Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

Income:
$2500/mo + Health and Dental Ins + Expenses (Mileage etc)....

.....The one I'm looking at is around $2800

I'm not a huge techie, so would you be kind enough to enlighten me why you need a $2800 laptop to do a $2500/mo job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Brain Curry posted:

So I just opened a new account at a credit union and found out my credit score is 803. We have a 1997 Nissan Altima that is going to die soon, and it may be in our best interest to replace it immediately. Does anyone have an idea of what kind of APR I'd be looking at for a car loan? My credit union's lowest was 3.5 and judging by how the woman at the CU talked to me about my score I'd be closer to that than the higher rates, but I know some dealerships run crazy low APRs to get people in the door.

3.5% is an amazing rate, and 803 is an amazing score. I’m a loan officer and I wish more of our borrowers had scores that high. The only question I have would be: Because 3.5% is such an amazing rate, are there things that you have to do in addition to get that rate, like have a checking account or direct deposit set up with them, or have your mortgage through them?

The other thing, and this seems weird on the face of it, is don’t obsess about the rate (too much). People are sometimes surprised how little the rate affects the payment. For instance $15000 over 3 years at 3.5% is $439.53. The same loan at 4% is $442.86. That is 75 cents a week.

That means if you don’t have the exact services with your credit union to qualify for their exact lowest rate, but you are getting something close to it, don’t think you have to rearrange your entire financial life to get it. Likewise, if you see some incentive financing through the dealer for lower, keep in mind that auto manufacturers can tell their financing arms to take a loss on the loan so the parent company can move more metal from their lots. Even if they gave you zero percent, it wouldn’t cut your payment that much. Because you are getting such a great rate, you will probably do better to negotiate a good price, see if they will give cash back in lieu of the incentive financing, and go through your credit union.

A lot of BFC gets wet dreams over PennFed, but I believe there is something to be said with just dealing with your local credit union, keeping your money in the community, and knowing where and who to call if you have questions or have to modify something in the future.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Brain Curry posted:

Thanks for the quick reply and advice. We owe more than twice what our house is worth, and our mortgage holders won't talk to us about modification until we're behind on our payments. Even though my name isn't on the loans, it is on the title so I'm bracing myself for a credit hit. I'd like to get ten years out of the car we buy, so I'm thinking this may be the time to do it.

I have mixed thoughts about loan modifications. I’m all for them when a borrower has lost a job or had some other unforeseen change to their life status, and they need a modification to stay in their house. I’m for them when a borrower did something dumb and bit off way more than they could chew when housing was booming, and is now sinking. The situations that I’m against are when people got a loan with reasonable terms, they can afford the payment, they have no plans to move, and they just happened to buy at the wrong time, and owe more than what its worth. You know your situation more than anyone, no one can stop you if you are OK with it, you certainly don’t need my approval, but you should research any impacts to your credit, your tax situation, and anything else I’m not thinking of off the top of my head.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Brain Curry posted:

Yeah we bought in 2006 with a no-income verification loan. We financed 80/20 with the 20% being a 15 year balloon. It was stupid, but we didn't lie about our income, and our income to debt ratio was just enough to barely squeak by. We weren't trying to flip our house or anything. We were hoping to be able to refinance to better terms when the house went up in value. We've managed to pay every month this far, but we had a renter and my wife was working two jobs, neither of which we have now. The house also needs a lot of work, and we don't have the money to do it even if we wanted to pour more money in to it. We've been struggling with not paying, but the house is now worth about 40% of what we owe in principal alone. The house across the street is renting for 1000$ less a month than what we pay, not including maintenance or repairs. We've sacrificed a lot to pay our debts, including thousands in back tuition that my wife got stuck with in her parents' divorce. My wife cashed in her 401K to buy this house, and we have no retirement savings. I just can't find the upside to continuing this situation when moving across the street would save us so much. We're not sure if we'll wind up being able to modify our loan or if we'll wind up with a short sale, but I can't see maintaining the status quo.

Yeah, it sounds like you are really struggling. You probably couldn’t afford the house at the time, but like so many people bought into the idea that it might be a reach, but if you didn’t jump when you did, it would be an even bigger jump next year, in 2 years. Then they told you you could refinance, that things would get easier over time since your payment would be fixed but you and your wife would get raises, progress in your career, etc. Now you are stuck in the house, but you can’t sell, can’t refinance, you still can’t afford it, and you are looking at years of this.

Most of the loan modifications out there reduce rates, I have not seen a lot of principal reduction modifications. That’s what you really need since you just owe too much money. You might be better off pursuing a short sale. You won't qualify for another mortgage so you will renting a cheap place for a while you rebuild your savings and credit. A warning though, you may be taxed as regular income on any debt that is forgiven.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Parsnip posted:

I have a small credit card question...

I got one of those letters from BoA a while ago saying that my rate was going to change to 24.x% APR from 13.99%, and since I had a balance of ~4300 at the time, I picked the opt-out choice so I could keep the rate as it was. I paid off the card (yay!) 2 statements ago so I was expecting it to close. But it's still there! So what should I do? I got the card in 07 and it is my second oldest card (oldest is from 04).

I could use it to buy a pack of gum to make the card not self-terminate, but would that be the best thing to do? Or should I just let it close from inactivity, or from whenever BoA decides to close it from the opt-out option?

I hate Bank of America. If your credit is otherwise excellent and you will still have access to enough credit, then even though you will take a short, modest hit on your score, you will more than OK. You don’t need to be one of those people who keeps accounts around that they hate because of some fear about your credit score like accumulating FICO points is a hobby.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Nighthand posted:

Small question, and I don't know if this is the right place to put it or not, but I'd rather not start a thread for a minor issue and haven't seen a better megathread to put it in.

My girlfriend moved up to MI from VA this time last year. In the several months prior she had found a breast lump, had it tested, found it wasn't cancer but was told to have it removed anyway, and had it removed. Once she moved up here, she got one or two minor bills forwarded from her old address, which she paid. As far as she knows, she's paid everything off. No one has called, and no new bills have arrived.

Today a letter arrived from a debt collector from VA, claiming there was a test done that she didn't pay for, to the tune of $127. The letter provides contact information for the collection agency (obviously), the name and account number of the creditor (a Norfolk hospital lab), and a notice that "Unless you notify us in writing within 30 days of receipt of this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt, or any portion thereof, we will assume the debt is valid."

The issue is, as far as she knows she's paid everything off; this is the first we've heard of this charge. However, it was a hectic time where she was living back and forth between two different places, breaking up with her ex, and preparing for a big life-changing move. That said, any records of these bills and payments she might have are either inaccessible in VA or are just lost.

I have the thought in my head (correct me if I'm wrong) that conventional wisdom is "don't loving talk to the collection agency." How do we go about resolving this? $127 isn't bank-breaking, but it IS significant to our low-income household. If there's no other option than to pay it, we'll pay it, but I'm curious if there's more to it than that, if we can contact the lab in question or hospital directly to figure it out. Or if, without records, we're screwed regardless.

Stuff like that happens so often, unfortunately. A doctors office bills the insurance company, which doesn’t cover it for some unknown reason, doctors office doesn’t call you, insurance company doesn’t call you, they just sell it to a collection company, which does call you.

First, verify the best you can if this is yours, and since it is fairly small, just pay it when you can, even if it’s 6 months from now. It does have an affect on your credit, and you may pay more for credit than you otherwise would, but we see so many of these at the credit union I work at that if everything else is solid, and there are not too many of these medical bills on there, we practically ignore them.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Piano posted:

Is there a difference between a loan being "withdrawn" and denied?

I applied for a car loan from my very small credit union (it's a CU exclusive to my workplace, I happen to know I was their 410'th member when I joined about 6 months ago, and they've been around for many years) pretty much just out of familiarity without really expecting them to give out loans for any amount at all... for anything.

I filled out the application on their website which looked like it was made in, oh, 1996. It didn't even ask me to specify which car I wanted to buy, or they year, or anything besides the loan ammount. In fact I can't remember if there was even a place to specify what the loan was for at all, lol.

I filled out everything completely, and now the loan status is listed as withdrawn.

When I googled it I didn't get much besides people talking about how it means they didn't even check my credit (which I would consider quite good in relation to the specifics of the loan), and it has just been denied on on their side of things.

I was trying to call them but I'm not sure if anyone actually works there. I think it's a credit union robot.

They likely did pull your credit when you applied. When ever your credit is pulled, one of two things must happen. The first is that it can result in a loan. If it doesn’t end up with you getting a loan for any reason, then the lender must inform you in writing as to why it did not. If it was declined, they must tell you why and what credit bureau they used to make that decision. You are then entitled to a free credit report from that bureau(s). If it was approved but you decided not to act on that preapproval, it can only remain active for 30 days, at which point they may withdraw the application.

No where on your credit does it specify if a particular inquiry resulted in an application that was declined, withdrawn, or is still pending. If there is an inquiry and a new tradeline appears, then other lenders can put two and two together. If they do not see a new tradeline, there is no way they can tell exactly what happened. It’s not a big deal either way.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

spatula posted:

Does it help my credit score to get the credit limit on my cards increased, even if I'm not going to get close to maxing it out anyway?

Maybe, probably. It depends.

There are a number of reasons why your credit may be lower than it otherwise could. If you have lates and chargeoffs, then that is the limiting factor. Increasing your limits will have little effect. Likewise if your credit is brand new, in that case just waiting will help. Time is the limiting factor. But if you are using a good chunk of your available credit and everything else is solid, then credit utilization is the limiting factor and by increasing your limits (or paying your debt) you would see your credit pop up.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Manawski posted:

I'm in the Navy and we had a brief the other day which pretty much scared me shitless. You see, there apparently exists a rule in which if you have a >30% DTI you can't be deployed overseas. This gave me cause to go home and check my poo poo.

63k @ 6.5% (Student Loans) - 453/month
23k @ 5% - 475/month
12k @ 3% (Car Loan) - 263/month
6k @ ?% (Stafford Loan) - 95/month

~400 on my Star Card (for uniforms)
2 other CC paid in full.

And I bring in ~4000 per month after taxes/health insurance/other deductions leaving me at what I calculated to be a 32% DTI. Right now, as it stands, I round up to 300 on the car payment, and I put an extra 600 on the big loan (which I apparently started doing a while back, and then forgot about it because now I don't have to make a payment on that loan until mid-2011). I've got to wait for the star card to pay itself off because it has a time limit between payments you can make :wtc: but it will be paid off in two months.

Going off of what I have read, should I stop paying the extra amount on the big loan (gently caress me for going to an expensive school) and concentrate instead on knocking out the Stafford Loan ASAP? Ridding myself of that would get me just below 30%.

First you should research and clarify this regulation. First, is the DTI calculated on your gross or net. You seem to be calculating it on your net. Typically lenders will use your gross. Its not that they are trying to beef up your income when the approve you for stuff, (not anymore anyway) but because gross is just so much more consistent. With net, people have different amounts taken form their taxes, some want a big refund, some don't mind paying, some contribute to 401K's some do not.

If you do have to cut, I'd pay the car, even though its not the smallest. It would free up $265 in your budget, whereas the smallest would free up only $95. Don't spread debt across a lot of credit cards as all the little minimum payments of $20, $35, $25 will add up. I don't recommend this, but worst case and you have about one month to bring it down, see if you can get a credit card with a low balance transfer offer and put the car loan on it. A $12K balance on a credit card is awful, but it would have a lower minimum payment. As I said, do that only in a worst case if you had to bring down the DTI immediately because you would be playing with fire.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

antwizzle posted:

What calculations do they do and what am I getting wrong?

