Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Is it ever a good idea to cash out a small 401k to pay off CC debt? I am starting a new 401k in April when my new employer offers it (my one year anniversary) and I would have enough after the cashing out the old one to pay off about 1/3 of my debt. Is it worth it? I have about 5.6k in CC debt paying off 1k this month and I have 3.2k in the old 401k, I'm 22 if that matters. I also plan on paying about 100-300/month of the CC debt after the intial payments depending on much I can work my second job these next few months.

DenialTwist fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Thanks, the main reason I was looking at cashing out the 401k to payoff my debt is so I could begin to accumulate some cash savings as I currently have none and would like to pay cash for my next big purchase (a car; mine is 10). So at 22, would starting all over again be a terrible thing with the 401k; my plan is tentatively-1. Start hacking away at debt as fast as possible 2. When the debt goes down to one card (about 2k) cash out the 401k to pay it off and start sticking that 200 a month into cash savings so I can pay cash for a new car when I need one.