Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

KinkleKlaws posted:

I need some help as I'm on the fence with this one. At $675 it seems like a decent deal.

That's a steal. It's probably already sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Endless Mike posted:

A used 2006 VFR for $7500 is a good deal, right guys? :downs:

You will fall in love with it if you see / ride it repeated like 4 times but he wants to sell it because he "lost interest."

:raise:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

this is just want the cop who gave me lessons on KZ1000s was telling me. The new bmws are expensive as poo poo, and need maintenance more often because they have a car-style clutch that wears out from slipping, and the KZs have something like 7 plates swimming in oil.

This sounds like complete bullshit to me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

ok first off
NYAH!

Actually, I was calling bullshit on the fact that he claimed that it was a "car clutch" and wasn't intended to be slipped.

The clutch design and maintenance might be problematic, but there's no way BMW put "a car clutch" in a motorcycle.

I even bolded what I was calling BS on. <:mad:>

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Cut me some slack. It's more car-style than not. What's the functional difference, other than the fact that it's not as heavily built?

Considering that controlling your bike's speed without killing yourself is largely dependent upon slipping the clutch whereas in a car that's a sure way to burn it out, I'd say that's the biggest thing that made me go :rolleyes:. I'm not saying that the design is good or not, or reminiscent of a car or whatever. Just that saying that a bike has a clutch that isn't meant to be slipped doesn't make any sense.

I could be wrong, I suppose and someone will post a bike that uses a car clutch. v:shobon:v Don't get all defensive - I wasn't being critical of you, but the cop that told you that sounds like a less than reliable source.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 20, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

wescreweleven posted:

Someone tell me if this is a good deal:

Assuming that's all it needs is a starter (Why would it need a carb cleaning if it starts and idles nice?? :raise:) I say that he'll get $800 - 1000 for it, especially as it gets closer to the start of riding season. Blue Book breaks down when you deal with old bikes with low miles.

That's not to say it's worth that much, but I predict he could get it.

Unless you really, really want that particular model bike, I think you can do better. A bike that's been sitting that long has the potential for a lot of rubber replacement. For one thing, those tires will need to go for sure if they've been on the bike that long.

I'd keep looking.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

sklnd posted:

I've seen a 81 Honda Ascot that would start and idle just fine. It wouldn't take throttle, though, and when the carbs came apart it was pretty nasty inside.

:doh: Ah yeah. Different jets. That makes sense.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Plinkey posted:

Welp, thanks for the tips. There is no chance that I'll get it. He just sent out an email to 30ish people basically saying
"My inbox has been flooded, and some people have offered me over the asking price. Send you best bid by 1pm and I'll email/call the top of the list down. They have 20 minutes from the time I call to show up cash in hand, today".

So no way that I'll be able to do that because of that whole work thing.

Probably for the best to avoid vehicles without titles anyway.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The Lord helps those ... who aren't gullible as gently caress.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

They are hilariously awesome, just..yeah, not beginner bikes. At all.

But, but .. it's only a 500! :haw:

Gnomad posted:

If I recall. since it was a credit card transaction, wouldn't that be unsecured? So even though a guy couldn't pay the card off with the proceeds, he could at least sell the drat bike and then make his finance 101 tuition payments on a bike he doesn't own anymore.

It says credit, not credit card. Vehicle financing is still on your credit record. What he means is that you get the bike and make his payments, but it's still in his name. It's really not a good idea since you can't register his bike since he'll have to keep it in his name. So you ride a bike that isn't yours for the bottom basement price of $600 a month.

The guy is loving delusional.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Gnomad posted:

I worked with a guy who bought a Yamaha ATV on the plan, and his was strictly a credit card transaction. After a fairly short period of time he figured out the deal and arranged other financing. Maybe the street bikes were actual credit tranactions rather than a credit card purchase.

The guy with the Harley, well, he's just screwed. And for sure he's trying to pass that screwing along to the next dreamer. $600 a month should buy not only the Harley but the truck to carry it around in.

Ah yeah, that's right. Honda does the same thing. Then I suppose, yeah, it could be that he sells you the bike, but you pay him $600 a month and he pays the credit? But that doesn't make sense because what would keep you from just taking off with the bike?

Meh ... I've put way too much thought into this dope. :shobon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Don't forget to drill holes.

(in the bags)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Weinertron posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1707869987.html

So.... would an 80's touring bike be terribly irresponsible for a first bike? Shouldn't be as twitchy as a sportbike, and I'm not seeing any reasons why it should be prohibitively expensive to own. Would an 80s shaft drive cause weird handling issues?

Concourses are fast bikes. Not a good idea.

Just like you shouldn't generalize by CC, you shouldn't generalize by class, either. There are some really fast touring bikes out there. My cruiser has 100hp for instance, and I would never recommend it for a beginner.

Shaft bikes are fine. The only time you'll notice the difference is if you really goose it and you feel the judder. It's hard to explain if you've never felt it before, but it almost feels like the rear tire is breaking away, but it's not. It just feels weird and might make you overthink the sensation until you get used to it, but that's about all.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Slim Pickens posted:

Didn't realize it was shaft drive as well. Seemed like a good idea for a minute.

What's wrong with shaft drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

Put a tiger in your tank. Errr, on your tank. And your fairing. RAWWWWWWWWWWRRRRR

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/1798140910.html

quote:

Also come with a spare tire

Goddamn sellers get more demanding all the time.