Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When banks re-open on Monday, do they address/update weekend transactions in a certain order? I got my first paycheck for my new job in the mail on Saturday and deposited it electronically that day (banking app + picture), with a confirmation message from my bank that they had accepted the deposit. However, I ran a couple errands today and got an alert that I overdrew my account by $30 or so. Will I be safe from an overdraft fee since I deposited the check before spending any money? The money I put in for my paycheck is way more than enough to cover what I spent today, and enough to cover any overdraft fees unless they go crazy and charge me $500 or something. This is with Chase, and I couldn't find anything about it on my account page there.

VV It was only for a couple days so the check is about $300. I just wanted to buy groceries with my own money for once OK :(

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hattusa posted:

I've heard that major banks like Chase process transactions in batches ordered from smallest to largest. Why? Because paychecks are often relatively large, which means all those $5 Starbucks coffees go through first to rack up their $30 overdraft fees while you're "overdrawn".

Welcome to modern banking.

Can't say I'm surprised but that's a little scummy if true. Lessons learned I guess, and also a reminder to go bug payroll about getting me on direct deposit sooner :argh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
E: This can go in a better thread.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 18, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm applying for health insurance at my job, what are the pros and cons of having my benefit costs deferred on a pre-tax basis vs a post-tax basis?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
X-post from the Goals thread because this thread may be better for this- my student loans are currently split across two accounts, one at ~$1500 with a 5.6% interest rate (subsidized), and one at ~$4k with a 6.8% rate (not subsidized). I'm paying more than the minimum each month and have the option to allocate the excess payment into these accounts in any ratio I define. Would it be better to concentrate on getting rid of the smaller loan ASAP or should I bring down the larger loan sooner due to its higher interest rate? My goal is to pay $3k into them this year ($250/mo vs. the $100 minimum I have to hit), which would be enough to get rid of the smaller of the two.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What's the easiest way to get a printable version of my credit score? Wife and I are looking into house-buying loans and one lender wants to see our credit scores to advise us properly. Signed up for Chase's CreditJourney site since I bank with them, and they gave me a nice little credit report and all...with no way to print it out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FCKGW posted:

You can't just print out the page from your browser?

Also if you just want the credit report (not the score) then go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

EDIT: You should be able to just tell your lender what you think your score is an your income and poo poo and get a pre-qual letter. He shouldn't need an actual print out unless his bank is being picky about pre-qual letters which have no obligation to honor until they start doing real paperwork.

Yeah I can take a screengrab of the page with my score, but it doesn't actually say anywhere on the page "this is C-Euro's credit score". I think it's my wife being picky more than the bank, I asked her why I couldn't just roll up and tell them in-person and she said she wanted it to look like we actually put work into this :v: Thanks for the tip

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Right now we have open enrollment for health insurance at my employer. The election form asks if I want pre-tax or after-tax elections for my insurance payments, and normally I would pick pre-tax except that our benefits rep said something in passing about "being on the hook for the whole 12 months" if I went pre-tax. This caught my ear because I am desperately trying to leave this job, or at least I hope to within the next 12 months. Is there anything to what she said or should I stop over-thinking and just go pre-tax?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Do we have a thread about start-ups or goons ITT that have been involved with start-ups? My wife is in the process of launching a start-up and crowdfunding their first run of product and she's completely miserable; I'm helping where I can but she's the type who doesn't like to delegate (especially right now while her vision of the brand isn't firmly established) so I'm looking for entrepreneurial advice so I can least help her think through some of these issues.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone ITT want to talk about their experience with going back to school while working? My wife met someone who works in a field that interests me, who did a 1-2 year certification program for that field at a local university and is now working in said field. However, this type of cert isn't required for this field and I already have both a Bachelor's and Master's degree which are good enough qualifications on paper. It sounds like the main benefit of this program would be the hands-on experience it provides, and it even has an internship with a local company baked into the actual courseload. I already have a 9-5 job (which is fine but nothing I'm super-attached to) so I'd be working all day and then doing three hours of coursework one night a week. Paying $15-20k and doing college courses one night a week for two years is a terrible value proposition for getting networking opportunities in a field that looks interesting to me, right?

VV Thanks, I'll check it out.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 23, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My wife and I rent an apartment in a major metropolitan area. Today someone had taped a copy of a civil tax petition to our door. Said petition was filed by the city against the company that owns my building, and if I'm reading it correctly my landlords owe the city/IRS about 4 million in back real estate taxes and other fees. Guess it's time to move "shopping for our own house" onto the front burner again!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does the goon hivemind still dislike health savings accounts? I'm going through ope enrollment at work and apparently any money that you put into an HSA doesn't expire at the end of the year if you don't spend it, and you can take it with you if you leave the company. Seems like it might be OK to put in :10bux: per paycheck for the one or two times a year that I go to the doctor, provided I actually remember that I have the account.

E: Got FSA and HSA twisted in my head.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 15, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You're right, I'm getting that crossed with an FSA. Thanks, I'll go ahead and put a few bucks into ours.

Adhemar posted:

If you can afford it, don’t use it to pay for healthcare expenses. Invest it, save receipts, and pay yourself back later.

Could you elaborate on this please?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the HSA advice, I'm early 30s and (fortunately) in good health so I don't think about these things in as much depth as I should. Until some physical therapy sessions this year I was basically doing two dental check-ups and one doctor's office trip per year.

Not all of our health plan options offer the HSA but one of our CDHP options has an HSA with employer contributions that looks kind of tempting. "Free" money seems nice.

E: The bummer is that I signed up for our cheapest health care plan when I started working here in September and immediately had a bunch of physical therapy appointments that cost me some money thanks to said cheap-o plan. Now we're in open enrollment so I'm eyeing our more expensive PPO plan...but my last scheduled PT appointment is the day after enrollment ends and I don't know if I'll need to go back after that. Picking a health care plan sucks, who knew?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 18, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My wife runs a start-up which with I am unaffiliated, save for being married to her. She's working on closing a bank loan to help fund the business, and is talking about transferring ownership/responsibility of our shared debts and assets (basically our house and our car) solely into my name, in an effort to shield them from the bank if the business defaults on said loan. That sounds pretty drastic in my head and I don't know much about this space, so I'm looking for answers to the following:

-What language should I look for in the terms of the loan to determine if such a move is needed? I have a copy of the terms and I've told her that I want to read them before she signs anything. Right now her company is named as the borrower but she is listed individually as a guarantor, which I assume means that her personal assets would be fair game if the business's assets are exhausted in paying back the bank.

-Related to the above, will this actually do what she is hoping it will do in the worst-case scenario, or would I still be liable as her spouse even if we don't officially have shared assets in our name? FWIW I am not named in the terms of the loan.

-Assuming everything works out and the business pays off the loan in full, how tough would it be to get the titles for our house and car back in a shared state?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
She does have legal counsel on retainer so I would assume that they've reviewed the contract, but I will check with her to make sure that they have.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

one of the primary purposes of a business is specifically to shield the private assets of the people that run the business. If she never actually set up a business (with an EIN and everything) then that's what she should be doing, instead of shuffling around ownership of specific big assets.

I am 99% sure she has done this (started the business in 2018, has filed corporate taxes on it for multiple years) but I try to keep her business life at arm's length, so again I will have to confirm. Thanks y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can get time with her lawyer later today, and I have a lead on another lawyer in the event that I want a second opinion. I'll go through the contract over lunch, but any general questions I should be asking them beyond what I initially posted here?