Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Kin Corn Karn posted:

been borrowing a friends 80' cb750 that ive learned to ride on. i ran into a bit of coin so im looking to buy my own if i can find something decent for cheap enough.

82' CB900c. Needs rear rotor caliper, o rings, and exhaust manifold. but says its running okay now. asking price is $600, so i'd still have some money left over to take care of some of the issues. i really like the cb750 ive been riding and would be happy with something similar like this.

another is a 90' yamaha fzr600 for $1200, supposedly only needing a choke cable and a battery charge. seems like a safer bet, but maybe a bit small and underpowered for me.

thoughts?

You're a new rider that's learned on a 1980 CB750 and you think an FZR600 is underpowered and too small? Do you realize that displacement does not equal power? The FZR is somewhere around 90 horsepower. The CB750? Somewhere in the 70s or high 60s, and heavier to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I can't imagine trading that bad boy for a cruiser, especially with the performance mods the previous owner did. Why spend money on steering dampeners and bigger rotors when you just want to buy a cruiser anyways?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Every time I see those hideous 80's touring fairings I laugh my rear end off. They're so GODDAMN HUGE. Almost as bad as the terrible King and Queen seats also popular in that era. The 80's was the worst time for bikes.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

At least the seller indicates that yes, it does contain elementary particles. Seems pricy for an old bike with "quarks," I would only be paying that much if everything worked on it or if it was rare and I wanted that particular model.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It's crazy, yeah, but it's pretty limited by the dirt gearing (look at that huge sprocket), the knobbies, and the tiny brakes. That thing won't be doing anything crazy on the street beside crossing it to get to the next trail.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

JP Money posted:

Rear sprockets are 50 bucks, and that cr has front and rear disks. Get the gently caress out of CA.

Sorry I made you mad, bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That's pretty much the kind of bike you want in a state like Florida.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Loucks posted:

Somebody else buy this 2006 DR-Z 400SM for $2500 in Indianapolis, because I'm already trying to figure out how to explain to my wife why I need two motorcycles.

Current best explanation: I need one with spiky tires for winter riding! :haw:

Somebody doesn't ever use the rear brake.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Loucks posted:

I have no idea what this means.

(look at the rear brake rotor)

Loucks posted:

Aren't SM riders obligated to stoppie at every red light and wheelie at every green

Yes.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah your DRZ is going to be more fun than that DR650 as is.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

It's because it's a loving amazing motorcycle. It's the one bike that I look at and don't immediately think "I could replace that with something that would do the job better".

I feel the same way about my 625. Every other bike I've had, I've always looked at other bikes and lusted after certain traits they had. With my motard, it ticks all the boxes for me and I seriously wouldn't trade it for any other bike on the planet. It's not for everybody but for the riding that I do it's perfect (don't care about triple digit speed or the highway, love backroads, being an rear end in a top hat, and generally having a bike with an energetic and carefree demeanor with athleticism to back it up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Do it, just learn to start your kicks at TDC and kick all the way through the stroke. If you stop short you're liable to get a knee to the chin on those old 500s.

When learning to kickstart on my KTM 625 it helped me when I learned to not just put a lot of weight on the kickstarter, but to literally put ALL my weight on it when kicking through. As in, my other foot would be off the ground. Never kicked back after I started doing that. This may not apply to most bikes where you kick it while sitting on the bike, but the KTM had a lefthand kicker which meant I would be standing off to the side using my right foot.