Your credit card likely has a complicated way of figuring out finance charge, but the answer to your question is simple. As the balance (slowly) goes down, your minimum payment will go down too, which means you are paying it down even slower as time goes on if you only pay that amount.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Actually, this ties into another question I had...

Currently, I have a $17k limit Mastercard from Citibank and a $1k credit card from a local bank that I use for my monthly purchases (gym membership and such) that gets paid off monthly.

For about a year, I had maxed out the Citicard every month, barely managing to hack away at it. I managed to finally pay it off in full thanks to a financial windfall. Obviously, I had a problem with credit card spending that is finally under control, and as such, that card has been in the freezer for the past two-three months, completely paid off and untouched.

I've been wanting to cancel it in order to resist the urge to just go nuts with spending...but I am closing on a house in a week (the other part of the windfall) and didn't want to screw up my credit score until everything was in order and the loan/mortgage had been approved and the rate locked. Now that everything's done, I STILL want to cancel the card so I don't go nuts furnishing the entire house with plasma TV's. :)

I wanted to cancel the $17k card and apply for a $5k card from USAA that I can freeze and use for "OH HOLY BALLS" emergencies, but not at the expense of shooting my credit score in the foot by throwing away $17k in "available credit" if the last few posts had been

Would I be better off keeping the Citicard, but asking them to lower the credit limit and APR? Right now, it's $17k with freakin' 29.99% APR and I can get a $5k card from USAA at 9.99%.

Apologies for posting in here...I plan on getting a Pillowpants budget once I'm all moved in to my house and my budget's relatively settled and making a thread about it, but for now, this seems like the best place to post.

No apologies needed.

You know yourself better than anyone else does, and you are smart to recognize the temptation that the Citicard represents. I would close it, even though it is a big limit, even if it is your oldest account. Your credit will take a modest, short term hit, but you already have the house, and you should have enough for a genuine emergency with the USAA card. Also, your available credit as it relates to your score is expressed as a percentage, not an amount, so keep the USAA low and you will still be in good shape. Max it out against your better judgment, and you are better off with a $5K weight around your neck than a $17K one.

I would close Citicard, even if you talk them down on the rate. There is so much more to getting a card than comparing the specs and going for the best rates and best rewards. You know USAA won’t jerk you around, raise your rate to the stratosphere again, delay processing your payment in order to charge you a late fee, or any of the other crap that the major issuers do. Citibank is anyone’s guess.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

ne plus ultra posted:

I will have a fellowship of somewhat more than $30,000 in Massachusetts. This will all be taxable income, and it appears nothing will be withheld. I'm having a difficult time figuring out roughly how much I should be budgeting for taxes annually. I was thinking 15% should be sufficient, but I have no idea how to confirm this... I know nothing about taxes, I just plug the numbers into a tax app and let it do its thing.

Massachusetts has a flat tax of 5.3% of income. You are able to deduct from your income the first $4400 for you personal exemption and half of the first $6000 you spend on rent. If you end up working too along with school, you can deduct the first $2000 you pay for social security/medicare. If you are paying back student loans, you can deduct the interest. You can also deduct moving costs into Massachusetts. There are some misc things that tend to come and go. One year you could deduct part of your heating cost, sometimes they let you deduct your T passes, but those things are not big enough to change your estimates.

That means roughly out of $30,000 you will be paying taxes on about $22,000 in income, you will owe about $1200 in state taxes. If you pay an estimated $300 per quarter you will come out pretty close.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Engineer Lenk posted:

Does Massachusetts require you to pay quarterly or have some sort of state withholding? If not, I'd just budget it in and pay when it comes due.

We do have an underpayment penalty if you under pay by $400. There is an exemption for first year filers, which I suppose n.p.u. would be. That said, considering that you are lucky to get 1% in a money market right now, we are talking about perhaps an extra $5, $10 at the most of forgone interest if you wait to pay the entire balance due at the end.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

dopaMEAN posted:

Two questions:
One, I just got my info for my fellowship in Illinois- it's 20660/year, what should I be saving for taxes?

Second, we just moved into Illinois and had to sign up for Comcast. They wanted a $150 deposit and cash up front from my fiance, but they waived the deposit for me and were willing to bill me. His credit is slightly better than mine: I have more cards and more debt than he does and missed a payment when I was 18 (22 now) and he is a few months older than I am so has longer credit history. Until this past year he never had car insurance and he has never had a phone in his name alone. Both of us have had cable/utility services in our names. Any idea why he would be asked to pay a deposit? Should we run his credit to make sure there's nothing wrong?

Assuming you take your own exemption ($3650) and take the standard deduction ($5700), your taxable income will be $11,310. This also assumes you don’t have any other income (no interest, dividends, no other jobs) and no credits or deductions apply. If that is the case, the tax table states that you will owe $1281 in federal taxes. I am not familiar with Illinois taxes.

It’s always a good idea to check your credit every year to make sure that there are no glaring errors because if there are, its nice to fix them at your leisure instead of when a loan is on the line. But I wouldn’t assume something horrible just because Comcast would have made him put down a small deposit. Utility bills are not reported on credit reports (unless they go to collections)

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tour de horse posted:

Is it worth it to consolidate my loans?

I have these loans / interests rates

code:

$897.21 - 8%
$3,350  - 5%
$10,794 - 6.8%

Have people reduced their interest rates by consolidating? If so, how much money have they saved over the course of the loans?

Student loan consolidation makes the most sense when some of your loans are variable, and the consolidation process will fix them at todays low interest rate. You don’t get a lower rate by consolidating; they determine everything by figuring out the blended rate. Without doing the math, it would probably come in somewhere around 6.5% or 6.6% i.e. your largest loan would dominate the final interest rate. It makes less sense if they are already fixed.

