Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Verism posted:

The big problem is I'm entirely in charge of our finances

Why is this?

This may be a whole other thread, but why is one partner solely in charge of finances? It can't be because you are better at it, because you claim you have no idea what you are doing.

Why is your partner not actively engaged or aware of what's going on? Not only is it a lot of stress on you, you are doing her (?) a disservice by not encouraging her to actively participate in her finances. What if something happens to you? What if you break up? What if you aren't on the same page, in terms of goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I just resigned from my job, that had offered a 401k match. My new job doesn't offer a match. From what I can tell, the best thing I should do is to open and start contributing the max towards a Roth IRA. I'll open one in a week or so (once I get settled in the new place.)

I also know I have to roll over my 401k to an IRA - and then slowly convert to a ROTH? Does that affect how much I can contribute to my (new) Roth IRA?

In other words, can I put the 10k or so I have in my 401k into an IRA, and contribute the max (5k?) into a Roth? And would converting the IRA to a Roth IRA affect how much I can contribute?

Am I doing this right?

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
You can also do this crazy thing by lowering utilization by paying off your debt and then continue to be responsible with your money.

(Yes, put some in savings so that you don't, at the first sign of trouble, run up your newly raised credit cards.)

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
It's not really about how quickly a car gets repossessed, but more about his inability to honor a commitment and do the nature thing of paying his loans over the instant gratification of a new toy. And for a man who has been working ... where is his savings? Why was he even in this situation?

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Is there any way at all, in any universe, that I could think about moving out on my own?

The short answer is: No. Not with just that job/those hours.

The longer answer is: Find out! Play house a bit. Pretend you found an apartment to share with a friend. Your rent is ... $400. Figure in your other expenses (cell, Internet, car insurance, gas, emergency savings, food, etc.)

Live, "paying" those bills into a savings account for a few months. I think it's obvious you can't afford it now, but by paying those bills, to yourself, you'll not only get a good sense of what it's like to have that overhead, but you'll also be building up a nice emergency fund. (Note: emergency fund. Not living-off of/moving out fund.)

If you do this, as you find yourself paying the bills and meeting your responsibilities easier, then you can think about moving out.

ProPlan: throw yourself an occasional curveball. Birthday gifts, car insurance hike, cracked windshield, roommate late on rent, cap and gown purchase.. Etc. could you cover it and still eat?

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I really loved Suze Orman's "Young, Fabulous & Broke" when I was just graduating college, and I really credit it with giving me a good financial background and getting me on the right path.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I really credit getting on the right financial path with Suze Orman's "Young, Fabulous and Broke." Definitely beginner stuff, real world, with nice breakdowns of things like compound interest, why you likely should never lease, etc. etc.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
This isn't investment advice, but -- it's a little concerning how little you know about your husbands finances and your own (and joint) financial future. I'm sure you're in a happy marriage, but things can change or something awful could happen to him. Please be more active in at least knowing whats going on, so you could protect yourself or step in if you needed to do so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Kind of related to car chat, and something I'm pondering:

I saved the bulk of it and bought a new-ish car. I financed a few thousand, but it will be fully paid off this year. It's a 2014, and I'll be driving it until it croaks. I put money aside each month for repairs, maintenance, etc.

My plan: once the car is paid off, I'm going to take that car payment, quarter it and continue putting it away for "new car" in 10 years or so. This way I'll have to finance nothing.

Question: at what point are others doing this? As in, saving for a new car even though there's no immediate need?