Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there anything comparable to mint.com out there for free? I realize that mint is free, but my main bank hasn't worked with mint.com for about 4 months now, and I've had them open "tickets" into it, but all they say is they are working on it. The last update I got was 3 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

herakles posted:

Unfortunately, since Mint got bought by Intuit, they have gone further and further towards the crapper. Yodlee or Wesabe are both free, but not quite as nice as Mint. Wesabe has a Firefox extension that helps to automate their update process.

What a bummer. Wesabe doesn't work with my bank either, even though it is listed. I sent off a help email a while ago with no response. I guess I could do the firefox downloader, but it seems like such a pain.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a reason why my "Quizzle" score would be over 100 points different than my Credit Karma score?

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my credit. 1 opened credit card that I pay off completely monthly, and a couple of old car loans that have long been paid off, and my score is 659 on Quizzle and 778 on credit karma. I know that these aren't true scores, but it seems a bit alarming to be so different.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is it better to put as much as your money as you can into your 401k as you can to avoid taxes?

I recently started a new job where I make more money than previously. My new employer matches 5% with their stock I believe. So right now I just have 5% going in. However now with the new job, I pay a lot more taxes. So is it better to try to max out your 401k to avoid taxes as much as possible?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Moniker posted:

Rule of thumb is put in what your employer matches then start a Roth IRA for the rest. You're not avoiding taxes because when you retire you're going to pay taxes on it. A Roth IRA is post-tax so you've already paid.

K, thanks. My previous employer didn't have any matching funds so I already had a Roth going, I'll just increase my contributions to it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How do credit unions tend to work when it comes to interest if it is compounded quarterly?

Like does the money need to be in there for all 3 months or 1 day or what?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I accidentally exceeded my HSA for the year. I didn't realize that any "employer perks" also get dumped into my HSA. (We got money for getting a physical done, and some wellness style activities) So I ended up with 300 dollars extra.

I've read that I have 2 options.

1. Pay 6% fee on 300 dollars, and adjust my next year's to exclude the 300 dollars. (plus whatever interest it earned?)
2. Get a check for the extra, and claim it on my taxes.

Option 1 seems like the much better choice since 6% is way less than my taxes.

Is there some sort of catch here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I have a variety of different accounts open. Like 3 checking accounts, 3 savings accounts, and a couple of investment accounts.

Is there something I should be documenting if i get hit by a car tomorrow and die, so that my wife will at least know where my money is hidden?

I mean, I know about power of attorneys and stuff, but should I make a a list of account numbers/locations? Most of our money is in joint accounts, but I've opened up a few different accounts in the last year because the interest rates were better on some online banks.