Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Pillowpants posted:

I can help you make a long term budget (different excel sheets for each month and a debt/savings tracker) if you'd like.

Don't hawk your product in other subforums dude. Not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

JiUC posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I'm also wondering what I should do with the cash that I'm currently just throwing in my checking account but don't need. Someone suggested opening an ING direct savings account. Is this the best idea?

Smarty pig is nice.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

Stupid question of the day:

A 0% 12 month balance transfer offer with a 5% fee would cost the same over 12 months as a 2% APR 12 month balance transfer offer with a 3% fee, correct?

No because interest gets charged on the interest too.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

I like turtles posted:

I'm making approximately $55k/yr, have no debt, ~$6k in my checking and $20k in my HSBC Direct 1.10%APY online savings account. If I don't do any trips or buy more toys, I can get the savings up to $30k by spring pretty easily, I'm guessing. I work three jobs, half time at $40k/yr prorated, half time at $42k/yr prorated = $41k, and ~10hours a week at $34/hr.

If I wanted to game $5-$10k of the savings, what are my safest options with the best return within 5 years? Being able to get that money out of where ever it is without much of a penalty would be a plus. I am sure I'm "just" asking for the world here, but there's gotta be some sort of happy medium between risk and reward that is right for me.

I don't have any particular goals, though a house downpayment would be nice. Mostly I like seeing bigger numbers.

I work for the state of Arizona for the two salaried positions, so I'm in the Arizona State Retirement system. I don't expect that'd be enough to cover retirement (I'm 25), but it'll be helpful, at least. Even though I perhaps should be, I'm not overly concerned about seperate retirement investment at this point.

I think I'm spergy enough about research and statistical analysis 'n junk that I could be OK at the whole day trade stock thing, but I don't particularly want to be that guy at this point.

Anything that isn't index funds is gambling, and you should first be satisfying something like a Roth IRA to get in on all that hot compounding interest action.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

zeldadude posted:

Yep, I'm going to be investing around $800 a month into this savings account. So I'll have $1k very soon, I'll probably start up with stocks then. I'll read up on SmartyPig, thanks for the suggestion!

Stocks aren't a good way to just make money. It is very volatile and highly prone to swings. Are you investing in a retirement account at all? Need to get your 401k (if your company matchers) / IRA in order first.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

royalejest posted:

I'd like to keep my checking account to no more than about a paycheck's worth at a time (it was extra low today because my rent check just cleared), but then how much do people usually keep in a liquid account like the BoA savings would be vs. other savings accounts, and then investments?

I tend to like to have one full months complete expenses immediately available. That seems like enough for most small immediate emergencies to me.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

BorderPatrol posted:

Is there any point in contributing to a 401k if the company doesn't match? My old employer did this and I never contributed.

Sure.

A) You reduce your marginal income tax paid, as you can think of the 401k money otherwise being taxed at your highest marginal rate.

B) The money in the 401k grows tax deferred, i.e. you don't pay taxes on the earnings every year until you start withdrawing at retirement. The difference in final balance between taxation every year vs. at retirement is huge.

As long as your plan isn't completely crappy in terms of expense ratios or loads, it is still worth it. And if you leave the company, you can roll that 401k into an IRA, and get to pick any funds you want, which will get rid of crappy expense ratios.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

bam thwok posted:

Considering your shaky employment and difficulty finding a job, I'd say your cash savings should stay where they are, especially if you intend to move out soon. Additionally, if your mutual fund investments are consistently returning in the 10-12% range even with a fairly conservative equity/bond split, I don't really see any compelling reason to incur fees by fiddling around with it. But let's see what other goons think.

Yeah but you've got to subtract out the back-end load from that to get a true return, which will probably be much lower.

Pieces: Can you explain why ETFs are better than mutual funds (hint: they aren't) (double hint: new almost never equals better).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The explanation I’ve heard is that because they trade like a stock, they can be traded near instantly instead of like a mutual fund, which can only be bought and sold at the end of the day. Also, their expense ratios are tiny, less than a mutual funds, even less than Vanguard index funds, so for someone who wants exposure to something, and will never trade, they will pay less in fees. The downside is you have to pay a broker every time you want to trade, so they would be horrible for someone who wants to regularly invest a couple hundred bucks a month automatically.

Admiral level funds at Vanguard carry the same ER as the ETF. Yes ETFs are different, but not "better" as some general rule, and the ER difference can get wiped out by broker comission and bid/ask spread. He was treating ETFs as some magical new class of thing when they are just another way to buy mutual funds.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

80k posted:

Choosing between index funds and ETF's is about the least important decision you need to make. However, ETF's have several advantages over index funds:
- Often lower expense ratios (not as much the case now that Vanguard lowered minimums for Admiral shares. However note that many Vanguard index funds do not have admiral share class. International Small, FTSE ex-US, and Dividend Appreciation index come to mind).
- No trading restrictions, early redemption fees. This is significant as Vanguard imposes 60-day trading restrictions from buying back a fund after selling shares. They also have purchase and redemption fees on some of their international funds.

The negatives of ETF's are very insignificant: plenty of commission-free options out there. Also bid-ask spreads are tiny for highly liquid ETF's, which are the only ETF's you should be considering anyway.

I agree with all this and maybe "they aren't" is too strong of a word. I really should have said "the difference between them and the corresponding fund isn't going to be any where near as large as the difference of getting out of a loaded mutual fund into something lower cost". He could still be going out and buying high ER ETF's, it isn't like they absolve you from understanding what you are buying. Just another way to buy mutual funds.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Consummate Professional posted:

Hey everyone, first time I've posted in this thread/forum.

I'm 21, in the military and have pretty few bills. I have 2 grand in savings, a $350 credit card balance with 0 APR, and then internet/cell phone/car. My car payment is about $102 a month and insurance is $138. My car payment has 2802 left and it was a 36 month. The worst part is the 13.44 interest on it.

I'm about to get 1300 back in taxes and I want to start investing in retirement. I'd like to get a Roth IRA started through USAA. I don't really know much about them, other than to max my yearly investments and it'll pay out well at the end. But how should I break up the investments? Or should I just kill my car payment? I'm not too concerned with it because I'll get a raise about 1/2 through on top of the extra money I'll make during deployment.

Kill the car loan as no reasonable investment is going to get a 13% return in the long run.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Dbhjed posted:

I am in need of some investing advice.

I am starting to save for a house and want to save to have the 20% down payment and some for closing cost

I currently have $5,000 saved up for a down payment on a house, but since that is far below the $34,000 I need for my down payment (with closing costs) I would like to invest this but I need the following from it:

-Allowed to deposit money at any time (looking to direct deposit set amount from paycheck plus extra I have left over every month)

-A decent APR (something better than the .25 cents I am getting right now from it sitting in a regular savings account)

-The ability to take some money out in case of extreme emergency

Anything you want to access in 5 years or less should only be in a savings account or CD, but you want monthly deposits so savings. Still, you can get rates upwards of 1.3% on those. Or a rewards checking if you want to deal with the hoops. Unless you are fine with needing to access it and it has lost 10% of its value.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Mikey Purp posted:

After doing a bit more research I think that laddering some shorter term CD's would make the best sense and hopefully hedge against rate increases, what do you think?

We are thinking divide the amount evenly between a ING savings account for liquidity, and then divide and ladder into an Ally 6 mo (1.05% APY), 1 year (1.29% APY), 18 month (1.37% APY) and 2 year (1.5% APY)

At those rates might as well stick it in a online checking account at like 1.1% and just not bother.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Engineer Lenk posted:

Your intuition is right - it doesn't really matter whether the tax is taken off at the end or the beginning, and Roth will only make sense if you think you'll be in a higher tax bracket at retirement.

In the US, we're at near-historic low tax rates right now, and there's an income eligibility cap.

Its not that simple, since the way it works is that with traditional IRAs, the deduction is off the top (i.e. x more dollars not being paid at the top marginal rate), and in retirement the tax payment fills up from the bottom (i.e. you pay the taxes on a lower marginal rate if you don't have much taxable income). So if you anticipate you have very little taxed income during retirement, a traditional IRA would be better than a Roth simply to fill up the really small tax brackets later.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

Okay, but just to be clear, when I say "spending" I only mean that I use that card when I part with money, because using debit from my current account might put me into the overdraft which would be more costly. I still mean to spend as little as possible right now. I'm in a holding pattern with the old card, and have been gradually paying off the second. Thinking about it, my total debt has been going down, though slower than I'd like.

Sounds to me like you need a cash-only budget. Stop spending money that isn't actual currency. Make an actual budget and stick to it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm not sure I see how it's different to paying with the card and putting more on it than I spend each month. And I could end up dipping into my overdraft if I shop with my debit card.

Don't shop with any sort of card. Physical money has a far different psychological effect, and with a budget in place you have actual limits. It works. Look up the envelope system.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Zantie posted:

What do you guys think of Clark Howard? I like to listen to him since he's basically a moderate Dave Ramsey and doesn't think credit cards are the devil.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/

He's a libertarian nutjob (but non religious) Dave Ramsey. He used to be good, but I tried to listen to a recent episode and he just wouldn't shut up about how anything that isn't completely private insurance is going to send this country straight down the toilet.

I wish there was someone who did the sort of financial counseling Dave Ramsey or Clark Howard did without all the preaching and ranting. No, Suzee Ormann doesn't count because she is batshit as well.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

polyfractal posted:

Is there a "minimum" one should have available before starting investing in non-retirement vehicles? I'm saving for retirement (both 401K and IRA), although I am certainly not maxing out my contributions (because I don't make that much money). I would like to get involved in other investments, mostly just for fun. I understand that speculating like that is risky and I consider any money I throw at it to be already lost, akin to spending money on a hobby.

That said, I don't have gobs of money to throw, even if its a hobby. Is there a general minimum that is required (say, $5000 or $10,000) before you are even capable of investing decently? Can you do small, hobbyist investing with $1000?

The less you have, the more fees you have to pay. And since it is basically just gambling anyway, you are at an even bigger disadvantage when you have to pay more fees.

Just take up a hobby that is productive and doesn't cost so much, and put more towards retirement.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Untagged posted:

What is regarded as the highest one should go when looking at the housing vs. income ratio?

Is 50% way too high? I'm possibly moving to the Northern Virginia area and at the salary of 48K, I can't find anything on short notice below $1200 (+utilities), even for a one bedroom. If my math with local taxes is right, that's about a little over 50%+ when factoring in other costs and expenses.

Yes 50% pre-tax(?) is way way way too high. It should be about 30% max. Incidentally 1200 is 30% of 48k. Still that is pre-utilities. I would feel more comfortable at raw rent being about 1k max if you can.

Then again my rent to income ratio is 6.2% so what do I know.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Catsoup posted:

I have $60,000 in my bank account for college savings - right now I'm going to be at community college for the next year which costs $1500 a semester, and then at a college for 2 years that costs about $6-9k a semester.

Right now it's all sitting in a savings account, tell me what to do with what I'm not going to use. I have absolutely no idea.

I have no debt, and a new car that is 100% paid for.

Maybe a CD would have a better rate, but you really want to keep most of that liquid for living expenses, books, medical emergencies, etc. so you don't want to be investing in the stock market with that money. A high interest savings account is close to the best you can do. Shop around for a decent rate online.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Dreadite posted:

I have a question about retirement investing that is probably totally inconsequential.

Currently I have a 401k through my employer that I pay 4% into and they match 4%. I also have a private Roth IRA that I contribute on a monthly schedule to. Is there any advantage to upping my 401k contribution to like 10% or more, since it's pre-tax, and cutting back in my Roth contributions? Will this ultimately be to my advantage since it reduces my tax liability and I'm getting money that I otherwise wouldn't be able to see because of taxes?

The other issue would be how much you like the funds offered in your 401k. The IRA is nice because you get to pick what you want to do with it. Also there is more flexibility with a roth IRA in terms of early withdrawal if necessary. The rules usually are 1. 401k up to matching maximum 2. (Roth) IRA 3. 401k up to maximum allowed, and I think that is the right order to follow in most normal circumstances.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

polyfractal posted:

So Amazon offers a credit card where you earn 3 points for every dollar spent at Amazon (and 2 points for gas/drugstore/restaurant, 1 point everything else). I'm currently using a 2% PenFed card for everything. I spend a decent chunk of money at Amazon though.

Would it make sense to open an Amazon card and then use it exclusively for my Amazon purchases while retaining my PenFed for everything else? Or is it silly to micromanage reward cards this way?

Edit: The card has no annual fees, but a higher than average APR (17-24%). However, I always pay off credit cards each month so I'm not worried about the APR.

Look at the Citi Forward card. 5 thank you points per dollar spent on amazon (counts as a bookstore) and restaurants, movie theaters, etc. Convert them to some giftcertificates for an effective 5% rate or even if you convert it straight to cash 5 points per dollar comes out at about 3.8%.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

What are thoughts on on getting store cards for those 0% interest for X months, even if you have the cash for the purchase?

I'm thinking of getting a $400 laptop at best buy, and they're offering 0% for six months, which would be cool, as I'm always going to get some furniture this week, and spreading that out would give me a bit more breathing room.

Plus, more credit cards for me to stay current on and not gently caress up :suicide:

Would having more cards that are all current improve my score any over having fewer, considering that in the past I haven't always kept current. Though for that matter how long before that stuff gets reported? In the past I've been late by a few days, which is probably enough to make the credit card companies happy, but not bad enough to report.

You realize that the slightest fuckup on the 0% offers results in all back interest being charged retroactively right? They are basically designed to trap people like you who are prone to loving up every now and then.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Netflix is the best value in entertainment ever invented.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I would totally pay down the 0% ones first, because 0% offers are designed to try to screw you over. Sure you *can* manage to do it right, but they are 100% ready to pounce on you at the slightest mistake, and frankly I don't like people holding that much power in their pocket over me. As BorderPatrol showed the differences aren't that great, but only in the perfect case of nothing coming up that would cause you to be late.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
You need to be looking at what it is you are actually spending from month to month. You clearly have some leaks that you don't know about. You need a budget. Post a breakdown of your spending for the last month or two, and we can see what is out of whack.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

CelestialScribe posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I already have a detailed budget and i know exactly what im spending money on. My issue is just that i thought i would have more cash at 23 years old.

What are you looking for? Yes you should be saving more if you can barely manage to accumulate 1 months worth of salary savings by the end of the year. But that depends on what else you are leaving out of that. Retirement accounts? And we won't know why you aren't saving more if you don't tell us your budget to see where you could cut back to up savings.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there anything necessarily wrong with having tons of open unused credit sitting out there, if I use mint to check my statements regularly? I could close some cards, but I'm not sure if open credit is worse than closed credit especially since the cards I would close are some of my oldest.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

moana posted:

Tons like lots of cards? How many are we talking about? I think it should be fine, especially if they are your oldest ones.

6 cards total, two I've had for 4+ years, 4 I've opened in the last 15 months. I use three of the newest 4 for different rewards and don't touch the other ones.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Not quite sure where else to ask this: Has anyone else had trouble linking Citibank credit cards with Mint for the past month plus? I can't seem to get it to work.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Not vouching for his math but he isnt working a full year so that changes his tax situation.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

modig posted:

I don't understand the reasoning behind building up an emergency fund when paying of credit cards. You have credit cards, those are your emergency fund. So pay them down, save on interest and use them in an emergency.

Beause most people who have carried credit card balances in the past are more prone to spending credit card money differently than real money. And credit cards can be revoked at any time, especially when something happens like you are no longer making money, that is a time the credit card company is liable to dump you.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
A VA doesn't make sense for you. Cash it out, pay off the credit cards.

Also try to sell your part of the vacation home.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
So I just paid off my car (and plan never to take a car loan again)! Does this affect my car insurance at all? I know that I used to have to have collision because I didn't own it, but I still want collision on it. Would telling my car insurance company that it is mine now lower my premium otherwise?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

TheShineNSB posted:

:words:

I have a $2000 deductible for collision and for comprehensive. I prefer self insuring most things (and can afford to).

But then again I have extraordinary limits (1M/1M BI, 500k PD, etc) because I'm paranoid about the long tail disasters that insurance should cover for. I worked for a summer doing pricing statistics at an auto insurance company, so I know all about all that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

TheShineNSB posted:

Awesome. Get an Umbrella policy if you don't already have one, as having 250/500/100 auto liability and a $1M or $2M Umbrella is often cheaper than having 1M/1M/500K and no Umbrella, even though an Umbrella is shitloads better (more coverage, and broader coverage).

Gotta run to work now but I can elaborate on Umbrella insurance if you're not familiar with it.

Hmm I guess I've never really priced it. I've just always assumed that umbrella pricing only made sense when you have a house to insure too (I don't, I rent). The main reason for such high coverage is that I am a high earner so if something horrible happened I could be gone after for a lot.

I'm paying 600 for 6 months of car insurance. I wonder what that would look like

quote:

I am actually very interested in hearing about Umbrella insurance for my home. I just moved to a new neighborhood that does not allow fences. I have a neurotic dog that I want to insure against any stupid thing she may do. I'm doing everything in my power to keep her contained, but without fences, I'm a bit nervous of someone getting hurt. I've been told the best thing I can do is get a bug Umbrella policy, care to talk about it?

Thanks!

Umbrella policies are high limit policies (like 1 or 2 million) with high deductibles (like 500k deductibles). They are meant to kick in only when your normal insurance is maxed out.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

illamint posted:

I've got a 0% balance transfer offer from Citi that can let me consolidate my higher-interest cards into one, so I can take what I would've been paying on those and put it towards some savings.

Usually with the privilege of paying 4% right up front. Do the math first before doing that (and even then I don't like it because it leaves you with more open credit to dig further again).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

mike fictitious posted:

It is amazing that when I was younger, interest rates were really high, but I had no money to save. Now that I have enough money, there's no interest to be earned. When I look at stuff like Ally Bank CDs, the return is so awful that I never bother. Is there some relatively safe way to invest this money instead of the terrible return from our money market account?

~1% at an online savings account is about the best you are going to see right now. Thats just the way things are.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

GregNorc posted:

I almost never use credit cards - I use my debit card (which runs as a Visa) for everything except when I travel for work, then I charge my plane tickets and get reimbursed.

You should really use a credit card for this, as if your card gets stolen and fradulent charges happen, while you will get your money back eventually it takes away from the money in your checking account in the meantime, while with a credit card it is the companies money being held up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

GregNorc posted:

I think you misunderstood - I use a credit card on vacation or when making large purchases. Day to day stuff like grocceries or a trip to the bar get the debit card.

When you use the "debit" card it runs through the Visa network, and I get the fraud protection from it. To use it as a debit card you'd need my PIN.

You get fraud protection from it, but while the fraudulent charges are disputed your money is still being put out.

Imagine you go to a bar and the dude behind the bar copies your strip. He goes and uses the card to buy 1000 dollars worth of something. You have 1100 dollars in your checking account. That 1000 dollars gets taken out, you notice it a day or two later, and start to initiate a charge dispute. This takes a few days to resolve, and then finally you get your 1000 dollars back. But what happens in the meantime when your electric bill, cable bill, etc also start to get taken out of your checking account? You overdraw and get charged.

If it is a real visa credit card, your money is never held up due to fraudulent charges. Just use a credit card and pay it off every month.