You can research different plans. You can get discounts for direct debit from an account, or by making ontime payments for 3 years, but if they are already fixed, you lose the ability to hammer the small one at 8% hard, and then the 6.8% if you want to do it that way, or I guess the 5% one if you are doing the Dave Ramsey snowball thing. Personally I saved quite a bit of money, but mine were variable and I was able to lock mine in at 4% back in 2004 and the discounts eventually brought me down to 3%, but that option doesn’t seem to be available to you.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

the posted:

Let's say I have a credit card that has $1000 of debt with a 25% APR.

I speak to the credit card company and they agree to give me a 6 month temporary APR of 3% on all future purchases in that time frame.

I spend $500 on that credit card. My balance is now $1500.

If I paid off $500 on that credit card, would that go towards the previous amount that has a 25% APR on it or the new amount that has 3% APR on it?

I would assume the latter, because credit card companies are mischievous assholes, but I just wanted to see if I was right.

This will all be explained in your card holder agreement :bang:

If this was pre-credit card act, you would likely be 100% correct. Now they can't do that. Usually payments get applied in the following order.

- fees
- past due amounts
- prior balances, they have to apply money to the highest rate first of equal ages
- current balances

If you were to actually do the equations long hand, it would probably take reams of paper, but you should still refer to your card issuer to check on the actual order of how payments are applied.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Posting this here because I'm sure this is the type of question a newbie would ask.

I have to watch CNN all day at work, and they always run this ad for a place called Consumer Debt Advocates. They advertise helping you settle your credit card debt by using "the free information the credit card companies DON'T want you to know..."

I don't need credit card help, but I just have to know, what type of information could a place like that be offering?

At best, these companies are not doing anything you couldn’t do on your own, at worst they are incompetent and expensive.

They don’t have any special kind of magic words that can erase your debt. What they will do is try to negotiate settlements on bad debt, or work out payment plans, or see if the cards will accept less than the minimum if you can’t afford to make even that. You typically pay them a percentage of the amount of debt they supposedly save you, and for accounts that are on a payment plan, you pay them monthly and they divvy up the payments as needed to all your cards, while keeping a percentage of the money for their own administration.

What always ends up happening is when everything is on autopilot and no one is watching is any number of snafus that snowball against you. One of the cards will raise the minimum payment, and they will accept the payment every month but you will fall further and further behind, like you are on a treadmill, but not running quite fast enough, and by the time you realize it you have been reported 60 days late for a better part of a year. Or they send the payments to the customer service address, not the payment mailing address. Or they pay right around the due date so some months two payments hit, but then the next month nothing does. Or they just forget to pay one of them. Or….

Long story short, there is no easy way to get out of debt and these companies are selling the idea that they can make it easy.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

cowofwar posted:

Credit counseling and debt management include some good nonprofit agencies and a lot of terrible predatory organizations.

And guess which category advertises on TV.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

cr0y posted:

I'm sure someone here will be able to answer this for me...

Can you legitimately get a credit card company to cut debt/monthly payments without loving your credit score? I am 23 year old college student who got in trouble with credit cards when I was younger and have been suffering since. I take responsibility for this and am not trying to weasel my way out of my debt but if I could get my monthly payments down or some debt forgiven I would sleep better at night.

If you do that, the credit card will usually insert some clause along with the rest of the account info like “Account under a partial payment agreement” or something to that effect. I honestly don’t know how bad this affects your score, probably way less bad than being late, but that is something that a lender would very much notice if they pulled your credit. Frankly it doesn’t look good, but is not an automatic disqualifier. It depends on the financial institution, what you are trying to do, and the rates you are willing to accept.

However I think you are asking the wrong question. If you can’t even make the minimum payments, which as you know will take decades to pay the card off, you are in trouble. You should be asking what you can do to get out of trouble, not if I do such and such, how many FICO points get shaved off. If one of the payments is really bad I don’t have a problem if you want to set up one of those arrangements, it won’t destroy your credit, but view it as a temporary step to keep your head above water while you look for a more permanent solution. Also, listen to Dave Ramsey. I don’t agree with everything he says, especially his politics, but his advice is perfect for people in your situation.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Topsy Kretts posted:

Aside from the fact that it isn't good for your credit. Is their any legitimacy to "debt forgiveness" in terms of credit cards? I tried google but I honestly can sift through what is and what is not actual useful information. I'm not blaming my credit card debt on anyone but myself but honestly I have little sympathy for credit card companies in a time when the american people are struggling and big business is reaping billions in profit. If i can screw them for my own benefit I won't lose any sleep over it.

It’s legitimate when due to whatever reason, either a life changing event or perhaps your own stupidity, you are so buried up to your head in debt that there is no practical way that you can pay the entire thing off, and you can barely pay them at all after you take care of things like food, shelter, transportation, utilities, etc. If they decide to start charging you 30% interest and won’t work with you, then they can force you into that situation.

Get out of your head that you are taking vengeance in some small way against the credit card companies that are screwing the American people. I hate Bank of America and Capital One too, but don’t worry, their CEO is not going to start eating tuna fish sandwiches in his corner office after they settle your debt. They can and will reprice their entire portfolio in order to earn their way out of their loan losses. That means everyone else will be paying more fees and higher rates because of you and the millions of people like you. Keep in mind that they usually won’t settle anything unless you are late/in default (which will ruin your credit) and you have the entire chunk of cash ready to go.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Endor posted:

I've got a general credit card/credit score question:

I've had a single credit card with a $4000 limit for the past 10 years, just in my name, with a $2500 balance.
My wife has a $80,000 credit limit on 5 or 6 various cards, most of which I have been added to within the past 2 years (when we got married). She's had these accounts open for 10-15 years on average, and has roughly a $20,000 balance (mostly wedding expenses).

