Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Since calc taught me the wonders of compounding interest, I maxed out my '09 Roth IRA (with Fidelity). If I log onto the site, it says my balance is still $5000. How often does it go up? When will it say my balance is $5000.15 or whatever, just so I can have more elaborate Scrooge McDuck bankvault-diving dreams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, I just didn't know if Fidelity only updated official balances once a month or something, if that might be why it wasn't changing.

Right now I just have it all in Fidelity Freedom 2040 (I'd like to retire in 2042 if possible). Since that's so far away, I know I should probably do something riskier, so I'm probably going to put it in one of the Asset Manager funds. Probably the 60% one, if that makes sense?

In real life I'm usually pretty risk-averse (or at least I only take really smart risks), but I know that since I'm 23, I should be taking more short-term chances.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For my public student loans, I talked to the debt collector until we agreed on a settlement. They didn't send an offer letter, this was just done over the phone. However, I definitely recorded all our phone calls and I was very clear about making them confirm that the agreed-upon payment would completely settle my debt.

Per our agreement, I had my bank send a cashiers' check to the DoE. The DoE confirmed to the collector that I'd paid, and issued a "paid in full" letter to me.

Note I did have to pay taxes on the amount forgiven. This fucks a lot of people, so plan ahead. They report it to the IRS.

Also, you might be able to get a free consultation with a lawyer, but paying for a lawyer to handle the whole thing themselves is $$$$ and may not be worthwhile. To get as much as you can from a consultation, go in with all your ducks in a row -- all the info you can get plus a list of specific questions to ask.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I make $60k in NYC, and that's definitely not remotely poverty line. You can live very comfortably as long as you have rent & debt under control. With that only totaling $760, he should be doing very well.

Did you just recently start making in the $55-60k range? Or have you been making that much for years but blowing it all? With such low running expenses, do you know where the rest of your money is going?

For comparison, my studio is $1200/mo and I spend ludicrously more on utilities, food, etc., while also saving a bunch.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
hahaha thank you

$1200 on a studio is definitely a good deal, I'm just saying that at this income level, I think most people are paying way more in rent than $760. For example, $1000 from you and your gf would add up to a good 1br.

I also save $6k+/year post-tax (Roth IRA) but I'm putting a bunch of pre-tax money into a 401k, too. I don't know your job setup, but I'm guessing a 401k isn't an option, but that's still a bunch of money.

I think five vacations a year has to be murder on your budget. Are they like, $70 southwest deal to crash on a friend's couch in another city? Or full-on $1k+ vacations?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you qualify for USAA, they don't have physical locations, but they don't have physical locations anywhere so they have everyday workflows for doing everything without them. Great customer service, not evil other than being mostly for military families.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Read the actual contract for your debit card. Mine (also USAA) has protections in line with credit cards. Once my rent payment got stolen (check stolen from the mail, yes mailing checks is dumb but my landlord requires it), and when I told them, it was back in my account the next day. Other debit cards may be different, but read the contract to know what your situation really is.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Rent stabilization is another major factor. Anyone who moves into a rent-stabilized place in NYC while rent is as low as it currently is will be saving a lot of money for quite a while to come imo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No offense, and I think the advice is good, but this reads like it was written by an 80-year-old. Imo it also introduces and asks way too much for a 101.

I think it's important to find a source that meets people where they are without being condescending. For me as a millennial it was a Motley Fool 101 for teens followed by Bogleheads stuff. I also had a high school math teacher who talked absolutely nonstop about compounding interest.

For gen Z, idk, probably mainly that Reddit flowchart. I think it'll actually be more important and harder to keep her out of crypto and tiktok stock tips.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Counterpoint, if you don't have kids for various reasons, you can simply choose not to outlive a comfortable level of savings

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you're finna spill the tea on a bussin stack of guap but Willy-B is too cheugy, just stan the jlcollins Stock Series and sis will be a Bogle-Simp in no time, bet

https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/
lol I'm definitely not saying you have to go that far, just that most kids are going to look askance at advice like "don't splash out on tony apartments and crummy taxi cabs that will put you in hock," and tune out completely at "life is better without a smart telephone"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I feel like there are a lot of big question marks around how realistic it is for your fiancée to finish school and find a job while also being pregnant and having a baby. Probably not a bad idea to develop plans B and C around that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The money is coming from their grandma in her mid-90s, at which age she may not really get the concept of research chemicals or video game hats or whatever his issue is.

I agree a trust would be the way to go if everyone is on board with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think if you fail the questions (stuff like remembering previous addresses), that's when they make you prove your identity with documents

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Make up your own categories. That would be entertainment/fun imo, unless it was like medically necessary

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 25, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Spacewolf posted:

Does anyone have recs for an alternative to Mint for budgeting and money stuff?
sorry if this is too obvious, but look around your bank’s website. My bank did zero of that stuff when I started using Mint, but I was surprised to find that their new app has everything I used Mint for

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I’m “curious” in the sense that I looked it up once 15 years ago and now the best explanation I can give is “it works like a window AC, there are coils that the heat goes out of,” which is possibly true but not very edifying

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

You go to a hospital that is in-network for a procedure, so you're good, right? Nope - turns out one of the docs at the hospital who provided services is out-of-network, so you get hit with a huge bill when insurance balance-bills you.
This should no longer be the case due to the No Surprises Act of 2022