Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My credit union offers 5% checking/savings up to $25K. Requires dirict deposit which if you are in a pinch, can be handled with a paypal account. Luckily my work allows unlimted deposit breaks, so I have like 5 different banks that my money goes to.

I found similar deals at other credit unions locally. (usually 3-5%)

No usuage or balance requirments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Kobalt posted:

Spending is therapy. :colbert:

When I was kicked out of my parents house, I did this. I bought all the game systems and poo poo my family could never afford when I was a kid.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Piano posted:

What should my first course of action be on getting this corrected, or really is it even worth worrying about?

I always stat but mailing a dispute with the CRA as not mine/ never late regardless of what it is. You have a small chance of the OC not even responding and it getting removed anyway.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Your credit card likely has a complicated way of figuring out finance charge, but the answer to your question is simple. As the balance (slowly) goes down, your minimum payment will go down too, which means you are paying it down even slower as time goes on if you only pay that amount.

A lot of cards use a min of 10$ or 1-2% + Interest, which ever is greater.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ejstheman posted:

How does it affect your credit to have inconsistent income? I have two jobs, both paid hourly and both variable. When putting my yearly income on forms, should I just take the average of my last six paychecks and extrapolate it to a year or something?

No effect on credit score, but will effect DTI which usually determines how much credit they wil give you. For most unsecured (and even some secured) debt, this is not really verified, so you can exagerate a little, but keep in mind that it can bite you in the rear end if you ever need to file bankruptcy.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Murgos posted:

I've spent many a night in sub freezing weather, outside in a standard sleeping bag wrapped in a poncho laying on a rubber bitch on frozen ground and been plenty warm. You should have no problem being warm at 62F.

I've done this, the part that sucks is seeing how long you can hold it before finally leaving your warm cocoon.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SynMoo posted:

I'm looking for a calculator that will let me see how much interest I'll save and how early I'll pay off my auto loan if I halve my monthly payment and pay it twice per month instead of once. They idea is that it cuts down on compounded interest.

I've found plenty of calculators that will show me the difference if I over pay, which I plan to do, but none that will show me the results if I pay twice a month.

Example: If my car payment were $400 per month, instead of paying $400 once each month before the due date, I would pay $250, every two weeks.

Amortize at 26 periods a year instead of 12. That should work, you can do it easily in excel....google the formula.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

zantar posted:

My fiance and I are getting married in october, and we are also looking to possibly buy a house before that if the opportunity comes up (it's the one we are renting.)

With a credit score of 735 and her 750, would it make a difference to the lender for us to wait until after the marriage to get a home loan?

No they don't care. In order of importance it's going to be DTI, then FICO (which is sorta binary, pass/fail), and then LTV will determine your pricing mostly. Conventional mortgages are pretty standard.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
They have to refund the fee if you close in 30 days.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Oakey posted:

I know this comes up every so often but I thought I would try again and see if anyone had any advice. I've been using mint.com for somewhat over a year now. I have had everything set up really well and it's been useful, but I am getting pretty tired of having accounts randomly stop working for a few days or the current issue, which is that I haven't been able to actually get to the login screen since Tuesday.

I don't mind paying for budgeting software, I just haven't seen anything that looks good. I've heard Quicken is buggy and MS stopped making MS Money. Any suggestions?

I'm using quicken because of the MS Money cancellation, but I must say that I absolutly loved Money better. I've been using it since like 1999.

Mint is a fun toy, but I would never use it seriously.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Oakey posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, it started working again today so I guess I'm not annoyed enough yet to try to move to Quicken. I guess I could get by with checking it less, but I always tend to check it after reading BFC so that I can reassure myself I'm doing things well :).

I also used the old MS Money and really liked it as well. I don't know how you guys handle manually entering every transaction, that would take me forever. I like how I can tell Mint to categorize things and it's very easy to change categories if it gets it wrong.

