Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm trying to find out what my credit score is. Is MyFico.com legit? Any other preferred methods out there?

*I'm looking at getting an auto loan.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the quick reply. I have one more question... I am going back to school so my student loan ($1,800) is currently frozen and I don't have to make payments on it until I graduate from the RN program in two years. In the interest of improving my credit score, should I completely pay off that student loan ASAP or leave it alone until I graduate? Does it help my score to have it sitting on my credit report even though I'm not making payments on it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SiGmA_X posted:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Really tho, why do you want a loan? I'd steer clear if you can. You're in school and you want more debt... Whatever works tho sir.

You make a good point. My reasoning is that I live rent free and I have the GI Bill which is a guaranteed living allowance for the next two years. I have a 1989 Suburban which is not dependable, so I have a motorcycle in case it breaks down. Between gas ($200) and insurance ($100 for suburban and moto) I spend roughly $300/mo on my auto needs. I'm thinking if I sell the suburban and bike and get a new car (Hyundai Accent), my monthly payments + insurance won't be that much higher. Plus I have the dependability of a new car.

Or at least thats just my hosed up reasoning.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just a hypothetical question here:

I just won the lottery and the lump-sum payout is $30 million. The lottery officials have to wire transfer that money into an account. What type of an account would you use to accept that $30 million and have it safe/insured?

Also, I always hear the stories of lottery winners being broke after a year or two due to bad investments and poor financial advice. Is there a savings-type account where you could just put all the money and have it earn 3% with no risk?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Ignore me.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 25, 2012

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm trying to rebuild my credit. Currently I have a relatively low limit unsecured CC, a car loan and a student loan of about $1,300. I was thinking about taking my tax return and completely paying off my student loan. Would it help my credit score if I just continue to make payments on the student loan over the next year instead of paying it off in a lump sum now?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Less than a year ago, I made a bad decision and purchased a new car with a high interest rate from the dealer. I'm looking at refinancing the auto loan through my credit union but with research it looks like I might get penalized for paying off the original loan early. Here is the wording on my contract that I do not understand:

quote:

You may prepay all or part of your Principal Balance at any time. If you prepay, you must pay the earned and unpaid part of the Finance Charge and all other amounts due up to the date of your payment."

Does that mean if I refinance through my credit union, I still have to pay the original full finance charge which I would incur over the life of the loan?

*I might have my answer. I went to my lender's website and viewed the "payoff" amount and it did not include a full Finance Charge.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 2, 2013

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've made a huge mistake.

On Friday, 3/15, I made an online transaction with my Wells Fargo Visa Check/Debit card for $49 (Straight Talk) and the payment was approved. Today, I closed out my Wells Fargo checking account and later find out that the transaction from 3/15 hadn't posted to the account yet. The bank employee specifically told me that there were no pending transactions. Straight Talk's website is showing that the payment has been approved and service is active.

My question is, can the Visa Check/Debit card issued by banks count as bounced checks? I'm hoping that Wells Fargo will just decline the transaction when it tries to post, and I can deal with Straight Talk over the issue. My fear is that somehow the transaction will occur, and I'll have a negative $49 balance on a closed account and deal with that headache. Any ideas?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What is the easiest, most painless way to check my current credit score? Everything I look at wants me to sign up for a "trial period" which is a pain in the rear end to cancel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

eddiewalker posted:

You can get a report from one of the three bureaus per year from annualcreditreport.com

It won't give your real video game number though.

edit: can you do all 3 companies every year now? cool.

Yep I have my credit report but I want to see the FICO score or whatever companies see when I apply a credit card etc.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Do we have an Employee Benefits page? Its open enrollment season and my employers are getting rid of my current health insurance plan and offering 2 completely new ones. I need some help deciphering the HR talk.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there anything wrong with opening multiple savings account with the same bank? I have navy federal with a checking and saving account. I want to open another savings account so I have one for emergency funds and one for misc such as trips and big purchases etc.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With various mentions of people here using Credit Karma, I'm assuming the site is safe and free to see my credit score?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A rookie retirement investing question here:

My company offers a 401k through Fidelity and they match dollar for dollar up to 5%. I haven't invested anything in my 401k yet this year (I know I'm terrible).

If I have a comfortable savings, can I theoretically contribute 100% of my paycheck until the end of the year (minus insurance deductions)? Is there a downside to doing it like that?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds good to me if you have the savings to float it. That's what I do Jan 1. Ask if they true-up matching. If they don't then spread it evenly over the year for 2024 otherwise you will leave money on the table.

