Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I currently use Bank of American for checking and savings. I've NEVER had a problem with them, even though they seem to be the devil for a lot of people.

However, my insurance is through USAA, thanks to my Dad being ex-military. Currently, I have an auto policy and a brand new home policy (just bought a house) through them, and having them bundled together has saved me about $450 in premiums on my house (good driver discount + long term loyalty).

So that said, has anyone heard anything about USAA's checking and savings? Or are there any military types/children of military types who can fill me in on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

moana posted:

There are two major factors to consider when deciding whether to cancel a credit card:
- length of your credit history with the card compared to your total credit history
- amount of credit on the card compared with how much total credit you have

Both credit history and credit amount are generally positive for your credit score, so if cancelling will hurt either one significantly, don't do it. If you have open cards with longer histories, and your total credit line is big compared to the card, then it really doesn't matter if you cancel it.

Actually, this ties into another question I had...

Currently, I have a $17k limit Mastercard from Citibank and a $1k credit card from a local bank that I use for my monthly purchases (gym membership and such) that gets paid off monthly.

For about a year, I had maxed out the Citicard every month, barely managing to hack away at it. I managed to finally pay it off in full thanks to a financial windfall. Obviously, I had a problem with credit card spending that is finally under control, and as such, that card has been in the freezer for the past two-three months, completely paid off and untouched.

I've been wanting to cancel it in order to resist the urge to just go nuts with spending...but I am closing on a house in a week (the other part of the windfall) and didn't want to screw up my credit score until everything was in order and the loan/mortgage had been approved and the rate locked. Now that everything's done, I STILL want to cancel the card so I don't go nuts furnishing the entire house with plasma TV's. :)

I wanted to cancel the $17k card and apply for a $5k card from USAA that I can freeze and use for "OH HOLY BALLS" emergencies, but not at the expense of shooting my credit score in the foot by throwing away $17k in "available credit" if the last few posts had been

Would I be better off keeping the Citicard, but asking them to lower the credit limit and APR? Right now, it's $17k with freakin' 29.99% APR and I can get a $5k card from USAA at 9.99%.

Apologies for posting in here...I plan on getting a Pillowpants budget once I'm all moved in to my house and my budget's relatively settled and making a thread about it, but for now, this seems like the best place to post.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Posting this here because I'm sure this is the type of question a newbie would ask.

I have to watch CNN all day at work, and they always run this ad for a place called Consumer Debt Advocates. They advertise helping you settle your credit card debt by using "the free information the credit card companies DON'T want you to know..."

I don't need credit card help, but I just have to know, what type of information could a place like that be offering?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Long story short, there is no easy way to get out of debt and these companies are selling the idea that they can make it easy.

Thanks. I figured something as much, and they're just preying on the "credit card companies are evil" line of thinking.

Basically, the best way to get out of debt is not to get in it in the first drat place. I wish commercials would say that...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

moana posted:

:smug: Zeta is my favorite Zeta.

I wish I were taught earlier how to invest properly, and I don't think people are informed enough about how dangerous CC debt or new car payments (or heck, active investment) can be. I'd love to teach finance mathematics in school just to get people started on the right foot because gosh, it would have been nice to know that instead of getting thrown blindly into the adult world of personal finance.

Could we get this in some kind of OP? CC debt is what killed me for years, and now it's the number one thing I worry about when it comes to my long-term finances.

I wish there was some kind of...pie chat or ratio to warn young people about the dangers of frivilous spending and purchasing on credit. "Your budget should be 80% need/20% want" or something along those lines.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Does anyone have any experience with USAA as a bank?

Currently, I have my checking and savings with Bank of America, and due to recent events, am looking for a new bank/credit union. I have my auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, and AmEx card through USAA because my Dad is a Vietnam vet. I've been nothing but pleased with them and their service since I've used them, but I don't know anything about how they are with providing banking services.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Feces Starship posted:

This doesn't answer your question but USAA insurance OWNS.

I agree! When my 2002 Chevy Cavalier was totalled back in 2003 due to a tire blow-out, USAA cut me a check for the blue book value of a NEW 2003 Cavalier.

Which I used to buy a Hyundai Elantra. :)

No joke, though, the times I had to deal with USAA insurance, it's been easy, pleasant, and with people who knew what the hell they were doing. Which is one of the reason I'm considering them as a bank, if the customer service exists in that branch too.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Apologies if this doesn’t quite fit in this thread, however I didn’t see any place else to put it, plus I figure it may be the kind of question someone new to finance might ask about as an option.

I always hear ads on the radio or see them on TV about “if you owe $25,000 or more in credit card debt, there’s a secret that the credit card companies don’t want you to know – you only have to pay a fraction of what you owe, without bankruptcy or consolidation loans. In fact, we have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau!”

I could see how someone who has a ton of credit card debt might think “hey, this is an option for me!” But considering the ads for these companies only run for three months or so before they disappear only to come back with a different name/sales pitch, where is the scam/fine print? What’s the scheme for these types of businesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Omne posted:

My personal favorite radio ad for finance is the guy on SiriusXM who goes "Do you have savings in a 401k or an IRA? If so, then I hope you're prepared to lose 30, 40, or 50% of more in the future, 'cause it's not a question of if the market crashes, but when. Users of my system didn't lose a penny when the market crashed in 2008, and they won't the next time either. Call for my free book!"

Yeah, SiriusXM is where I hear these ads, usually on the comedy channels or the odd times I put on Patriot (right-wing) Radio for a laugh.

The only ad I've ever heard for more than six months was "How To Get Rich In Real Estate" from a guy who says that his power got turned off nine times.