Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I'm curious if someone in my situation should start/continue to invest in the stock market, or if what I'm doing is a poor decision.

I currently am finishing up my second year of a two year's Masters program. I've racked up about $14k in Student Loans. Additionally, my father has personally loaned me another $9k for tuition which I can pay him back interest free at my leisure. Almost all of my loans are subsidized, meaning they won't accumulate interest while I am going to school. This works to my advantage because I plan on taking a short break to beef up my resume then moving across the country to get my PhD. From what I understand, the loans should be deferred if I continue my education. I also am looking at state schools where tuition will be low if I change my residence, which I plan on doing.

As far as assets, I have around $8500 in a credit union from my father's job that I have as an emergency fund. Additionally, my grandfather gave my sister and myself shares in Proctor and Gamble when we were children to help fund our education. Neither of us have needed to dip into them because we were excellent students and got everything through grants and loans. My shares currently value at about 12.5k

Now I've been taking an interest in investing my personal funds, and possibly putting some of the PG shares into other similar blue chip stocks. I've invested $500 of my own money into Pfizer stocks, and have another $275 in my account if I choose to invest again. I can afford to throw $150-200 into my brokerage account every two weeks with my paycheck, and plan to continue doing this. This number should rise sharply once I finish my M.A. this June. I want to invest in a handful of long-term stocks.

My ultimate goal is to come out of a pHD program owing under $50k in student loans and also having enough to cover the costs to start work as a therapist. Is investing in the stock market a smart decision?

As a follow up question, would it be a good idea to take some of the PG shares and invest them into other S&P stocks?

edit: As an aside, I also have excellent credit.

Angora fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU