Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Accidently posted this in the stocks thread, so reposting it here since I am a newbie.

Ok, ETrade is frustrating me. I rolled over money from my old 401k from when I was a substitute teacher to an ETrade Rollover IRA. Granted, it's a small amount of money, $414 approximately, but it's still worth investing, right? So I go through their automated questionairre, and it dumps me on step 3 out of 4 telling me their recommended solution is to build my own portfolio, even though the previous 3 questions I stated I have no investing experience and would rather have things chosen for me.

So with the recommended amounts for my large cap and small cap and all that, I decide to just go ahead and look at some mutual funds and do it myself. However, the transaction fee for each is $20! That's going to cost me 5% of my rollover IRA for each time I distribute my money into mutual funds! Is there any solution to this that doesn't end in me losing 20%? I should go ahead and state that losing this $414 doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just want to invest as much of it as I can without blowing a huge chunk on transaction fees.

In case anyone is wondering, here's the results I got:
Large Cap 44%
Small Cap 16%
International 20%
Fixed Income 17%
Other 0%
Cash 3%

edit - got a reply in the stock thread telling me that diversifying $400 is a joke and to just throw it into an index fund instead, whoops, ETrade confused me into thinking I should diversify...

sublyme fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU