Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm graduating and am trying to budget out some options for post grad. Here's how things will shape up:

Income:
$2500/mo + Health and Dental Ins + Expenses (Mileage etc)

Expenses/mo:
Rent: $415
Utilities: $85
Internet: $47 (I don't have cable tv, just internet, thanks Hulu)
Gas: $50 (when not taken out of expense account)
Groceries: $300
Grand total of $897.

I've got total savings of: $0, total cash: $0 (I'm tapped out trying to graduate). I have $7,798.25 in credit card debt. Min payment is $161 and the APR is 13.24%.

My job only lasts until November 2. After that I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing so here's what I'd like advice on:

I'd like to save a good chunk of money each paycheck just in case I don't get a job right after the 2nd. I'd also like to make good payments on my Credit Card (I'd like to pay it off ASAP while still having some disposable income for things like going out to eat once or twice a week, going out to the bars once a week or so).

I'm also trying to find out if it's feasible to buy a new Macbook Pro (I need a laptop for work and the one I have now is dying after 4 hard years of college life). The one I'm looking at is around $2800, and Apple has a financing option of

quote:

*Get 18 months deferred interest on your first Apple purchase of $2500 or more. If balances are not paid in full within 18 months, interest will be charged from the purchase date at a 22.99% variable APR.
*The purchase APR is currently 22.99%. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. See Financing Specific Disclosures below for more detail.
No Annual Fee.2

So hopefully I would get the 18 months to pay it off with no interest or at least pay off as much as possible.

Here's the help I'm looking for.
Help me figure out the X's:
I should pay $X / mo on my credit card.
I should save $X every month.
I should only spend $X on entertainment (going out to eat, bars, movies etc).

With all this in mind, is it feasible to buy this laptop?
If yes:
How much should I budget each month to make sure most or all of it is paid off in 18 months?

Finally, keep in mind that I don't know if I will have a job after November 2nd.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm not buying the laptop but I'll answer some of the questions anyway.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm not a huge techie, so would you be kind enough to enlighten me why you need a $2800 laptop to do a $2500/mo job?

shifty posted:

I had this conversation with my sister when she "needed a laptop for school". There's just something so awesome about a Macbook Pro that a regular Macbook, or Windows/Linux based laptop can't compete with.

Even if they did buy him a laptop, it wouldn't be the Macbook Pro he wants. He also probably won't be able to keep it when he changes jobs.

I want the MacBook Pro because a) I like Macs better than computers, and b) I use my laptop for everything including TV/file storage/etc so I like having a laptop that can do that well. The reason for the MacBook has almost nothing to do with the job and everything to do with what I want in a laptop while also having something I can use at work.

Inept posted:

Not to pile on, but if you need it for work, then work should pay for it. It is unreasonable for them to expect you to buy equipment costing that much right when you start working for them.

It's a contract job that only lasts for a few months. I need a laptop for work but not the just specifically the Macbook Pro that I want.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm looking for a "free" financial planning consultation and someone to get me started down the right road.
(no interest) debt, etc. and I'd like some advice on all areas. Especially how best to save for short term, long term, and retirement, as well as possibly income generation (hahaha what an idiot newb).

Anyway, PM me please. If no one gets ahold of me in awhile I'll post the info in the thread but I'd prefer a more private back and forth.

I'm willing to throw in forums treats, I guess.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Couple quick questions:

I have two credit cards I'm getting ready to pay off, as well as a "reserve" line of credit through my bank (attached to checking for overdraft). I am in very low danger of overdrafting (I don't spend nearly enough at this point). One of my credit cards is a chase freedom card (13%) that I'm going to have paid off by the end of the month. The other is a credit card through my bank that I used to do a balance transfer (0% for 6 months) but after that it pops up to something ridiculous like 23%. Should I consider shutting down my credit card and reserve line through my bank? Should I just pay them off, leave them open, and forget about? I drive quite a bit for work so my plan from here on out was to just buy one tank of gas, per month, per card, but if I can only keep one without dinging my credit, I'd like to.

My other question is similar: I'm getting ready to start saving (rainy day + emergency) and in a month or two open up a Roth IRA with Vanguard. I have a traditional savings account with my bank, but I thought since this would be long term savings (for the most part) it'd be a better idea to save via an Ally Savings account with a higher yield. Will having multiple savings account (one with my bank that only has $25 and one with Ally that has all my real savings) carry any kind of consequences?

Thanks guys

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

JerkyBunion posted:

Couple quick questions:

I have two credit cards I'm getting ready to pay off, as well as a "reserve" line of credit through my bank (attached to checking for overdraft). I am in very low danger of overdrafting (I don't spend nearly enough at this point). One of my credit cards is a chase freedom card (13%) that I'm going to have paid off by the end of the month. The other is a credit card through my bank that I used to do a balance transfer (0% for 6 months) but after that it pops up to something ridiculous like 23%. Should I consider shutting down my credit card and reserve line through my bank? Should I just pay them off, leave them open, and forget about? I drive quite a bit for work so my plan from here on out was to just buy one tank of gas, per month, per card, but if I can only keep one without dinging my credit, I'd like to.

My other question is similar: I'm getting ready to start saving (rainy day + emergency) and in a month or two open up a Roth IRA with Vanguard. I have a traditional savings account with my bank, but I thought since this would be long term savings (for the most part) it'd be a better idea to save via an Ally Savings account with a higher yield. Will having multiple savings account (one with my bank that only has $25 and one with Ally that has all my real savings) carry any kind of consequences?

Thanks guys

Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Freeze posted:

I will admit that the thought of immediately taking out a $17500 cash advance and fleeing the country to start a new life did cross my mind.

Me too...