I have everything BUT my main checking account sync. I try not to have too much stuff hitting my checking account anyway because I get pretty paranoid about it. Everything I possibly can goes on credit and then there are only like a few transactions that actually hit my checking account (Mortgage, Taxes, etc.)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Why not just pay during your grace period and sock the money for the $.50 in interest. I mean if you are that anal...

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Pfhreak posted:

Yep! We're working on it. We had some bad habits when we finish our degrees. We're breaking bad habits like crazy. It used to be much higher than this. We ate an absurd amount of thai food.

Also, we tend to spend a little extra on foods that we feel morally important (cage free eggs, etc.)

I can understand this and was the same way...once you see it, it's really easy to reduce. I went from like 700 to 250 almost instantly without changing much of anything.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Remember if you "exaggerate", it has the possibility of making the debt undischargable during a BK proceeding as that is a common (and easy) thing to check during the 341 meeting.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
http://20somethingfinance.com/2010-irs-maximum-allowed-roth-traditional-ira-contribution-limits/

I think you have until mid-April so You didn't miss any deadlines yet...

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I use the 1998 version of Microsoft Money.

HAHAHAHA, me too! I used it forever. I actually won the fight after a heavy week of tweaking 2007....and then right when I got it to work perfectly, they cancel it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

illcendiary posted:

Does anyone have experience with credit card limits being lowered arbitrarily?

I have one card with Amex that I use exclusively, and two Visa cards from Citi that I used to use but no longer do. They don't have a balance and between them my limit is about $7000. Should I worry about Citi dropping my limit since I'm not using the cards? I haven't missed a payment in the three years that the accounts have been open.

Because I actually do this, I can say the decision to shut down an account is usually a risk based one, and not one of utilization.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

T0MSERV0 posted:

A 720 isn't fantastic, but it's certainly not bad.

Ummm, most credit products have around 720 as the floor to thier highest tier... it's the bottom of the best in terms of risk based pricing. Remember, every ten points double the increase or decrease of default. Once you get too high or too low, it stops being meaningful.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Ask for them to lower or waive the transfer fee...sometimes they will do it. Also, Try to get the Havard Alumni card, it has 0% balance transfer fees as a standard feature, and starts at like 7.9% interest I think

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

LifelongFan posted:

Question about credit scores. I was thinking about buying a car in the next 6 months so I checked mine and it was atrocious (609).

I was shocked since I've always been fairly conscientious with paying bills. I guess the biggest hits were the fact that I only have a low-limit credit card ($4900 limit) and I have a balance of $3000 so the 60% looked bad. I plan on paying off that balance soon as I'm graduating from college in a couple weeks and am getting a raise from $32k to $61k a year salary.

The other thing that made a huge dent was seemingly a $50 unpaid balance that was in collections due to a parking ticket from 2009. I'd never been contacted about this, which is unusual for a collections agency, but yesterday I called them and paid it. It's insane that a parking ticket could ruin my credit but it appears it could. It seems to have made a 70+ point negative hit on my credit.

I only have the one credit card, should I open up another one and keep the balance at zero? I was excited to get the big salary raise and buy a car, but I want to make sure I have a good credit score first so I don't wind up with an atrocious loan interest rate. Will the parking ticket $50 balance go away now that I've paid it? If that stays for 7 years ruining my credit I'm going to be so pissed.

You would not have a near 600 score for utilization alone. See the adverse action codes on your credit report if you can...that will spell out the top negative drivers.

EDIT: sorry, misunderstood. I would dispute that paid collection every other month until it dropped...I bet they won't verify.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Merrill Grinch posted:

If you do it too often, you'll get turned down for new cards when they check your credit report. They're not entirely stupid.

I am almost 100% sure they are not judging based on that criteria (they really can't anyway).

What MAY be happening is they will deny you if you have too many inqueries as that is a fraud indication.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I know a couple of institutions that got burned pretty bad by having someone come in with great credit, and over the course of a month opening up 20 or more credit accounts (commercial and unsecured credit) and then transfering all the money out of country. Most now have a hard limit of inqueries that will start to push you into judgemental/denial just for that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

KennyG posted:

Leasing (with possibly the exception of a business) is a stupid financial decision.