I'm considering closing my credit card account since the APR is high compared to the others we have. By doing so, I could reduce the APR from about 21% to 4% on the existing $2500 balance, which would help us pay it off a little quicker (a program that PNC Bank has).

Now, when credit agencies consider "Oldest line of credit" when calculating my FICO score, will they look at my wife's accounts and say "This credit account has been open for 15 years and also has Endor's name is on it so this is Endor's oldest line of crdedit"? Or will this hurt me since this is pretty much the only credit account that has been entirely mine and that I've had my name on for more than a year?

Main reason this matters is because we will probably need to take out a home-renovation mortgage on a house that's currently loan free that we recently inherited, and we'd like to try and maximize both our credit scores and cash flow.

To answer your question, it depends if you are joint or just an authorized user. If you are joint, her oldest is your oldest. But I also don't like where you are going on this.

First thing I don't like is you have a balance of $2500 at 21%, and while that is a horrible rate, you are blaming the rate on your inability to pay it off and not yourself on your inability to pay it off. Using your numbers, it costs $525 per year to have that balance on that card. That is $43 per month of finance charge. If you had a strategy to pay it off, you would be throwing hundreds of dollars a month at it. Most of your payments would go towards principal. The fact you have not paid it off yet means that you are either paying hardly anything to it, or you are paying quite a bit on it, but you keep using it.

If you have a house that is paid off in full, it will be easy to get a mortgage on it, but if you were trying to maximize your cash flow, the obvious answer is to not have a mortgage. What is the rush to renovate everything at once?

I think you guys have plenty of credit, and you have had most of them for a long time. I'm not going to say the only way is to close them and never use them again (although I wouldn't discourage it either) If you were to most of them it would have a minimal effect on both of your credit scores.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Topsy Kretts posted:

Rates on the cards are between 12-15% (gently caress me). I am scheduled to graduate Spring 2011, and college is currently being paid for via parents+loans. I'm not factoring in college debt at the moment because my parents are helping me out with it until I graduate.

My main issues is that in my current situation I get paid, pay off all my stuff and essentially am broke again for the rest of the month. I am making no progress on my credit cards, paying as much as I can.

If you are making $1000 per month, there is no way you would be able to make headway on anything. Your expenses are already cut to the bone, and even then some. What is the secured debt at the credit union?

Unless your parents can step in and bail you out, you can’t pay them. Its not a moral issue, it’s a math issue. They lent 8 grand to a broke college student and it didn’t work out for them. I haven’t contributed to the bankruptcy thread, or even read it that much, but as overwhelming as the cards feel right now, it doesn’t seem like you have enough debt to make it worth it. Compared with bankruptcy, your credit will come back a lot faster if you just stop paying, let them go to collections, and then in a couple years when you are in a better spot you settle with them. Say that you eventually make 40 or 50K a year, coming up with $4K to settle this bad debt won’t be hard to do. Keep your student loans in good standing, your credit will be more than fine in a couple years.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Topsy Kretts posted:

It's really bizarre to think that "just don't pay your credit cards" is a reasonable way to go about this. Is this basically what the point is? My financial situation seems completely insurmountable at the moment.

If you can manage to pay them and always keep all of them current, that’s better of course. Even if you just tread water until you graduate, that’s OK. If you have 1 big one and 4 small ones, and need to choose, keep up on the small ones since it will be one ding, not 4. But compared to paying for food, keeping your phone on, your rent, books, gas, car insurance, any medical costs that come up, your secured loan, I would say that your credit cards come last.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

froglet posted:

This may or may not be the right place to ask but, here I go. I've recently been reading about managed funds. While I don't want to start investing immediately, I'm wondering what other goons think about managed funds and if it would be a good medium term investing vehicle. Has anybody had any experience with similar funds? Or should I just forget about it, wait until I have 20,000 just lying around then invest it in something else altogether?

If it makes any difference, I'm 20, I study full time and have a part time job that allows me to make regular (if somewhat small) contributions to savings and superannuation. My expenses are minimal due to being a stereotypical goon and living with my parents while I complete my degree.

What are called Managed Funds in Australia are called Mutual Funds in the US. They can be an excellent investment product, but they are only as good as the underlying investments that they contain. I’m sure there are lots of funds available to you that would be good for a medium term time frame. While this is the long term investment thread and much of the info is specific to the US, they will inevitably touch on a lot of the concepts like risk tolerance, diversification, and fees and costs that you would be paying.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Themagicmoogle posted:

Quick question: I have a car that I currently owe about 9.7k on at 8.9% interest. The minimum payments are about 220 bucks a month, but I usually pay about 350. I have no other credit cards or anything else. I would like to buy a house in a couple years, and I was just wondering if I should save that extra money that I'm paying extra on the car, or should I sock it away for a bigger down payment?

I would strive to pay it off entirely if you could by then. (or at least mostly off; they often don't count it against you if you have a term loan that you owe fewer than 6 to 10 payments on) One thing lenders look at is your debt to income ratio. They care less about the total amount you owe and more about your monthly cash flow. By not having a payment of $220/mo will help you.

Like Grump said, that is a fairly high rate. I've seen worse, but 8.9% on a car loan would indicate either minimal credit when you got it (which is OK, because you have more now) or rough credit, not horrible, but somewhat marginal. Or being way upside down when you got the car. Were any of these factors in play when you got the loan?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Themagicmoogle posted:

it's kind of a long story. As soon as I turned 18, my abusive mom told jobless me I had to get a couple credit cards and start putting utility bills in my name or she'd kick me out of the house.

Long story short, 6k in the hole and she didn't give me a dime to pay any of it back, and it went to collections.

