Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
speaking of outfuckingrageous payments...

---
Fire sale, emergency assume payments - $600 (Savano park)
Date: 2010-04-13, 2:21PM CDT

Need responsable party to assume payments under my credit @ a cost of 600.00 per month. 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. Black on Black with all the options, pipes, ect. Only serious parties needed. I am a great judge of person, so no bullshit. If your calling for fun, you will be dismissed. Call Rick @ 682-365-6459
---

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

babies fit in hardbags, don't they?

damned right they do

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Weinertron posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1707869987.html
So.... would an 80's touring bike be terribly irresponsible for a first bike?

Connies are great bikes, but it may not be the best choice.

I just started riding street last August on a 1980 Suzuki 850 that I found on Craigslist for $600. I then bought a sport tourer in November after logging 1500 miles on the Suzuki. If you have no other riding experience whatsoever (I can't remember if you've ridden previously, sorry!) the Concours is a bit too much for a total beginner. I had some dirt and scooter riding experience as a teen, and I would still say that getting a 1300cc touring bike was a somewhat risky purchase for someone with my level of experience.

They are very smooth and comfortable to ride, but they are heavy and fast. This can be bad because the bike rides so smoothly that you may have a hard time realizing just how fast you are running, and are more apt to get in over your head. Don't be fooled by the "touring" model designation, these bikes will haul rear end and most have no problem hitting 100+ in under 15 seconds.

Most sport tourers carry a lot of the weight up top too, making slow speed maneuvers somewhat challenging for a new rider. I've dropped my 1300 twice, both times at super slow speeds, and both times the biggest contributing factors were the size and weight of the bike, and my lack of skill. Take it from me, picking up a 700lb bike is a pain in the rear end back.

If you're OK with the fact that you'll be picking it up a few times, have some previous riding experience beyond the MSF, and are confident in your ability to not act like a hooligan on it, you might be ok on it. If you're brand new to riding, you might not be ok on it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I kinda want this, but I need a third bike like I need another hole in my head.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1785752947.html

quote:

Barn Fresh! Only 13K Miles. Last Registered in 1984. True Classic. Kicks Over with good compression. Exhaust is in Excellent Shape. Other than the torn seat cover, it appears all there. Bill of sale only.

$700 Cash or interesting Trade? Like $700 cash or a decent looking white girl.

E-mail: tophatmexican14 at Yahoo.com

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
This was posted on a meetup message board that I'm a member of. A lady was asking for suggestions on a good beginner bike since she's about to take her MSF course. Her husband rides a Harley, but neither of them are obnoxious about it.

BeginnerLady said:
""I am looking for a good starter bike. Would like a bike that is at least a 750. Budget can be between $1200-$1500. Could be more if I find something irresistible. I trust the people I ride with and would like some help getting a good bike. You can email me at nameremoved@hotmail.com if you find or know of something. Thank you.""

Not bad, right? She's a bit older, has been riding pillion for a few years now, and has a bit of an idea how this stuff works. She's not looking to hop right on a huge Harley. Most 750 cruisers or standards would be pretty tame for a new rider, while still letting her comfortably ride around town and on some trips through the countryside.

What could go wrong? Oh, yeah ..... That Guy decided to show up. But it's not what you'd expect to see from a board filled with mostly cruiser riders.

That Guy said:
""It will be difficult to find a lower mileage bike in decent shape for less than $3500. It is likely that a $1500 bike is going to need tires, chain & sprockets, fork & headset bearing work, brake pads, and expensive valve adjustment...You can expect to spend another grand minimum to make the bike safe.

For your budget the best bike to look for is a BMW. Most BMW people are anal about service and maintenance, and 80k miles on a BMW or Moto Guzzi is still a bike with alot of miles left. A Japanese bike with 80k miles (Goldwing excluded) is usually trashed, and Harley prices are too high for your budget. A shaft drive is much quieter and easier to own, chains need regular cleaning and lubrication. Chain adjustment is also wheel alignment, so it must be done perfectly.

BMW and Guzzi are much lighter and more nimble than Harleys. My 750 Guzzi weighs only 420 lbs, a Harley with similar horsepower can be 600 or more, and the Brembo brakes are much better than Harley brakes. Can you pick up a 600 lb motorcycle? Both Guzzi and BMW are police bikes in Europe. They deliver smooth power and nimble handling in the city, and low speed (parking lot) maneuvers are super easy.

On the highway they are very stable, and are designed for comfortable 8 hr workdays in the saddle for 150k miles or more. Air cooled twins like these need very little maintenance, oil/filter and simple cheap valve adjustments is about it. Most BMW's also have wheel stands, not kick stands, that make service and tire changing much easier, especially at the side of the road.

Try not to let the Harley image cloud your judgment. Smart, safe, and practical for your budget is a BMW. Please feel free to contact me if I can help out in any way.""

