Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Small question, and I don't know if this is the right place to put it or not, but I'd rather not start a thread for a minor issue and haven't seen a better megathread to put it in.

My girlfriend moved up to MI from VA this time last year. In the several months prior she had found a breast lump, had it tested, found it wasn't cancer but was told to have it removed anyway, and had it removed. Once she moved up here, she got one or two minor bills forwarded from her old address, which she paid. As far as she knows, she's paid everything off. No one has called, and no new bills have arrived.

Today a letter arrived from a debt collector from VA, claiming there was a test done that she didn't pay for, to the tune of $127. The letter provides contact information for the collection agency (obviously), the name and account number of the creditor (a Norfolk hospital lab), and a notice that "Unless you notify us in writing within 30 days of receipt of this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt, or any portion thereof, we will assume the debt is valid."

The issue is, as far as she knows she's paid everything off; this is the first we've heard of this charge. However, it was a hectic time where she was living back and forth between two different places, breaking up with her ex, and preparing for a big life-changing move. That said, any records of these bills and payments she might have are either inaccessible in VA or are just lost.

I have the thought in my head (correct me if I'm wrong) that conventional wisdom is "don't loving talk to the collection agency." How do we go about resolving this? $127 isn't bank-breaking, but it IS significant to our low-income household. If there's no other option than to pay it, we'll pay it, but I'm curious if there's more to it than that, if we can contact the lab in question or hospital directly to figure it out. Or if, without records, we're screwed regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

SiGmA_X posted:

There is actually a massive thread on the subject here. For some reason Search isn't letting me put in a subforum.. Look for "credit" in the thread title in Ask/Tell. But [based on my limited knowledge, mostly from that thread] I think you just want to send a PFD and see what happens.

If you mean the "Dealing with Debt Collectors" thread, it's in the op: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974