Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Returning 4% a month is an annual return of 48% so the lowest risk avenue is probably doing some kind of options trading on margin and declaring bankruptcy when it goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

A scenario and a rookie question:

Lets say I had $100k sitting in savings and I wanted to make $200/day off of it to live. Business days, so that would 20 days per month. I'd only make a withdrawal at the end of the month, so that would be ~$4k in cash at the end of month.

What would be the lowest risk avenue to try something like that? Daily stock trading of some sort?

I'm not saying I'm ever going to attempt such a feat but a recent article had me wondering.

$200/day, as you define it, 20 days/month, would be 200*20*12 = $48,000/year. or 48% annual return on $100k. if you can find a consistent, reliable low risk way to get 48% annualized returns, be sure to tell the rest of us. it will not come from any advice you will find in the newbies thread.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

A scenario and a rookie question:

Lets say I had $100k sitting in savings and I wanted to make $200/day off of it to live. Business days, so that would 20 days per month. I'd only make a withdrawal at the end of the month, so that would be ~$4k in cash at the end of month.

What would be the lowest risk avenue to try something like that? Daily stock trading of some sort?

I'm not saying I'm ever going to attempt such a feat but a recent article had me wondering.

Post the article so it can be properly debunked.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Returning 4% a month is an annual return of 48% so the lowest risk avenue is probably doing some kind of options trading on margin and declaring bankruptcy when it goes wrong.

pmchem posted:

$200/day, as you define it, 20 days/month, would be 200*20*12 = $48,000/year. or 48% annual return on $100k. if you can find a consistent, reliable low risk way to get 48% annualized returns, be sure to tell the rest of us. it will not come from any advice you will find in the newbies thread.

That's what I figured. I won't be doing anything of the sort that but I was just curious of the "if you had to try, how would you do it" and wasn't sure of the best thread to ask.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Probably pull a Fred Smith / FedEx

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Muir posted:

A student loan may very well be the first time someone is encountering these concepts in their life and dealing with them first-hand. I don't think a bit of explanation is unwarranted.

Yeah, this just reads like a super basic explanation to help people understand how it works.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you want to mess around with simulators, the FIRE folks have made some. cfiresim will run your investment / expenses against historical economic numbers for the past ~150 years of the USA's existence. Rich, Broke, or Dead? also mixes in actuarial tables, but has less fine-tuning on stuff like when your pension kicks in or adding extra medical expenses late in life.

But yeah, both of those are gonna tell you that you go broke long before you run out of lifespan, unless I suppose you choose a particularly reckless lifestyle.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
You're looking to make approximately 52% annual return on $100K. That's basically impossible without taking extraordinary risk that's likely to end up with less than you started with.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You’re asking the safest way to make ~50% APY? Roulette comes to mind because at you have a 48% chance compared to other things that would yield that gain like day trading.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I think the only consistent ways to do this are all crimes OP.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
is there like a thread-preferred crime

or idk is there a crime megathread somewhere I could reference

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I dunno, I keep getting WhatsApp messages from people offering to show me how to make 2% per day in either forex or crypto. The crypto based ones will even show me how to do it for free.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

I think the only consistent ways to do this are all crimes OP.

Not true, Nancy Pelosi and her husband regularly get returns this high (or even higher).

So the answer, OP, is insider trading, just make sure you win a seat in Congress so it's legal.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
OP I know a legal way to get 50% returns.

Everybody knows that if you spend cash money before you deposit it then that money never existed in the first place. Find $5 in your sofa? That's a free $5 to spend on whatever you want.

So what you need to do is buy something with a debit card and then return it for cash. "Lose" the cash somewhere and "find" it a month later. Deposit it back into your account and viola, you just made 100% returns. You can do this an infinite amount of times.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

Not true, Nancy Pelosi and her husband regularly get returns this high (or even higher).

So the answer, OP, is insider trading, just make sure you win a seat in Congress so it's legal.

Nah, they're just buying tech stocks with leverage. Its not a particularly unusual hobby for wealthy people who live in the Bay Area.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

drk posted:

Nah, they're just buying tech stocks with leverage. Its not a particularly unusual hobby for wealthy people who live in the Bay Area.

I don't know poo poo about the specifics on Pelosi, but lots of congresspeople do insider trading all the time. So I concur with Ham Equity.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
You kind of need to know the specifics though to distinguish insider trading from just being a good investor or speculator...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drk posted:

While the second statement is in fact true, what rock have you been living under to even type out the first? It's very well know and provable with public filings that congresspeople have been insider trading since forever. Yes, including specifically Pelosi.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

You kind of need to know the specifics though to distinguish insider trading from just being a good investor or speculator...

