Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

Can I buy a put on my house because if it loses value I'm gonna be hosed. :v:

Edit: seriously though is there a good way to protect your biggest asset, besides buying in a bad neighborhood and investing the difference in an index fund?

Maybe buy puts on builders, not quite the same thing tho... Zillow and redfin are having to write down a ton of properties they were holding the bag on. Not sure how many are left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Natty Ninefingers posted:

How the gently caress do I buy a car? Is it more sensible to try to get used, or is the market still do fucky that you might as well suck it up and get new.

Sorry, it’s late and I’ve been lucky enough to never have to really do this before.

Agggggggggh

edit:whoops found the car thread link in the general discussion. Still could use a hug.

It'll be ok! I'm kinda curious what the car thread link says, depending on the state the EV subsidies can be really drat nice. I think in colorado you can get up to ~17K off if you qualify for everything. 7.5K from federal, 5K from state, 5K from the utility if your income qualifies. I don't think the leaf qualifies for the whole federal subsidy anymore, but it *could* still be ~15K new. Kinda hard to beat.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I think modifying this to "I can afford this car, and I like this car" and largely forgetting about who won the negotiation is maybe the best you can do. The guy selling the car sells tons of cars every year, while the buyer is getting a car every 5-10 years probably. You're out of your depth the moment you walk onto the lot, it's just the way it is.

Not entirely unlike home-buying. Do I like this house? Can I afford this house? Do I plan to be in this house for a while? That's about as far as you can go as a buyer.

Man, that's kind of defeatist. You have plenty of leverage in both situations. In the one situation, there are a lot of cars, and a lot of dealers trying to move those cars. In the other situation, people are usually very time constrained when they are trying to sell a house. If they don't sell it quickly, the price starts dropping. There are fewer people than you think looking at that house in a week or two.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

For closure: I called Transamerica support and found an angel on the other end. She was extremely knowledgeable and patient, and tracked down everything for me. Long story short, my two previous employers moved their plans off to other services. With the information she provided I was able to create accounts on the respective sites and find my money. Now comes the slog of trying to roll everything over into my current 401.

Good job, gotta be sure you follow through now!

I've got a note on my todo list to try to go through all my old stuff and track down any accounts. In my youth was way less likely to keep track of things!

I did call up my first employer and ask them what the hell happened to those "options" they gave me 25 years. It's still a privately held company, so they just laughed. I'm sure they got blanked decades ago.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think I might just go to giving all the teachers and coaches 20 bucks next year instead of all these loving gift cards. They'll prolly appreciate one less thing to lose/unload.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

I don't think you're "supposed to"

Bah!

I'm gonna do it next year, will report back.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I've always been jealous of people who are confident enough in their skills (handyman and collecting rent) to be able to do all the work required to upkeep 2 houses and rent one out. That does seem like a pretty drat good way to build wealth, but you do need to factor in all your time and energy, opportunity costs. Whenever I've done the math to pay a property manager and handyman, the math just doesn't work well. Unless you figure on really optimistic projections for house appreciation - which we have had. But other investments have performed well too.

I would say that it sounded like you have as a matter of course been sitting on a pretty big pile of cash as a "cushion" - you should get that into something other than real estate instead of just letting it sit in the meantime. At least get it into a high yield savings account (maybe you are, and this is "cash" for you). If you can lock it up for a *little* bit, a CD ladder, or treasuries. Buy some SGOV, that's liquid. Should be getting at least 4% on that money, which on (50K was it?) would be ~2K a year.

We are in a housing correction right now in most markets, prices seem to already be about ~20% off in my area (given, that was a hell of a peak). People *think* it's going to turn around here just because the fed is done raising rates. But I don't think they are going to start dropping rates anytime soon, and we haven't really hit any sort of "oh poo poo" moment in real estate yet. I dunno, who knows, obviously there are still enough people willing to buy at these prices, so far. But be real that the actual worst case is a 50% drop in the market, holding the bag on *two* mortgages instead of none, unable to refinance, and unable to rent for close to what you were expecting.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Perfect, thank you. Any chance moving an account sub-$1M that Morgan Stanley has been doing jack poo poo with for 10 years would be possible without exorbitant fees?

They shouldn't charge you *anything*

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Oh and yah, it is a lot easier to have the new brokerage go *get* the assets instead of trying to initiate a push from your old company.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SlapActionJackson posted:

A trust is an ideal vehicle for this, unfortunately it's not economical unless "some money" is at least high-six-figures for you.
529 is good, but using the proceeds is restricted to education or $35K in Roth IRA contributions.
UTMA account can be set up at a bank or brokerage - not restricted but it will become the legal property of the kid at the age of majority in his state (usually 18) so you'd need to be flexible on the 'turn 21' part.
Taxable account in your own name and gift it to the kid - you control it all (and pay the taxes along the way) then gift the funds when you think the kid is ready.

I agree with Kyoon that EE bonds are underwhelming on that timescale, but it's still a nice gesture and better than nada!

I had an EE bond in my filing cabinet for decades, at least I finally remembered to pull it out and cash it.

I know you don't have to hand them the actual physical bond anymore, and shouldn't! But "remember that login to treasury.gov that has a $500 bond in it that slapactionjackson gave us 20 years ago?" is the same sort of thing.

funding a 529 plan sounds good, because everyone should have one now. It won't be a random extra account with a little bit of money in it. Even if the kid doesn't go to college, they can transfer it over to *their* children.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The thing I hate about 529s and HSAs is it feels like universities and hospitals/insurance companies are carving out and reserving these future slices of your investments in return for "tax free returns". Tax free returns for who exactly?

But on the other hand everyone is gonna need to pay out the rear end for school and being kept alive, at least for the near future.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also don't worry: the 529 can also be used for tuition for school before university age, so we're also supporting the hollowing out of the public school system!

I've had a warning on my kids 529 page for years about "if you use it for non-college tuition, the state may claw it back", since colorado does allow you to write contributions off against your taxes. (really generous cap too).

But this seems to be another thing where its all up to you to tattle on yourself, another "tax on the conscience" from the BWM thread. I am positive people are washing private school tuitions through the colorado 529 and paying zero state tax, year after year.

You should definitely check out what programs are being offered for your state's 529 though. Colorado just started "we'll put in 100 and then match the first 2500", which is kind of amazing.

https://www.collegeinvest.org/first-step/

(Does feel like this ends up being a transfer of state money to CU Boulder to Deion Sanders. But yah, I'll take it. Go buffs!)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

My wife is evaluating a job offer. It's in her time zone and the hq is down the road from our house etc. But it's less money than she's making right now. Trying to evaluate the out the door cost of switching jobs

Using very round numbers, if we're in the 30% tax bracket and it's a $10,000 haircut, does that mean realistically it's a $7,000 lower take home? And we're in California so we're in the 10% tax bracket so subtract another $1000 right? So she/we lose $6,000 but is no longer traveling an unpredictable 3-10 days a month. That's a pretty easy pill to swallow compared to $10k

Not quite that simple, because you're putting money into 401K and whatnot from that 10K before the taxes get taken out.

Sounds like you really want her to have less commute and travel though, so its probably the right move anyway, no matter if its 8K or 9K. At least as long as its a good fit otherwise, decent prospects, and she's excited for it.

I'm guessing you're on your benefits, so those aren't really entering the equation at all?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
It's my understanding that pre-existing conditions are covered now, thanks Obama.

In exchange, seems like we spend a lot more time fighting insurance for certain drugs or treatments. I've spent an insane amount of time on the phone for the migraine medication that works for me. Nominally though, you're correct about being ok after you hit your out of pocket maximums.

They do love to pay for quackery like chiropractor "adjustments" if you want to get your spine "aligned" every week or something. Grifting is a-ok.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

This should no longer be the case due to the No Surprises Act of 2022

Nice! That happened to me at an in-network hospital. The surgeon on call at the ER actually had two practices setup. One in network for regular visits, and one out of network (not in network with *anyone*) for his ER shifts. Such a slime ball.

I told him to gently caress off, and that if he sent me to collections I would sue him. I'm sure most people probably paid him though. Every time I see a GoFundMe for tens of thousands in medical expenses I wonder if people realize that poo poo is extremely negotiable.

I did raise it up to all my representatives, but mostly just got "oh sorry that sucks" responses. I'm very glad something finally got done!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

I think there's only enforcement on the insurance companies, not the sleezeballs who build their whole debt collection practice around billing anesthetized patients. I called federal hhs, California something something, and one other agency. They all said there wasn't a path for them to do anything.

Man, that's loving weird, that doesn't really solve much then! The whole problem situation is when the insurance company says they have paid, and it's between you and the doctor. And the doctor threatens to send you to collections.

Maybe going to the hospital would work? When I called their billing department they seemed a little shocked about what one of their surgeons was doing. But I didn't pursue that angle because the guy backed off.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

One of my favorite stupid medical things was after my wife had hip surgery back in Pennsylvania, when a doctor we hadn't seen before showed up and checked her pulse and then left. He billed $550 to our insurance, who refused to cover it because it wasn't medically necessary and hadn't had pre-authorization anyway. Who was he? Nobody knows. Some doctor just walking around checking people's pulse and then racking up bills, while it's somehow up to the patient to know that he's not part of their post-surgical monitoring routine.

Man, after they pretty much tossed in the towel on my dad, I swear all of a sudden a large number of doctors started rounding on him every day. Just popping in to look at his chart, shake their heads, and walk out. Such bullshit. Once people have been through this it just sours you on the whole system. This one isn't insurance, or the hospitals - doctors should do a little more self policing too.

At the time, what are you gonna say.... "where the gently caress were you a week ago?" Bah.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

I was under the impression that most people's work insurance charges extra for covering a spouse, and a lot of them require signing something that says the spouse doesn't have their own employer-provided insurance option; is that not the case?

Definitely always charged extra for a family plan in my experience, but it was always less than each getting our own. And didn't have to sign anything that the other wasn't offered.

Things are getting kinda weird out there huh.

Sounds like family plans just aren't getting subsidized anymore . I guess that reduces the angst over "if we're both working, one of us isn't using our employer's health benefits, but we aren't getting paid more for declining that coverage". But that's just because the benefit got trimmed! Feels kinda like ensconcing the "every goddamn person in america has to work till they die system" even further.

Can we please stop tying our health care to our employment, like glorified indentured servitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Quitting counts. I quit and did consulting/contract work for awhile under my wife's insurance. Good money. Good luck!