Ham Equity posted:

Probably, but how much money do you make? You do not want to go over the limit ($22,500).

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I did that when I hired onto a new job in October once. Just throw the entire paycheck into your retirement fund. As long as you aren't hurting your immediate finances and don't go over the contribution limit, it's fine.

Thanks. I think that's what I'm going to do (I won't go over the limit). From reading, I should also be able to open an IRA and deposit $6,500 from savings to hit the annual limit.

I gotta grow up and start taking my retirement savings a little more seriously now that I have a little financial stability.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for all the advice. I got enrolled in my employer's 401k program.

I have one related question

• I was under the base assumption that an employer 401k was always pre-tax. However, when I enrolled in my work 401k (through fidelity) it asked me if I wanted my contribution to be pre or post tax. I chose pre-tax. Is my base assumption of an employer 401k wrong?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thank you, all, for the advice. I spoke with my HR rep and asked about the 401k "true up" since I'm trying to max out my plan so late in the year. They've never heard of it but are doing some research for me.

My short-term plan going forward:
  1. Verify that new employer 401k plan is established and money is being contributed
  2. Create personal Roth IRA with Fidelity and put $6,500 in it before end of year
  3. Create a HYSA with American Express and transfer my savings into it
  4. I have three other retirement plans from former employers floating about, need to figure out how to roll it into my current employers plan

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any advice on tracking down old 401k accounts?

I believe I have 401k accounts with two former employers, having worked there 10 years ago and 8 years ago. These are medium sized corps that are still doing business. I wasn't making much then, so there probably isn't much there, but I want it. Is it as simple as emailing their benefits department and saying "where's my money"?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Uthor posted:

I would. Should be a quick reply.

(had an old job where I opened up my 401(k) and saw $0. Gave them a call, was told they switched services and I "must not have gotten get the letter they sent me", had it sorted out quickly.)

Motronic posted:

You can certainly try that, but if you've moved since then and the custodian has been getting return to sender mail when they send you statements and tax forms for a while they may have already (been required to) turn this over to your state's unclaimed property department. I'd start there.

For closure: I called Transamerica support and found an angel on the other end. She was extremely knowledgeable and patient, and tracked down everything for me. Long story short, my two previous employers moved their plans off to other services. With the information she provided I was able to create accounts on the respective sites and find my money. Now comes the slog of trying to roll everything over into my current 401.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With Fidelity, I have my current employer's 401k. Then, I have two old employers 401k, each showing under their own accounts.

Is there a good rule of thumb in dealing with previous employer 401k? Should I roll them over into my current employer's 401k, or should I create a NEW Rollover 401k and roll into that instead?

I'm keeping everything with Fidelity for simplicity.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rookie question about savings and taxes:

Let's say I put $100k into a American Express HYSA that has a 4.35% return. I live in Georgia. At the end of the year, I should have close to $104,350 in the account, right? How much would I lose when I file my taxes?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

H110Hawk posted:

I assume you're in the 22% marginal tax bracket. You would owe (not lose) ($4,350 * 22%) = $957. Same math for your state income taxes. Great news, you still have $3000 more.

Guinness posted:

Interest is taxed as ordinary income, so whatever your marginal rate is both federal and state

Ok that makes sense. And you're right, owe not lose.

I have money sitting in my credit union savings account right now. I'm contemplating shoving it into the American Express HYSA to at least be earning something until I can better understand my different options.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Are there any 'gotchas' I should aware of with transferring money from my bank savings to my new American Express HYSA? Any forms or penalties or red tape over a certain amount?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 29, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A scenario and a rookie question:

Lets say I had $100k sitting in savings and I wanted to make $200/day off of it to live. Business days, so that would 20 days per month. I'd only make a withdrawal at the end of the month, so that would be ~$4k in cash at the end of month.

What would be the lowest risk avenue to try something like that? Daily stock trading of some sort?

I'm not saying I'm ever going to attempt such a feat but a recent article had me wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Returning 4% a month is an annual return of 48% so the lowest risk avenue is probably doing some kind of options trading on margin and declaring bankruptcy when it goes wrong.

pmchem posted:

$200/day, as you define it, 20 days/month, would be 200*20*12 = $48,000/year. or 48% annual return on $100k. if you can find a consistent, reliable low risk way to get 48% annualized returns, be sure to tell the rest of us. it will not come from any advice you will find in the newbies thread.

That's what I figured. I won't be doing anything of the sort that but I was just curious of the "if you had to try, how would you do it" and wasn't sure of the best thread to ask.