An extremely common pattern: there's a closed-door meeting in Congress about some topic, then attendees at that meeting sell off stocks, then a public announcement is made that tanks those stocks' values. Is the evidence circumstantial? Sure. If regular people were involved, would it be enough to, at bare minimum, trigger an investigation and unsealing of the closed-door meeting details? Absofuckinglutely.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

While the second statement is in fact true, what rock have you been living under to even type out the first?

Here's a list of all the Pelosi's trades for the past year and a half. Its not *only* tech, but its almost all tech. As far as the leverage bit - I thought it was well known that one of their primary strategies was buying long dated ITM options.

As far as the insider trading bit, I admittedly only briefly looked into it and could find no evidence of it being true (politifact calls it false). Just a lot of people claiming that she must be insider trading because they have made a lot of money.... buying tech stock options? A *lot* of people do that in the Bay Area. A lot of people do that on these forums.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

drk posted:

Here's a list of all the Pelosi's trades for the past year and a half. Its not *only* tech, but its almost all tech. As far as the leverage bit - I thought it was well known that one of their primary strategies was buying long dated ITM options.

As far as the insider trading bit, I admittedly only briefly looked into it and could find no evidence of it being true (politifact calls it false). Just a lot of people claiming that she must be insider trading because they have made a lot of money.... buying tech stock options? A *lot* of people do that in the Bay Area. A lot of people do that on these forums.

I mean, it's 100% true that her position gives her insider access to information before the common folks get it. People with that kind of access, working for the government, should probably not be allowed to trade stocks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this politician insider trading discussion has run its course for the BFC Newbies thread. take it to a politics subforum, the stocks thread, the BWM thread, basically anywhere but here. thanks

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Another question: If I have student loans with interest under 5% and HYSAs currently pay 5.3% I should just never pay them right? Choose the longest term repayment plan with the lowest monthly payments (but highest total amount paid) and then only ever do the minimums, invest extra cash into bonds or index funds or something instead of using it to pay down the debt. And then possibly cash out those investments to pay the loan balance if rates go down?

Or is there some subtle complication with interest gains that changes the math here.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
You pay taxes on bank interest as income

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

You pay taxes on bank interest as income

Student loan interest is above-the-line tax-deductible, though, meaning you can take it as a deduction even if you itemize.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is there a small/home business thread or place where that's discussed on here? I'm starting a lil ol' sportswear brand, and I've got a lot of questions: When should I form the LLC (before I sell anything?)? When and where should I open a business bank account? What bookeeping software do folks recommend? Any other software/excel templates that folks like for tracking various metrics? I'm also curious about advertising on instagram (e.g. how much I should budget for that, how to make it more impactful, etc).

I know this is a real scattershot question, but I'd appreciate any resources on the above or tips on avoiding any common pitfalls in starting an e-commerce shop.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I would suggest that you need an attorney and an accountant. Before you sell things.

Could you DIY this cheaper? Sure, if everything goes well. But if it doesn't you're gonna pay through the nose because your template-incorporated-by-a-papermill org wasn't really set up properly, or you miss something in your specific jurisdiction about taxes because you decided to use quickbooks and never got an accountant to help you set things up.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is there a small/home business thread or place where that's discussed on here? I'm starting a lil ol' sportswear brand, and I've got a lot of questions: When should I form the LLC (before I sell anything?)? When and where should I open a business bank account? What bookeeping software do folks recommend? Any other software/excel templates that folks like for tracking various metrics? I'm also curious about advertising on instagram (e.g. how much I should budget for that, how to make it more impactful, etc).

I know this is a real scattershot question, but I'd appreciate any resources on the above or tips on avoiding any common pitfalls in starting an e-commerce shop.

every now and then someone asks if we have a startup or small biz owner thread and the answer is basically no. some exist in the archives but are not active. if our community has aged into the range of wanting such a thread, i highly support someone stepping up and a posting a new thread about it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
In a perfect storm of mail theft and bad delivery timings, my mailbox was broken into at least 7 times last week by someone with a master key. It appears that they took the following:

1) Paper copy of my tax filing from my accountant
2) Replacement driver’s license
3) Vehicle registration sticker.

