Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
I couldn't find any other place to post this and I looked through the thread but I can't find an answer. Why do online credit-card payoff calculators give me a different answer than my credit card statement?

For example, I have a $356.23 balance on a credit card statement with 25.24% APR. The minimum payment is $16. The statement tells me if I make only the minimum payment I will pay off the balance in "about 5 years" (60 months) as is now required by the CARD act. However, every online calculator I have tried tells me it will be about 2 years (31-32 months) to pay it off. This card has no annual fees or any additional fees (I've had the account for about 8 years and have never had anything added to the balance besides purchases/interest). The 25.24% APR is the only APR on that card (there are no other rates being charged based on type of charges). What calculations do they do and what am I getting wrong?

I will have this debt paid off in the next two months by the way, since I know paying the minimum is stupid especially on such a small balance. I'm just curious as to how payoff is calculated and where the inconsistency is coming from as right now :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
I posted this in Student Loan thread but no response.

What do people mean when they say private student loans are structured like a credit card and not like a mortgage? Ive heard some law school grads pointing this out. The most I can come up with my google-fu is that it means interest accrues daily... how does this compare to a mortgage and how is it screwing student loan borrowers more than mortgage borrowers? (I know nothing of mortgages and indeed, shamefully little about debt structuring)