Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Help me get off the loan treadmill. :supaburn:

I have a substantial debt going on right now. (~$12k @ 20% APR) I'm using the "save in the margins" technique and have cut my gym membership, a couple cheap gaming site memberships that were adding up, and a bunch of other crapola that I can jettison from my life, hopefully saving me around $120 per month. As well as more DIY projects. (Although I can get obsessive...I just built a towel rack for $15. $3 for the pipes and cables, the rest on paint and hooks.)

My main debt is a 12 year old credit card I've had with Wells Fargo for ages. I scrimp and save, get depressed, blow money, do it again.

My idea was not only to cut back spending, but do a balance transfer and do my banking business at a credit union. Would they deny me because of my debt? Is this a good solution? If I can get a 12-15% APR interest rate, it may help me make some gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

DuckConference posted:

It sounds like some therapy could really help you a lot more than just a plan based on financial numbers.

Spending is therapy. :colbert: