Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Quick question about budgeting:

I'm about a year out of college and I've been lucky/frugal enough to not have student loans or credit card debt to deal with, so I've gotten kind of lazy with budgeting and saving and all. I started putting together an emergency fund but I just got slammed with car repairs in the ~$2000 range. Luckily, between my tax return and the next paycheck I should be should be able to cover it, but money's going to be tighter than I'd like for a while. What are some good basic budgeting tips to just cut spending in general? I'm trying to treat this as an opportunity to become more fiscally responsible. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Consider selling your modern deck? I know you're primarily looking for budgeting advice but if you're sitting on $500 (half your debt) in Goyfs or whatever, maybe it's worth selling it and either playing a $200 deck or just drafting a couple times a month at ~$10-15 instead of having a hugely liquid asset sitting on your desk when you're drowning in debt (and at your income ratio, you are).

Also, maybe allot $20 to weed a month? Nobody's expecting you to go from $60 to $0 and it's easier to budget if you're being realistic.

$60 for food also seems ambitious, that's only 1 "Go out to eats" and perhaps a fast food every two weeks. Bump that up to $100, maybe?

Forget the new watch and the new computer and unless it's a matter of utmost importance, whoever you were going to pay to extract hard drive data can wait.

If you're actively paying down your debt, it's okay if it takes an extra month. If you get a week into budgeting and you're too restrictive on your discretionary spending, you're going to say gently caress it and get a second credit card. What about this?

Income: $1,133
Debt: $1,000
Fixed expenses: $668.50
Debt repayment: $250
Magic: $30
Food: $100
Devil's Lettuce: $20
Other Discretionary Spending (because something will come up and if it's not budgeted you're going to sink): $65
Emergency fund: $0, you have a "safety net" living with your mom and you're paying 20% APR on a card, get rid of that balance

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Hi folks. I'm looking for advice about a particular problem i've identified with my spending. I've gotten pretty good at cutting out fast food and making rice and beans and grilling chicken or whatever at home, saving like, $5 or $6 a day.

The problem is that I then regularly convince myself to make stupid $300-$400 luxury purchases and then think "well, did some good and some bad this month, way to go me!" and the result is my cc debt growing by a couple hundred a month. I'm trying to right the ship before it gets (more) out of hand. I make a new budget every month and then blow right past it and say "okay, now that I have [x lovely useless expensive thing] i'm not going to need to spend more money next month" and inevitably i do. The day-to-day spending is under control but i convince myself that i need and deserve things that i definitely don't. Does anyone have any hints to be a goddamn adult? (Mostly I'm asking if anyone has had a similar issue and has some specific advice for this case. Trust me, I know how incredibly stupid of an issue this is, feel free to mock me relentlessly.)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Quick question -- I'm going to be on a game show in the near future and I'm estimating that I'll win somewhere from 10k-100k (probably wishful thinking for the top end, but who knows). If I receive this money in April/May, is there anything wrong with the idea of throwing it in a bank to earn a few hundred in interest before taxes are due next year? I'm concerned that this is either stupid or illegal for some reason I haven't thought of yet but figure I'd rather ask here and be embarrassed for a day or two than end up the focus of the BWM thread when I go to tax evasion jail next year.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The criticism isn't about getting to 12k, it's about cutting from six months to three-and-a-half to save a couple bucks of interest on a debt that already has a payment plan in place that's working

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Loel posted:

May 2018:

Job is a sales job with 45 min drive either way, and is often 10-12 hour days. Girlfriend does not work. Credit score is 630.

Take home monthly average: 2200. Had one month of 1000 that we are still recovering from.
Rent: 900. work is occasionally late with pay, so this might be 1000-1100
 with late fees.
Car payment: 400

Car insurance: 260 (3 people)

Internet: 100 (includes hulu netflix etc)

Personal loan: 90

Credit card minimum: 25

Gas just for me working: 90
. More if gf drops me off.
Student loan: deferred till june
Cell phone: 0, friends plan

Energy: 0, roommate pays

Credit card: 300, 26%

Personal loan: 800, 18%

Car loan: 18,000, 12%

Student loan: 10,000. 6%

Things Im putting off: 100 car repair, 300 friend loans, 500 college transcript late fees

Savings: 0

This one doesn't really need much advise, obvious fix is obvious. I'm applying for jobs closer and/or with guaranteed/higher pay, and pushing gf to get back to work. Figure Ill do a monthly update to keep myself accountable.

Half your paycheck is going to rent, and at 11 hours a day you're making $9 an hour (on the good months, not sure what the deal is with the $1000 month or how likely it is to recur). There's nothing in there for food or anything like that. It seems like you're in a lot of trouble and would probably get a lot of mileage out of your own thread.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

If I'm very, very, very, VERY risk-averse (to the point that no loss is acceptable in this scenario) is there anything better than CDs?

I'm aggressively funding my 401k, so I understand that even if the market seems volatile there's no better long-term plan than putting whatever money you can in and waiting 30 years. Separately from that, though, I have a chunk of money that I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with yet, but I don't want to leave it in a savings account earning 0.0021% or whatever. I'm probably going to want to draw upon it in 2-3 years and I'm okay not touching it until then. Thanks!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

DJCobol posted:

100% vested in the company match immediately, or after 1 year? I've never heard of such a thing personally. Usually you get like 33% or 25% a year so that you are fully vested after 3-4 years.

Just short of half of employer plans have immediate vested matching, per Vanguard's How America Saves 2017 (p. 15)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

uhh with that consumer debt burden may i suggest making a thread in here

:emptyquote:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

$11k in debt doesn’t come from no where. I would recommend creating a thread , posting your honest current income, savings and budget. Getting some advice from this forum could really help. I’m assuming there has to be some spending habits that you have that are hurting.

First step is admitting what is going wrong so you can fix it.

:emptyquote:

(seriously, this would at least help you be honest with yourself even if you don't take any advice)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

velocirapstar posted:

If I'm basically living paycheck-to-paycheck (although I have a decent chunk in savings, retirement, etc) while on a $130k salary, I'm assuming making its own :effort: post about my spending and budget would be the best way to be ridiculed and/or assisted by thoughtful goons?

(Full disclosure: this lessens the comedy factor but I have 0 debt aside from my mortgage and credit score of 823 so it's not like I'm in dire straits immediately, just looking to make some improvements)

You earn over 10k a month and have no debt. Hell yes I want to read this post

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

velocirapstar posted:

I'll post more details as to monthly spend in its own thread and link it here.

What other info would be helpful for people to review to make recommendations?

Please do! Honestly you could probably c/p that post into its own thread and go from there.

$9200 income
$0500 health insurance
$0900 pre-school
$1750 mortgage

You have over $6000 that isn't accounted for here. Where does it gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo? :eyepop:

I'd say post your mint categories (if not the specific line items) for the last couple months so we can take a look and berate you

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Typically with large purchases I save for the total and buy stuff when I have the money, but I would like a laptop sooner than later and I'm hoping to capture a good deal on black friday. Additionally, and this might be better for a tech subforum, but at what point does more cost NOT mean a better computer?

for laptops, about $600-650 -- there's a thread on this here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651 (i know it's impossible to navigate the forums this month)

Going into (more) debt to get a computer strikes me as a poor idea. It sounds like you haven't really thought this out (which is fine! you're getting more information to (ostensibly) inform your purchase). I would definitely not open a new credit card or get a weird internet loan if at all possible.

I'd say figure out exactly what you *need* from the computer, and if you actually need it right now. If it's just writing code, can you do that in a chromebook or something? Having a new laptop is definitely sweet, but you don't want to ruin the next two years+ of your financial life for it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Mocking Bird posted:

Highly recommend Food Maxx and Grocery Outlet.

I can't get enough of grocery outlet. Everything is so cheap!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

in my opinion there will probably be changes made at some point to the rules for HSAs once regulators realize that they are going to turn into giant second IRAs for rich people

I have some bad news about the people that make the rules

edit: i also have some bad news for myself about missing the entire last page before posting, oops

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Psychiatrist.

:yeah:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

her industry(I won't go into the details but it has been dead in the water due to Covid) starts back up we are considering other options.

Is she like, a teacher? or is she like, a masseuse or a theater usher or a dave and busters manager? There's a lot of industries that you simply can't expect to come back this year if ever, and as unpleasant as that is to think bout you gotta factor it in when you're considering taking out a loan (even from yourself).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i'm with moana here. the vultures are hungry. what DOES your apr/minimum payment look like here?

50k? this is a level 10 hit-every-panic-button-and-eat-ramen emergency.

So, 50k debt, you make 100k combined. god willing, wife gets her job back at a normal salary very soon (pessimistic about this, but for the sake of argument)

You're talking about spending 6 months of your combined salary on the black hole that is your debt (or your 401k loan). This is doable over five years, I don't think it's doable over two. You're talking about cutting all your spending by 25%. And things like rent and insurance and gas can't be cut like that, so you're really talking about slashing discretionary spending by a much larger amount. It's easy to say "we'll spend 25% less on fun/food" but what about 60%?

I know you said you turned things around, but you also ostensibly also saw the credit cards hit 10k and then 20k and then 30k on their way to 50k.

Not that it's tremendously relevant to the question you asked, but how much are the student loans? I know some are in forbearance at the moment but that'll only last until sallie mae or whoever wants blood again. Make sure you don't factor not paying those into your planning.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Oh boy!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll make a thread, but if "Sell the SVX" turns into that thread's version of "sell your shitcoins" I'm just going to abandon it and try to keep myself honest without it.

With the utmost respect and kindness, I ask "how is this working out for you right now?"

e: this is coming from a bfc success story--i made a thread when i was hopelessly addicted to Daily Fantasy Sports (gambling) and needed people to yell at me for two full pages before i stopped playing. now i'm married, debt free, and recently bought a car (old honda) with cash! i'm not sure exactly how emotionally beneficial it is for you to have that albatross of a car but i can tell you that it feels very good to be able to buy a similarly priced one in cash !!

Spokes fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 23, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Is Empower (formerly Personal Capital) still the go-to for seeing all your accounts and transactions in one place? I find need to review all my credit card transactions (across quite a few cards and banks) going back through last July. In the past I used Personal Capital for this, but they don't play well with at least one of my banks. Just curious if there is anything else out there with more polish that isn't evil incarnate like Mint.

I started using it again earlier this year--i'm not sure what the alternatives are but I'm really enjoying it. it did fight me forever on removing an old car loan but i think that's probably a bank sync issue and not anything directly wrong with empower

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Ally also offers no-penalty CDs that have anywhere from 0% to 0.50% over their savings account rate where you can pull your money out without penalty BUT the difference between 3.85 and 4.25 is far less important than the difference between 0.05 (or whatever you're getting) vs 3.85 so really just find a savings account you like and park it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

jimmychoo posted:

can i just like have someone sit down with me and plan out my cc debt + other stuff? it doesn’t seem worth a CFP but maybe that’s what they’re actually for - i work in finance and am not allowed to invest at my current job so there’d be none of that. just need someone who understands money to guide me on my stupid bs. i don’t make a
ton but i don’t make nothing either

you could make a thread!