem. He sheepishly asked for a copy of the service manual...I went back to the inter-net and down-loaded the relevant sections... lo! and behold! The mechanic mistook the neutral stopper cam-rod as the engine-oil drain plug! and he re-installed that with the spring in the wrong position! Hence, no neutral gear!!!

Welp, apparently it is just a confusing feature of these Hyosungs. Superior Korean engineering, I guess?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would suggest looking for a Shadow 600, Virago 535, something in that displacement range. I know it's a big heavy cruiser but 750 just seems too big for a beginner to me.

I really regret the loss of the 400cc class in the American market. What can you buy new in the USA that's between 250 and 600cc? The DRZ400 and a bunch of dirt bikes., that's it. Yet I've never heard anyone say either "the DRZ400 is overpowered" or "the DRZ400 is underpowered". I think it's just the ideal engine size for beginners, non-interstate commuters, city riding, two-lane highways...where did it go?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do like how he says a 730hp motorcycle is "easy to handle" but won't sell it to a beginner at any price! Because I bet he's got plenty of newbies phoning him and saying "yeah I'm just starting out but a $185,000 motorcycle sounds like the right one for me!"

:rolleyes:

Guy's completely inside his own rear end.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Why would you pull the bars off, flip the headlight brackets (maybe? Looks off) and raise the forks on a 919? Nice bikes but looks like the PO is an idiot.

"Consider how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of the population is dumber than THAT."
--- George Carlin

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Remember when I posted Kevin's bike a while back? Well, he's at it again

quote:

selling my bike cus i wont this uther bike my bike runs beuttfull np with it at all engen is all re don cluch all don to thrrotel cabel is new tiers new the cluch is new as well it a grat dell and a nike bike it wos my baby call me kevin 5197297732

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You got all that from a dude making fun of some guy advertising his pretty bland cruiser as an orgasm machine?

Besides, I thought that the orgasm machines were the old British 360-degree twins with solid engine mounts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

that tail...

All I can see is a mud dauber.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well he said "true survivor of the 'chopper revolution'", whatever that is, which I think is implying that it was built that way back in the 80s? and has been in that condition since. Whatever your taste, someone definitely spent a lot of time and effort making it.

Gotta say that is about the ugliest seat I have ever, ever seen. And does it even have a front brake?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2978322527.html

Its too clean to be true.

Has anyone, anywhere, at any time, ever thought that that style of seat looks good?

Sure is clean though, yep

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Did he just tie a big strip of canvas (leather?) on the exhaust as a heat shield? Clever, and somehow classy. Probably cause dude is so old.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Worst case scenario he's out 400 dollars and can resell it for the same price (or maybe even more!). In a better case he has a sweet little '70s 2-stroke. What's your objection?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A loose cable is probably trivial, unless it's like a stripped thread on the adjuster or something. If it just something that needs to be tightened up and he didn't know how to do it, I'd question what kind of shape the rest of the bike is in.

As for the noise...well it depends on what the noise is, exactly. Could just be out of adjustment, or it could be the friction material is worn all the way down to the shoes. You might as well just spend the $80 or so and replace the shoes front and rear -- then you know it's got good parts and you've eliminated a source of asbestos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That 175's adorable and I'd buy it on the spot for his asking price if that was in any way a reasonable thing for me to do right now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n. He's the GS guy, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My mistake. They both have such similar avatars that I always confuse which one made some specific post.

[e] seriously guys, cmon

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is just appalling: Caferacer.jpg

Edit: what the gently caress is a "New Air System?"

Cone filters. You can see them sticking out just in front of the original airbox covers.

You're absolutely right about the fork -- if he'd tried to mount a fender I bet he would have noticed that one. Guess he likes road grit in his teeth or something :q:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IcedPee posted:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3060521957.html

Someone talk me out of this, because I'll probably be going over to look at it after work today.

That's a '72, not a '69. It's identical to my parts-bike-that-is-slowly-becoming-a-running-bike-for-some-reason. The color is best described as "puke" in any kind of artificial lighting, but in the sun it's more of an "electric mucus". Very eye-catching. Also it has the rod-type shocks in the front which are better than the older piston-type.

Get it!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DeNofa posted:

So I've wanted a motorcycle for this last second half of my life and I think it might be the time to get one. However I'm not sure if I'll love so I'm not looking to drop a few grand on something I'd just want to resell anyway.

Sign up for an MSF course. You'll pay about 300 dollars (plus 120 or so for a decent simple helmet, if you want your own/one isn't provided), and at the end of it either (1) you will discover you love riding, you'll be ahead of the licensing game, and you'll have a solid base of skills to build upon instead of immediately developing bad habits, or (2) you will discover you don't really enjoy riding and you'll only be out 300 bucks instead of whatever you spend trying to get that bike on the road. I think the first outcome is much more likely.

DeNofa posted:

I have a lot of time, tools, and garage space at my disposal so I'd much rather invest time than cash into this thing. THAT said, I found this on my local CL and was wondering how much trouble I'd be getting myself into. I do have some basic combustion engine knowledge but a lot of it would be picking up the Haynes and experimenting. Any thoughts?

I agree with GnarlyCharlie -- if whatever's wrong with it will only take 15 minutes to fix, you have to question why the guy didn't do so and instantly double or triple his price since it becomes a running bike. I do know that once in a while someone just gets so sick of the "one more thing" on their project that they get rid of it and it really does only need some tweaking, but that's rare.

That said, my first bike was a non-runner in far worse condition than that one, and I got it restored and running like a top in about three months for about 1200 dollars. It was an occasionally frustrating but mostly rewarding experience, and now I know enough about Honda 350s that I can take one apart down to the last bolt, put it back together, and have it pass the inspection the first time. That's a pretty good feeling.

If you're just looking for transportation and/or want to get on the road as fast as possible, don't get that bike. If you're looking for a new project to play with, you're persistent and don't mind spending more time and money than you expect to have something that *you built* at the end of it, and the engine isn't seized (that would be a deal-breaker for me), then go for it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 7, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boru posted:

I can already tell that it needs a new battery, the seat is going to need to be switched out, and I'm pretty sure the front tire is dry rotted.

Just FYI, if the bike hasn't been ridden in more than a season or so, buying a new battery and new tires is just par for the course. Shouldn't cost you more than 250 or so for all three if you're going with decent-quality touring tires.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boru posted:

Yamaha XS400 Bobber:

Worst seat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boru posted:

FAKE EDIT: By the by, does anyone know if posting pics directly from my G+ account would be "image leeching?" I keep pulling the pics off to my imgur account for fear of probation.

I think the idea of the image leeching rule is to prevent some poor guy's server from going down or using up all its bandwidth in a day when 40,000 goons access the same image in a row. Google can probably handle it.

e: there was also something about how URLs you don't control can be replaced behind your back with porn or goatse or whatever, but G+ should be okay in that regard too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That is a bizarrely huge rear sprocket. Sexy exhaust, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can someone explain the RED or GREEN or BLUE or whatever thing? At first I thought it was a shorthand way of discussing the brand by their racing colors -- greens are clearly kawasakis, reds are hondas, etc. Then I thought maybe it was taking the piss out of people who don't know anything about their vehicles other than the color. But now ElMaligno's statement doesn't fit either of those situations that I can tell.