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
someone should find the father and tell him what an ungrateful little poo poo his offspring is :argh:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
It's not Craigslist, and it's not in my local area... but if anyone knows someone looking for a deal on a large sport tourer, this is a pretty good one. KBB value is around 8 grand, he's asking for $5900.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1102278&postcount=1

quote:

Gotten a couple of nibbles but no bites yet. Well, here's the deal. She has to go!! We just got word that the dealership where I work will be closing its doors at the end of the month!! With the possibility of unemployment, I'm looking to cut as many bills as possible before the end of the month and the ST has to be one of them. So here she is......with some new bits recently added....

2006 ST1300 ABS
Black (a few scuffs and scratches as she's a daily rider)
65,xxx miles
Extended Warranty till 2013

Accessories:
Honda Heated Grips
MCL Handlebar Risers w/ Ramball & Powerlet port
Throttlemeister (Black/Heavy)
Arieta Angled Valve Stems
Hondaline Topbox w/ Armrests & custom top rack
Turbo Tom Rack (works on Hondaline base)
LED Mirror Turnsignals

Extras Thrown In:
Miniature Air Compressor
Tire Repair Kit
Misc Bungees, Nets, and Straps
Honda Service Manual
Motion Pro Fork Seal Driver for ST1300
Honda Front Brake Pads
Anything else I can find laying around......

Asking only $5,900.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
1979 CBX with 9 original miles
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320587301272&viewitem=

quote:

1979 HONDA CBX

9.5 Original Miles!
Titled in 1988 but Never Registered!
Offered by Original Owner!

I bought this bike new in March 1979 from Auburn Honda in Auburn, NY, along with another bike, a 500 CX. The idea was to use the 500 as my daily runner and put as few miles as possible on the CBX. The six was destined from day one to be kept in pristine condition in my climate-controlled print shop.

While I did get to ride the smaller bike, a broken ankle kept me from riding the CBX that year. I subsequently bought a VF1000R and two more bikes, all Hondas, so the CBX stayed unregistered. In 1988 I finally asked the NY-DMV for a title. By the time the title was issued in late August, it was too late to have the bike registered. In upstate New York, the riding season is pretty much over by late September. I don't remember what happened the following year, but the upshot is, I never got around to registering or riding this impressive motorcycle. By the early Nineties, it had become a cult bike and collector's item.

First, the bad news: The bike was put away wet. That means the gas tank and carbs will have to be cleaned before the CBX can be started or is anywhere near roadworthy. The tires, like everything else on this bike, are original and I wouldn't advise anyone to ride a single mile on 31-year old motorcycle tires. You'll also need a new battery. For what it's worth, I still have the original one.

Now the good news: This CBX is likely to be a lone survivor. It would surprise me to find more than a very few, if any, unregistered CBX motorcycles anywhere, with the possible exception of the silver model on display in the Honda Museum at Twin Ring Motegi. If anyone has seen that bike and recorded the mileage, I would be grateful for the info.

No part of the bike has ever been touched, no nicks, no dings, no scratches or tool-marks of any kind. The CBX is nearly as clean as when the dealer took it out of the crate and prepped it. I say nearly because the right black plastic side cover suffered a small crack during shipment from Auburn to Rochester. The dealer supplied a replacement cover and decal a week later. I have both the cracked cover and the replacement, plus the original decal and two extra NOS decals that I picked up on eBay. Also, the turn signal housings have a gray patina that wasn't there in 1979. Easily removed, but I left it there to preserve originality.

All the controls move freely, and the throttle springs back as quickly as when I took delivery. There's a huge difference between storing a vehicle in an unheated garage versus storing it in a climate-controlled environment.

http://photos.halsgarage.com/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=278587

There's a saying in collector car circles that you can restore a car many times, but it's original only once. When I sold my Dragonsnake Cobra at the 2006 Mecum Spring Classic for $1,525,000.00, one of the reasons it bid so high is because, in the 40 years that I owned the car, I kept it totally original. Down to the factory paint and racing graphics.

Restored '79 CBXs are now selling for around $12,000 to $15,000. Here is your chance to buy a completely original unregistered model for the same amount. This bike is so original, it still has 1979 air in the tires. It's also complete. The engine guards were dealer installed and come with it. The first time the tool kit has come out of the pouch is to take pictures for this listing. The user manual is mint, and I'll also include a well-used original shop manual, something I try to get for all my collector cars.

If you can arrange to drive or fly in to look at the bike before placing a bid, I would be happy to pick you up at the Rochester, NY airport. Call me or send a message through eBay a day before your arrival.

Thanks for bidding.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

harm0nic posted:

Not a bike, but..

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1980668945.html

For gently caress's sake, really?

I'm sure the local Bandidos MC chapter is gonna love that.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

I just saw a chick wearing a SOA patched sweatshirt around here the other day (central PA). Still a bad idea?

A sweatshirt on a chick is one thing, a dude on a bike with a leather vest and that stuff on it, laid out like it was a real MC vest, is another.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

Am I wrong or is this bike retardedly loving cheap?

that's GOT to be missing a zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Why do I have to be so broke?

The rear of that sure does look a bit like the ST1100, doesn't it?