I’ve already hit the typical credit bureau “lock it down” stuff, given the amount of info the thief got. What else should I be locking down / contacting that I’m not thinking of?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife is evaluating a job offer. It's in her time zone and the hq is down the road from our house etc. But it's less money than she's making right now. Trying to evaluate the out the door cost of switching jobs

Using very round numbers, if we're in the 30% tax bracket and it's a $10,000 haircut, does that mean realistically it's a $7,000 lower take home? And we're in California so we're in the 10% tax bracket so subtract another $1000 right? So she/we lose $6,000 but is no longer traveling an unpredictable 3-10 days a month. That's a pretty easy pill to swallow compared to $10k

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

My wife is evaluating a job offer. It's in her time zone and the hq is down the road from our house etc. But it's less money than she's making right now. Trying to evaluate the out the door cost of switching jobs

Using very round numbers, if we're in the 30% tax bracket and it's a $10,000 haircut, does that mean realistically it's a $7,000 lower take home? And we're in California so we're in the 10% tax bracket so subtract another $1000 right? So she/we lose $6,000 but is no longer traveling an unpredictable 3-10 days a month. That's a pretty easy pill to swallow compared to $10k

Not quite that simple, because you're putting money into 401K and whatnot from that 10K before the taxes get taken out.

Sounds like you really want her to have less commute and travel though, so its probably the right move anyway, no matter if its 8K or 9K. At least as long as its a good fit otherwise, decent prospects, and she's excited for it.

I'm guessing you're on your benefits, so those aren't really entering the equation at all?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah dropping your commute to almost nothing is worth a ton of money in my mind. I took a new job years ago that was easily a 20% pay cut from what I was making before but it was a 4 mile commute vs 40, and I don't regret it for a second.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah dropping your commute to almost nothing is worth a ton of money in my mind. I took a new job years ago that was easily a 20% pay cut

I guess the big thing is we recently (less than one year ) bought a house and paid our own way moving back to California so with bonus season behind us we managed to just finally dig ourselves out of debt and would be nice to start accruing some legit savings besides the bare minimum 6 month cushion. I was kind of big time gambling that we wouldn't have any major financial expenses pop up in the last year but everything turned out fine.

Plus we have some renovations we'd like to save up for, and the wife wants a secondary daily driver car etc. We already took a pretty big (5%) tax haircut moving from NC to CA not to mention CoL adjustment etc

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If she takes the job, how much longer would it take you to save up for those renovations assuming no major unplanned expenses?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Motronic posted:

I would suggest that you need an attorney and an accountant. Before you sell things.

I second this. I found a lawyer who I could speak with in a free consultation, and ended up paying them to do all of the paperwork to set up the LLC and also create a client service agreement to properly contain risk of angry client blowback. And there may be state licenses required if you are selling physical goods (I'm not). Also got a recommendation for a very good and reasonably priced CPA.

Talking with a lawyer is a great idea as a step-zero.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I guess the big thing is we recently (less than one year ) bought a house and paid our own way moving back to California so with bonus season behind us we managed to just finally dig ourselves out of debt and would be nice to start accruing some legit savings besides the bare minimum 6 month cushion. I was kind of big time gambling that we wouldn't have any major financial expenses pop up in the last year but everything turned out fine.

Plus we have some renovations we'd like to save up for, and the wife wants a secondary daily driver car etc. We already took a pretty big (5%) tax haircut moving from NC to CA not to mention CoL adjustment etc

I would think that one of the big advantages of living close to work would be not needing a second car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're talking close on a continental scale

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

also create a client service agreement to properly contain risk of angry client blowback

Absolutely critical for service providers, and will not come with your template incorporation. Great call out.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sundae posted:

In a perfect storm of mail theft and bad delivery timings, my mailbox was broken into at least 7 times last week by someone with a master key. It appears that they took the following:

1) Paper copy of my tax filing from my accountant
2) Replacement driver’s license
3) Vehicle registration sticker.

I’ve already hit the typical credit bureau “lock it down” stuff, given the amount of info the thief got. What else should I be locking down / contacting that I’m not thinking of?

Fill out an identity theft affidavit with the IRS to get an identity protection PIN and lock down your tax file.

e: I speak from experience here - someone filed a fraudulent return with my info in 2016. It was a huge pain in the dick and took 4 years to fully resolve.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

Fill out an identity theft affidavit with the IRS to get an identity protection PIN and lock down your tax file.

e: I speak from experience here - someone filed a fraudulent return with my info in 2016. It was a huge pain in the dick and took 4 years to fully resolve.

Thank you. I didn't even consider that. Just printed, will fax it in tomorrow.