Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ne plus ultra
Dec 20, 2009
Hi all. I'm curious about what I should do in my situation.

I'm 24, and soon to be entering a PhD program. My career plans are such that I likely won't have anything a stable job with a good retirement plan until my mid-30s, but I'll also be retiring later than most.

For the next ~5-ish years, I'll be making $30,600 in Boston. I currently have ~$10,500 in savings/checking, mostly because I was saving up to buy a car. I won't be needing that car anymore, since I decided to move to Boston. I have no investments, and my only debt is in my student loans. The student loans total $15,655, but most of this is in subsidized loans, so they will not gather interest while I'm back in school. The rest is ~$6,000 at a variable rate of 2.23%, which will gain interest, but do not need to be paid.

I'm going to wait until after the move to do anything, but I feel like that's a bit too much money to just have sitting in savings. I'm not certain what my expenses will be after moving, either, but I know I can definitely cover them with my stipend, and hopefully I'll still be able to save a bit. What does it make the most sense to do? Should I pay down my student loans? Or, since I'm not paying much interest, should I open something like a Roth IRA (even though I couldn't make the max contribution)? I have no particular goals in mind for what I should be saving for... I might be looking at a car in six years, a down-payment on a house in nine years, and of course, retirement.

Reading a few posts here in similar situations, I'm thinking that I definitely want to let the subsidized loans sit there, and I should put whatever I can manage into some kind of investment (Roth?) I don't know what to do about the unsubsidized loans... should I ignore them, because of the low rate, or pay them down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ne plus ultra
Dec 20, 2009

Strict 9 posted:

I assume your rent is being paid for by your program, or that you're living in a dorm? Just because you said you'll easily cover them with your $30,600, but you also can't live in Boston making that amount of money if you're actually paying rent.

Sure I can, but I won't be living alone. I'll be getting a two- or three-bedroom place. I won't have a ton of spending money, but it's definitely livable. It's harder to estimate non-rent expenditures, so I'm not sure what will be left over, but I'll have beer money at the least.

Strict 9 posted:

Wanting to save for retirement early on, especially in such a low tax bracket as you will be in, is a great thing to try to do. And you'll almost certainly beat the 2.23% interest rate on your loan by investing in the market right now.

But I still feel as though the prudent thing to do is pay down those loans, starting with of course the one accruing interest. I got a $5000 loan my first year of graduate school that was 1% interest that didn't need to be paid until I finished, but I returned it two weeks later when I realized I could get by without it.

I mean say you graduate in 5 years, and you want to rent your own place in Boston or, god forbid, by a house in that area. It's going to be much more difficult to do that once you figure in the extra hundreds of dollars you are going to be paying on those loans, and the money you would have in that Roth wouldn't be doing much good in that respect.

This doesn't really make logical sense to me, though... if I pay down the loans completely, then I wouldn't have money for the down payment on a house regardless. I'd think that if it's likely I could beat the interest rate on the loans, then it wouldn't be prudent to put money into the loans.

So the bigger question is whether I should be looking at something more liquid than a Roth, so I can plan to immediately pay down the $10,000 of loans that are stuck at 6.5% after I graduate and they start gathering interest again. OTOH, my salary will also be a bit more livable at that point, and my payments are perfectly manageable at even my current salary (better than that stipend in Boston, though) so I'm looking at this from a long-term perspective.

Engineer Lenk posted:

I have a differing opinion on this one. First you see if you can actually live on 33k/year in Boston while paying rent, keeping your savings liquid as a 6-month emergency fund. If you can and you're still putting money aside, then you fund a Roth to the 5k/year limit. Your projected income will jump more than your debt in your first year out of school, if you're getting a PhD in something employable, so you just live like a grad student for another year and knock it all out then.

This makes sense to me, though I'm not sure if I can knock out my loans in one year if I'm funding a Roth to the maximum I can handle (which certainly won't be 5K after the first year). I plan to do a post-doctoral fellowship after graduating, so I'll still be rather underpaid for a few more years.

So yeah, let's say I have an extra $150/mo after expenses. Should I be saving that money for retirement or saving to pay off my loans? Should I dump a good portion of my savings into a Roth, then plan to use new savings towards my loans? (Again, I won't be gaining interest on 2/3 of the loans until after I graduate in ~6 years) And if I were to plan to use it on the loans, then what is the best way to invest it?

ne plus ultra
Dec 20, 2009
I will have a fellowship of somewhat more than $30,000 in Massachusetts. This will all be taxable income, and it appears nothing will be withheld. I'm having a difficult time figuring out roughly how much I should be budgeting for taxes annually. I was thinking 15% should be sufficient, but I have no idea how to confirm this... I know nothing about taxes, I just plug the numbers into a tax app and let it do its thing.