Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm looking for a project this winter, and this is in my local craigslist:

I texted this guy, he says he has the title.

$1000 is more than I want to spend on anything that's not currently running, but I don't know what a fair/good price is for something like this.

I think ~$500 for a non-running bike sounds about right to me, but I don't know jack poo poo, that could be an insultingly low offer, it could be way high (probably not). This being craigslist, I don't have a problem making an insulting offer to try my luck, but what is a good price for this? Is it worth it? (probably not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm looking for a KLR. I emailed this ad to ask if there's a reason it was never ridden, and he replied with "3 bikes and no time to ride. Too dang busy working all the time..."

Thoughts? Suspicious? Any major issues from letting it sit unridden other than needing fresh oil/gas/tires?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Radbot posted:

That seems a bit high to me. What are brand new KLRs, like $6k?

$6500, there are dealerships listing new old stock 2013 models for $5500 around here (Boston). I emailed to ask if he'd go for $4000.

Mostly just wondering if there's a possibility of some sort of scam or catch here that I'm not familiar with. Like odometer rollback or a replaced engine or something fishy. It's not often I see a used bike with literally one mile on it (photo in the ad of the odometer shows 1.2 miles) and I'm constantly paranoid of craigslist.

builds character posted:

If it sits for a long time won't the carbs get gunked up?

Probably. But I'm mechanically inclined and I don't mind learning to rebuild and clean out a carb if it means I get a great deal on an unridden bike. As long as it's not something like "oh it sat for 4 years, you're going to need to completely rebuild the entire engine and transmission to be sure."

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 27, 2015

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Hah, nevermind, he says he's firm at $5000. Good luck, buddy.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, there are definitely new ones available for near that price by me too.

I've been avoiding the 08-09s because of oil burning issues, and whatever I get will have the doo done. I also want to put a thermobob on based on what I've read.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Sorry about your luck man. Mine served me well for several years with nothing but tires and oil.

And afaik, the girl I sold it to 2 years ago still rides it school.

Mine just ate a rear wheel bearing and I'm trying to figure out how to remove the blown up one. Calling some shops on Tuesday.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is this a very reasonable price or a screaming deal?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/5155671300.html

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My commute is 1 mile of lovely Boston city streets then 20 miles of decent interstate.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Thoughts on this? I'm going to look at it Saturday morning, the craigslister seems like a normal human being so far.

Price seems about fair for the area I think, right?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Oops. Cropped out the title with price and location, sorry.

$2750 near Boston

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Dutymode posted:

If it's really that clean and with the bags then probably worth it.

He was very straightforward about scheduling the meet and he proposed 9 AM Saturday with perfect spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. My craigslist senses are tingling. I am filled with hope.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have one. You don't want one. Your dream was wrong.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Bought a KLR last fall but drat this looks like a good price: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcd/5574756061.html

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Last year a friend of mine moved to California and gave me his '01 Suzuki Savage that was sitting in storage for a few years. I derusted the tank, changed the oil, cleaned the carb, put a battery in and it fired up. It's a piece of poo poo for sure, but it runs and rides and passes inspection.

I hate everything about this bike. Messing around with it to get it running was a fun project, but now I want to get rid of it. What's a fair asking price for a beat to poo poo running cruiser?

There's a small dent in the tank and some scratches, looks like it was down at some point. 14k miles on it.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Seriously? $2500? My initial thought was to be happy if it brought in $1000.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Even if it were worth the effort I'm not convinced I'd actually enjoy the cafe once it's done. It's still the same stupid engine. I hate ~everything~ about this bike except it was free.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I just finished working out the quirks on the 2001 KLR I bought last fall and the parts availability and knowledge base for that bike has made it stupid easy to repair and maintain. They were loving identical for 20 years.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

manly growl

and vibrations

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I think I want a Concours, and I think this is a pretty decent deal on one.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/5953971085.html

Tell me all the reasons I shouldn't.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Went to see that Concours, guy didn't even ask if I wanted a test ride, just offered me a helmet and started giving directions on where to go. Buying it monday.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I believe the term is "juggalette"?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

This is cute:
https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/d/1973-suzuki-350/6392667201.html

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

That's a model?

I took it to mean she’s the owner and she has a model friend but now that you mention it I don’t know.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Looking at this tomorrow morning:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/d/honda-vf500/6511314080.html

Look, I know, okay?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'll give him $200 for it. He'll think about it.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is this a thing?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/d/wow-9th-year-motorcycle/6508691726.html

The url in the ad is wrong, it's actually (warning: autoplays engine sounds) http://japmikemikes.com/ , which is somehow worse.

Is this real? Is this worth checking out?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I also enjoy bikes that got a long run of model years without many changes to the model. For example, my first gen KLR and first gen Ninja 250 were both made virtually unchanged for roughly 20 years. Makes it super easy to get parts and find knowledge online.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Call him and ask.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What're "new tabs this month"?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

According to the TAT resources it really only works westbound but you should still totally try

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The scrambler’s ten grand new? Why?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Oh dear.

Slightly.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Anyone want a ninja 250 with 110,000 miles on it?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/laguna-beach-2006-kawasaki-ninja-250r/7064303170.html

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol I just noticed the front end is literally a zetec focus

Imagine having the weight of a car with the brakes of a raked out cruiser lmao

Those look like the tail lights off the focus wagon body too.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My father is/was a financially successful small business owner, he did those sorts of things. He wasn't like... politically wealthy? But he could afford very stupid ~$5-10k impulse buys several times a year. "Those are neat, I been thinkin' about getting one of those!" usually would get declared in the ~week prior to buying one.

At the very least I remember an S175 Bobcat skid-steer, a C3 Corvette, a Buell Blast, and a Harley Wide Glide sitting in the heated 3-bay semi-truck garage he bought for hobby workshop and storage space.

My mother and I learned to ride on the Blast and then it sat. The skid steer was used to forklift pallets of beehives for his personal apiary, some yard work at our house, and then it mostly sat. The corvette was owned before I was born, sat the whole time, then he sold it when I was 15. The Wide Glide got bought as part of his midlife crisis, but then he got an Electra Glide Classic like a year later so the Wide Glide sat. He bought a brand new trailer to take the bikes to Sturgis, went like maybe twice, then that trailer sat.

I love buying motorcycles from dentists who found out too late that they did not enjoy motorcycling, sometimes they let unridden stuff go for actual good prices.

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 5, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Hell yes:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/laguna-niguel-segway-x260-brand-new/7119385693.html

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe he commutes a quarter mile every day on it?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Like someone put a KLR seat on top of a Ninja 250 seat and just left both sets of tail bodywork on there.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I was planning to pick up a used ninja 250 this summer but now they’re $3000 with 30k miles and a bunch of body damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Should I flip my beat up KLR while prices are high??