Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TagUrIt
Jan 24, 2007
Freaking Awesome
How do people normally split up their money? For a few years, I've been dumb and had everything in a free, no interest checking account. Time to fix that.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:
- Free checking account without much money in it. I would use this to pay off bills/rent and then have an extra $500 or so in there.
- Short term 'savings' in a money market or savings account. This would also include 6-9 months expenses. (The rates at the banks were at most 0.5%, but it looks like 1.5% is doable online.)
- Retirement Savings (Set up an IRA somewhere like Vanguard which seems to be popular as a hands-free solution. Employer doesn't do matching of 401k contributions at the moment.)

Is this a reasonable/normal set up?

One more question about the magical 3-12 months expenses: Where do most people keep this money?

(I used The Sun Financial Diary listing of savings rates. I found it useful, so it might be useful to have in the OP unless there is a better resource that I missed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TagUrIt
Jan 24, 2007
Freaking Awesome
I did all of my research and stuff into checking accounts at banks in my area, and ended up going with Wells Fargo yesterday. However, this afternoon in my mailbox, I found a promotional item from Chase that offers $150 free (as opposed to the $25 I was offered in person). Otherwise, the offers are effectively the same for me. (I don't write checks so the main difference of free checks vs. $14 /box doesn't seem like a big deal.)

Is there a reason why I shouldn't try to close my account with Wells Fargo tomorrow (obviously "returning" the free $10 they gave me thus far) and open one with Chase? The difference is $115, so it's definitely worth considering...

TagUrIt
Jan 24, 2007
Freaking Awesome
After bills and such, my monthly surplus is ~2k, which I have been using to build an emergency fund, but I now have one years expenses saved up. I don't know what to use that money for now.

In debt, I have:
Student loan - $11k - 7%
Student loan - $9.5k - 6%
Misc other student loans - $4k total - <3%
Car - $7.5k - 4.25%

I've already done my max Roth IRA contribution for the year. Should I invest my extra money in some other way or start paying down the loans faster?