Fast forward a few years later, I got a retardedly overpaying job (25 bucks an hour for someone who only has their GED) and have it all payed off (last payment next month to be exact), but my car broke down and like an idiot I went and bought a new one. Best they could give me was 17% interest for a 13k car. (I know I could have done something smarter, but I was stupid then)

Unfortunatly as it turns out, banks that finance car loans will give you a much better rate if you have good credit history (dur) and at least a year of good car payments. 11 months after I bought that new car, I parked it in front of a resturant and drunk guy in a truck pushed it into the resturant. My insurance paid for it, but once again I went out and bought another one with a 15% interest.

I overpaid the minimum payments knowing that I could re-finance it in 6 months, and as soon as the 6 month mark came around, I re-financed it and got 8.9.% I can re-finance every 6 months as long as I have been good on the payments, and I was hoping to get 4 or 5 when I do it again in december.

Bonus pic: My poor old car after I backed it out of the resturant.

Sorry to hear all that, and looks like you are digging out of the mess and bad luck. You can’t control your crazy mother did and when you are 18, technically you are an adult with equal standing before the law, but your mother still has power over you. Probably the only thing that you could have done better was if the best rate you could get was 17%, you shouldn’t have gotten a $13,000 car. One that was $5,000 would have gotten you from point A to B just as well. That said, you were young and the money handling skills you got from your mother were probably worse than zero, and people with far more stable backgrounds have done far stupider things, so I’m going to whip you with a wet noodle.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Car question:

I have a 2008 Hyundai Accent worth (i.e. could sell) for ~$9000. The loan I have for it:
~9800 balance (I used equity when I refinanced to borrow $1500 extra to buy a motorcycle with).
3.99%, $240/mo - so about 4 years of payments left.

I recently got a new government job that I can commute to easily by public transportation. I don't use the car barely ever now except for camping trips or going to the grocery store. It's nice having it, I can afford it easily, but I don't really... need it.

My parents are interested in buying the car from me since it has low miles and is in good shape. I would pay down a little bit to be negotiated (to get the loan closer to sale value and compensate for the amount I borrowed over for the motorcycle) then they would just take over payments while leaving it in my name to keep the sweet sweet hyundai warranty. I trust them more than enough for all this.

My question is: is it at all silly for me to sell when I've already put two years of payments into the car? 24 x $240 = $5760... it's been a nice trouble free car but goddamn that seems like a lot of money for just two years of driving. On the other hand, without the $240 payment and $500 or so for insurance every six months - that's $3880 a year that I can save and use to pay off student loans/max out a roth IRA etc.

Should I just hold onto it and pay it off (could probably do it quicker than 4 years thanks to my sweet new paychecks) and have it as an asset? I suppose I will want a car again at some point in the future, and this does seem like a good candidate for a car to keep as long as possible and be beating on 20 years from now.

Or should I cut my losses and get out?

From a strictly financial position, owning a car that you don't need is stupid. It is a rapidly depreciating asset, they cost a lot to insure, there are more fees all the time to inspect and register them, and gas isn't getting any cheaper. It is a sunk cost, meaning the money you already spent is not coming back, and you should base your decision only on future costs, not what you have already put into it.

All that said, its nice having a car and since you can afford it, you have to look at the future anticipated costs and how it affects your quality of life, and if you decide that you want to keep it so you can go get groceries without it being a big production and have a way to get out of the city without the hassle of renting one, or you have friends that you like to hang out with that its cumbersome getting there via public transit, then you should keep it, and keep it without guilt.

However I'm wondering about the motorcycle. To me, it seems like a car is way more versatile than a motorcycle, and if you had to pull equity out to buy the motorcycle, then you couldn't afford it.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Sophia posted:

Moana and Strict 9, thanks for the replies. I'll take my question over to the long term investment thread once I figure out more precisely what my time horizons are. But you guys kind of confirmed what I thought, that there really aren't any great 3-7 year term investments out there outside of short-term bonds or T-bills or something. :)

I will definitely open up the Roth IRA though. And my CD is really short term, it just earns slightly better than the savings account, and I can break it (with minor penalties) if I need to, so I think it could suffice for an emergency fund.

As far as the credit score, when I last checked in June it was 780 so it's not really low, it just sort of irritates me that they won't increase my limits considering I've never missed a payment and do make a decent wage. I'll keep thinking about applying for another one.

Thanks again!

780 is excellent. It is beyond excellent. A responsible lender will look at more than a credit score, but based on your savings, and your minimal debt, you will have no problem qualifying for anything reasonable. When your score is that high, its not necessary to do anything special to increase it, and nothing much you can really do anyway, other than allow the accounts to get older and as they do, it will slowly drift up into the low 800’s. Adding another account if anything will drop it some. Not much, but some. Not to say you should not open it if you need it, just continue to do what is financially responsible and don’t do stuff because how it might look on your credit.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

polyfractal posted:

Practical advice needed. I'm currently throwing $200 a month in savings and $200 into a "Roth IRA" savings account. Since Vanguard requires a $3000 minimum before opening an IRA, it will take me 15 months to save enough to open one. Would it be better to divert some of the "Savings" fund into the "IRA" fund so that I can hit that minimum quicker? I have 4k in "Emergency" so theoretically I don't need the savings for anything short-term.

It worries me slightly not throwing stuff into savings (even though technically I could just move it from the IRA fund if required) but I feel like this is just some irrational belief that isn't founded in anything.

I don't see any harm in that. Keep in mind that if there is a genuine emergency or a legitimate need for that money, you are allowed to withdrawal your contributions any time for any reason without penalty or taxes (you already paid the taxes). You do pay taxes and a penalty if you take out the earnings, but when you take money out, all your contributions are taken out before the earnings are even touched.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Same Great Paste posted:

I'm new to the US (been here a year), and trying to establish a solid credit history. This entire time I've been using a secured credit card, but finally got approved for an actual credit credit card.

As far as the credit score is concerned, am I better off keeping both or canceling the stupid secured card?

ninja : I know the OP says don't worry about credit scores and just make good decisions - but I'm genuinely concerned about eventually successfully qualifying for a car or home loan.

Like Dead Pressed said, in your case since your credit file is so thin, you should keep it open, as long as it isn't charging you too many fees. They do look at the average age of your accounts along with how much of them you are using. It will matter less once you have had your actual credit card for a couple years, but if you close it now, you are going from an average age of 1 year back down to 1 month.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

giundy posted:

I'm going to preface this post with I like my toys, and I'm sure I could save more but that is irrelevant.

I work as an engineer, I have pretty good job security and I'm not worried about future income. I currently squirrel away 8% into my 401k and for my 25th birthday present to myself invested 3k into a Roth IRA (two weeks ago). The bad part, I took out 40k in student loans which my parents co-signed. 2 years ago, a little after I graduated my parents took out a home equity loan to pay off my loans to benefit from lower interest rates. Currently the loan has a balance of 15k at 3.2%, but my name isn't on the loan. Basically I pay them on this balance each month trying to pay it down quickly. I also owe them on a personal loan, but that's not important at this time. Last year I bought a Jeep as a 2nd vehicle / project with cash. Besides 1k in stock, those are the only purchased assets of mine.

The run down: took out student loans with parents co-signing. Payed those off in parent's name. I have one credit card for 6 years, however my mom is also on that account. I recently got my own credit card the parents have nothing to do with.

The question:
I'm going to buy a motorcycle. I don't need one but I want one. Now, like my Jeep I can buy a used one with cash. (yes even buying one I have a 6 month backup) However, I am pondering financing a new bike instead. Would it be beneficial to my credit to have this on record? Even if I buy a $4500 bike with a 2k down payment, will I see a significant benefit toward my credit if I want to buy a house say 3 years from now?

Unlike Same Great Paste, you have tons of credit and if you are trying to buy a house, actually having money in the bank will go a lot further than any stupid extra tradeline you get from financing a toy you don't need, even if it does bump up your score a bit, which it might.

It sounds like you make good money, so congratulations on that. But if that's the case, why are your finances so intertwined with theirs? Let me guess, you can't close down that credit card or take your mom off because it will hurt your credit? You put their house at risk for a bit extra tax deduction, and there is another personal loan out there but that's not important to you so lets not talk about that.

Why is having another toy more important than standing on your own feet? I like how you justify buying it like your are doing the responsible thing in "building your credit"

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Grenyarnia posted:

Guys I need investment advice. Here are my details:

Income: $43k before taxes annually
Debt: $0
Assets: $1,000 (I just paid off all my debts with my savings, which is why my assets are so low.)

Budget:

Monthly take home pay: $2600

Less:

Cell Phone: $90
Car Insurance: $60
:420:: $200
Entertainment: $200
Food: $100
Gas: $200

Remainder: $1,750/mo.

I live with my dad and plan to for another 4 years, which is why I have no rent, utility, or food costs. I want to have as much money socked away as possible when I move out in 4 years, because when I move out I want to go where I want and not have to worry about much financially.

What are the best vehicles to sock away my money in? Because of my age and living situation, I think some higher-risk investments would be preferable, but I am no expert (obviously) so I'm turning to you guys. Thanks!

Because you are making good money for a 21 year old, you are living at home, and they are not charging you anything to live there, the temptation is to find stuff to blow your money on. It might be a good idea to have money directly deposited at a mutual fund company and/or an online savings account like INGdirect.

You want to have both liquid savings that can be accessed quickly, and longer term investments that have more upside potential. For the savings, you can not afford to lose anything on it, which means it will be very conservative and you will get 1% if you are lucky. For the long term, you should think about opening up a Roth IRA and check out the long term investment thread to learn more how they work and what to put in it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

also $200/mo on :420:?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3277879

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Grenyarnia posted:

Thanks for the advice, I've been reading up on the long-term investment thread and feel like I have good knowledge on what I should do now to prepare for retirement.

What about mid-term investments, though? Any recommendations or sources I should check out? I'll probably be buying a car within 4 years (cash of course, probably around 10k or less) and a house within 5-6.

Edit: As for weed, well I actually decided to quit smoking yesterday after working with my budget so that's not an issue anymore. And I would have grown my own if I could, but living with my dad makes that kind of hard.

I know I’ll be corrected if I am wrong, (and I hope I am wrong) but for a goal 3 or 4 years away, I’m not aware of anything that pays out close to any reasonable yield. In normal times you could get a 3 or 4 yield CD if there was a clear goal at a defined time and get a bit more, but these are not normal times and 4 year CD’s yield barely anything with the disadvantage of tying up your money. Anything that could be called an investment, whether it be a stock with a decent dividend, a bond, a diversified mutual fund, anything that you could add to juice up the return can go down.

I think there was a thread about high yield checking accounts at one point and I think I saw yields of 3% or 4%, and those are legit place, but there some hoops to jump thru. You have to agree to have direct deposit of everything going there, there probably will not be any physical branch nearby, and there may be some limits on ATM access. It is your call.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

spatula posted:

Yes, I just checked all of them and there's nothing negative. I plan to keep doing what I'm doing, but when can I expect my credit score to go up? I'm making plans to move in a year, and it sounds like my score is going to be really important to secure housing.

Most landlords won't check your credit and the ones who do check just want to make sure you are not leaving a trail of financial destruction behind. If you are in the high 600's you will be fine.

If you are trying to increase your score, staying current, not opening up too many more accounts, keeping your debts low, and just the passage of time all help.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Qaz Kwaz posted:

You don't need a credit card as long as you can pay for things with cash, which you can.

I do hear what you are saying. I see people every day who get in trouble with debt, and I see people doing stupid stuff all in the name of building their credit all day. I’ve been the first one to call people out on that in this forum when goons try pulling that argument.

That said, I don’t think what you are saying is realistic for most people. There is something to be said for getting a credit card and demonstrating you can repay stuff. Most people have major purchases, or unexpected events in their lives that are difficult or impossible to save for, and even having one credit card and having a credit score makes that possible, or at the very least, easier.

To give some examples, JiUC is fortunate to live in Canada where they actually make it somewhat affordable for students and it doesn’t cost tens of thousands of dollars to go even to a state school, and it’s cool that he can cash flow it. For Americans, if their parents didn’t save enough, should they only go to community colleges because they can never borrow money? In lots of place in the country, even starter condos are $250,000 or more. If you tell someone that they can never borrow money, assuming they can save $12,000 a year on top of their bills, their rent, and their retirement, you are telling them they have to wait 20 years to buy that starter condo, and how much will it cost then? It’s probably going to go up faster than the 1% you will get in a money market. To some of our Haitian members who belong to my credit union, if they need money to help rebuild their relatives homes and don’t have emergency savings, do you tell them their families need to keep living on the street until they manage to save enough money from getting a second job?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Large Hardon Collider posted:

I'm a college sophomore and I want to start building credit. What credit card should I get? (yes I'll pay it off on time)

I’m biased toward credit unions, but is there one that serves the student community? I think it is always better to deal locally with a credit union or a community bank. Personally I would avoid the big issuers like Capital One, Chase, Bank of America. You could get a Visa credit card from the littlest credit union and it will be accepted just as many places as a Visa card issued by the biggest bank, and will get reported the same exact way to the credit bureaus too.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Large Hardon Collider posted:

I'll look into student-focused credit unions, thanks.

What's wrong with national banks? I just switched to BoA because they have an ATM on campus, saving me $4 per withdrawal.

Potentially nothing, potentially a lot, but if you really want your account to be screwed up, talk to Bank of America. Every bank can make a mistake, but when Bank of America does, they are known for the right hand not talking to the left hand, you will make call after call, and get a different answer each time depending on who you talk to, and then when you think its fixed, they will surprise you again. They have creative ways to apply transactions to maximize their fee income. With their credit cards, they will make sure you get a variable rate, and the moment you forget to pay it for a month, (and it can happen to the best of us, in spite of your good intentions now) jack your rate up to 20% or 30% or worse.

Long story made short, they are a huge, undercapitalized bank who made terrible acquisitions and bets on the economy, and they are trying to earn their way out of their mess, and they will do what they can to do it on your back.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

JiUC posted:

It went to collections a long time ago, and at the time I had no income. To be honest, I wouldn't even know how to go about paying it now?

Have you ever looked at your credit report? I am assuming the procedure in Canada is the same, I know that the major credit bureaus in the states all have Canadian divisions and score them similarly. The credit report will have who the original creditor sold the account to, and there will be a mailing address, account number, and usually phone number associated with the account. I would call them and ask where to send certified funds. DO NOT give them electronic access to their account, as collectors are scum and you don’t want them to forget that you already paid it and sell it to another collection agency who decides to pull the money again. Ask for a letter that says it has been paid and closed, and save that letter forever. Laminate it if you have to. These things have a way of popping back on your credit report at the worst times.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

I have two credit cards. One of them as a 12.99 APR, and a balance of 13,461.83. The other has an APR of 20.99% and after I make a payment in a few days will have a balance of 0 (and a credit limit of $6100). Now the 20.99 APR card has a balance transfer offer for 0% APR for 11 months. I want to transfer $6000 from the high card to the empty card.

I'll be able to pay off the 0% APR in the 11 months, so I don't shoot back into 21% territory. I'm guessing the smartest way to do this is pay 1/11th of the 0% card every month, and throw the rest of my money at the 12.99% card, right? Is there any other smarter way to do this? Is there some fancy calculator I could be using to figure out the cheapest way to do this?

You do know that 0% is a gimmick, right? No bank makes money by lending at 0%, so how come they don’t go out of business? First, there is going to be a transfer fee. Then they will put you on a very short leash and if you stray by just a bit, or even if they mishandle one of your payments, you know the types of rates that card is capable of. Don’t think 21% is a cap. 21% is just one of many possibilities. 0% becomes a game. And you might very well win the game. I don’t know. And if you are intellectually honest, you don’t know either.

Is there a smart way to do it? Just pay it off? I see people get in trouble because instead of paying off their debt, they look for cleaver ways to manage their debt. Here is a link to a loan calculator, but it isn’t fancy.

http://www.dinkytown.com/java/SimpleLoan.html

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

If I had the $14k in cash I'd pay it all off and be forever gone of my youthful habits.

But here in the real world, I'm trying to pay off my debt in the cheapest way possible. I can afford about $1000/month towards debt in total, about half of which will go toward the 0% card via automatic monthly payments. The $90 in balance transfer fees is well worth it when I'll be saving $75/month in interest charges.

Sounds like you made up your mind, so I’m not sure why you asked. Some points to keep in mind are you are not saving $75/month in interest charges since based on your numbers you are transferring $6000, not $14,000. My math shows that you are saving something like $36 in interest/month, presumably less over time since you will be paying it down. And you might get away with it. Kudos if you do. But if you are really going to pay $1000 per month, will get you out of debt about 7 to 10 days sooner. That’s assuming everything goes perfect.

Of course what usually happens is that people decide to pay their 0% cards the slowest since they view it as free money, they don’t pay back the other ones as fast as they hoped, their car needs repairs, they have to fly somewhere to a friends wedding, or they drop their phone in a puddle and decide to upgrade to something cool, and they never pay back as much as they hope, and they come to the end owing almost as much as they started. Unless something messes up the 0% before, and then all bets are off.