Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

listing posted:

The adapted Suzuki GSX 750s bike has an extended chassis to make the bike much longer and accommodate the gigantic front section (implying a high-spec engine lay inside)...

In the future, we put our bike engines above the front wheel. We find it increases maneuverability in the form of raw stoppie power.

edit: I wonder if, when the shroud is off, the bike is just some GSX chopper monstrosity. I can't figure out how it would steer otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If those aftermarket passenger pegs are as stiff as they look, that's asking for a broken bracket in a tip-over.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
How loving legit it would be to receive payment in gold bullion.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3678707632.html

Why don't I have money right now :negative:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3683725490.html

Holy poo poo guys, I found a bike with a power band!!!

edit:

I was crazy surprised when this guy called me back after 3 days of the ad being up, but I'm going to check it out tomorrow. It's probably going to be for not, since being up for that long probably means there's something legitimately wrong with it. He says that somebody else compression tested it and it read low, and that it's weeping oil "from the crankcase." I'm going to compression test it again, and if it happens to come out fine, I'm taking it. If the leak isn't something like a gasket or loose bolt, I just so happen to have a set of SV cases sitting in my garage right now :whatup:

double edit:
He said it starts and runs for a little bit. Are there any obvious symptoms of bad compression, other than showing such on a tester?

even more edits:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3612777781.html

I've got the best ads. Apparently this guy just dropped dead before finishing his post. Or meth.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 16, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Eh, it pulled 90psi from the front cylinder and wouldn't even crank off starter fluid in the airbox. It was also in way worse condition than the ad made it seem, which I expected. After trying to convince him to sell me a bunch of parts, I passed on it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Why is cool stuff so cheap in Ireland :mad:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3710105809.html

I didn't know these existed before seeing this ad, looks like a mini V-max.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Call are text, indeed.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Unless I'm missing something, salvage titles are not a bonus.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

:coal:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The rear rotor on that TL is dumb as poo poo.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Oh don't get me wrong, the bike is rad. I was just saying the rotor looked retarded.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Indeed. The last couple years of their models haven't been as trashy, but I wouldn't get anything Hyosung of that vintage. The fit, finish, QC, and support base are/were total poo poo.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
its name is FREEDOM

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Rontalvos posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/4211368300.html

Non-running 2001 ninja 500 for $750. If it ran when put away, a simple case of oil change, fresh gas and carb clean should sort it out, right? I've done plenty of motorcycle work in the past so I'm not afraid. I'm just trying to get the bst deal I can.

Somebody else has an ultra meticulously maintained ninja 500 for $2500 and that's out of my price range.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/4206467962.html

Should I make the stretch for this meticulously maintained one, go with the other one I looked at a few weeks ago with some cosmetic issues? Or the fixer upper?

How can I evaluate the non-runner that has tags for some reason? What things should I look for?

It really depends on the conditions of the sitting one, since the ad says it's been there for several years. Worst case scenario is that the inside of the tank is rusted, fuel lines are rotted, tires, chain, and possibly sprockets are garbage, all fluids need to be refreshed, needs a new battery, carbs need to be meticulously cleaned, and miscellaneous seals and rubber bits are withering away. Figure all this is about $4-600 if you do the work yourself.

If, on the other hand, it's been kept well, it should only need the things you mentioned, plus maybe tires and a chain. I'd try and get it for $700 if that's the case.

As for the other one, I think I'd have trouble ponying up that much for an ex500, regardless of condition. It's crazy well kept, but the premium of buying that at full asking price isn't really worth the benefits over buying something cheaper (that would also probably have less mileage) IMO.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
700 if you're feeling generous. I see almost mint condition 250s that old go for a grand here all the time, and plastics are a big money item.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
You may be able to get $500 profit on it, but I'd wager it needing more than an engine (plus the oil and oil filter it would need) if the owner let it go without oil.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I was in a similar situation with my first bike, and be prepared to be working on it for a very long time, as performing maintenance on something you don't really know the history of (take whatever they tell you with a grain of salt) turns in to "Well, I better do this too before I start riding it regularly, just in case." You'll also end up spending as much as you would have on a bike that runs fine and is probably a bit newer. However, I learned most of what I know about working on bikes from my first shitpile. For that, even if I knew what I was in for, I probably wouldn't have done it any differently.

Essentially if you're very interested in learning all things maintenance, do it. If you are simply doing it to save a bit of money, find another running 250.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I feel like it makes more sense to just find a DR650SE instead of trying to finish that guys project, unless you can get it super cheap.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
You really, truly dont, they're hateful things.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Took it to a custom shop and said "I want to make my bike look TERRIBLE."

What dealer in their right mind would buy that off of someone?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I wanna know who "aprasised" this garbage

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/5463249464.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I'd snatch this up if I were looking for a bike right now, but if anyone near Florida is looking for a second gen SV:

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/5569834066.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If you look at the pictures, it's been down and the forks are a bit rusty. I'm willing to bet that the chain/sprockets/tires/fluids/battery are probably bad too.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

AncientTV posted:

I'd snatch this up if I were looking for a bike right now, but if anyone near Florida is looking for a second gen SV:

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/5569834066.html

SO apparently this is still available... and the person that owns it literally lives across the street from me. I saw it outside the other day and he's still trying to sell it. I haven't shopped a second gen SV before, so I'm looking to get a little input on a fair offer. The bike looks like it was sitting outside for awhile, and would need new forks (tubes are rusted to poo poo), new front calipers, chain, tires, battery, fluids. There's also a little damage from what looks like driveway tip-overs.
Not totally convinced I'm going to grab it yet, as I haven't gotten a chance to talk to the guy yet. I'd say it's a perfect candidate for a GSXR front end swap since all of the junk on the front needs replacing anyway.

What would you pay for this CA, assuming clean title, no significant damage, etc.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, if the rest of the bike wasn't relatively clean, I would say this sat out for years and years, but it's really just the forks and calipers that are weirdly over-corroded. And that was about how much I was thinking, I imagine after it sitting for a year and a half and trying to sell it for a month will make "will not hesitate to sell" mean doing so at that price :toot:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Presented without comment

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/mcy/6091007327.html

edit:

A bonus ad

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 4, 2017

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/6082485293.html

What're the chances this is actually a valve problem? The maintenance interval for this generation was 15k miles, and 18k seems too close to that to be showing starting issues. Looking for a flipper to buy me a nice SV :coal:

disclaimer: None of my bikes have ever needed an adjustment at the suggested maintenance intervals (usually a few thousand miles after), so I'm basing my question on that. Not sure if these engines would be similar, but I'm finding posts online of people reaching 25k before needing to touch them.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 10, 2017

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Yeah if the valves are causing the engine not to turn over it's because they're hitting the pistons.

Dog Case posted:

It's on craigslist so "Valves need adjusting" and "Bike isn't turning over." probably means "The engine ate the valves and is all seized up/so full of valve shrapnel that it won't turn"

It was starting, just with a bit of effort. I didn't get to check it out unforunately, someone sniped it a few hours before I could get to it.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Want a stretched busa with clowns airbrushed all over it? Of course you do!

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/6134498547.html

:suicide:

edit: woops sorry, airbrushed on one side lol