I'm not defending leasing, but the usualy reason why it's a bad idea is because people are retarded at math and it's not as simple to find out your costs, not because it's a worse deal. It's actually even if everything else is even, there is just a huge market in making sure it's not.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
There is a middle ground here. For actual bank backed credit cards, I always keep all info updated on the 5 or so I have even if I never use them. For store cards, if I don't use them in a year, I close them.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

The Broletariat posted:

He bought one for all the grandkids in '92, and my dad said my uncle threw a fit over it, saying how bad of an investment it was.

So you're saying I should cash it out and invest elsewhere? A savings account would even net me better interest?

My parents did the same thing when I was a baby and gave me the policy when I was 18. I eneded up cashing it out and dumping it into an IRA to avoid the tax hit.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is SUM network just an east coast thing, or is it nation wide? I don't think I've ever found a non-SUM CU anywhere within hundreds of miles from where I live...in fact, I can't think of a small bank around me that ISN'T part of the SUM network.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Ironically, I can find a SUM ATM more easy then I could find a BoA ATM. They should really push that nationwide and really destory one of the only reasons you would bank at BoA anyway (ATMs everywhere).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I've had landlords try this twice with me, and both times I got it back by asking for the escrow statements to see how much the final settlement would be.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
That sounds pretty standard...I had the same thing at the last place I worked. 15% discount, buy every 6 months.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Eggplant Wizard posted:

So... what's the deal with depositing foreign checks?

I have a check for £7,100.34. According to a variety of internet sources, the exchange rate from USD to GBP is around 1.65. That'd make my check worth $11,693.05. When I went to Bank of America to deposit it, they gave me an exchange rate of I think 1.56, and the amount would be around $11,100. This is a significant difference. I tried calling their customer service line and they don't have access to the exchange rates used, and the teller at the bank didn't know why there would be a discrepancy either. It doesn't seem to be official fees- they just use a lower rate and feed you a line about it changing every moment (which it does, of course, but it doesn't suddenly drop 10 cents between my google and their calculator, nor does it jump 10 cents going the other way.). Based on this blog post and a couple other google results, this is not unusual. They simply don't tell their tellers or customer service people about the hidden fee. I tried calling my other bank (ING Direct) but they won't accept foreign checks. I called the credit union on my campus and asked how they do it, and they send it to Members United, who send it back to the issuing bank, who finally decide the rate. I guess I will try calling BoA again and having a tantrum, and if that doesn't work, I may open up an account with my credit union and do it through them, since it seems like the best option, and since BoA is manifestly evil anyway.

I don't really have a question; I just wanted to tell someone about my adventures, I guess. If anyone has an easier suggestion than opening up a different bank account, I'd love to hear it.

Cash it for actual currency and then exchange the currancy at a place that won't gently caress you on the exchange rate...I don't know if that is possible, but I did actually do this with Yen before.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Stew Man Chew posted:

Is there such a thing as a fixed rate credit card any more? My credit score is awesome and I have no outstanding debt at present, does anyone have any recommendations on a bank for a non-Visa credit card?

Harvard Alumni card was 7.9% fixed

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

baquerd posted:

Renting (at a fair price) is always going to be cheaper than buying *because* you're not building equity. If you can buy a place and have renters pay your whole mortgage or more, you're taking advantage of their ignorance.

Unless the value decreses year over year, then you aren't building equity anyway.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

baquerd posted:

You're still building equity as long as you're paying your mortgage. You're simply paying a high premium for that equity if your house value is decreasing.

If you bought a home in 2006 for 250K and you financed 215K, and it's worth ~150K in 2010 (which is VERY common in many areas), how much equity do you have in 2010?

Now it's 2011 and it's worth $130K, do you have more equity?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Niwrad posted:

Perhaps someone knows this, but is it true that credit bureaus are given an extra 15 days to verify a dispute if you pulled it off a free credit report as opposed to a paid one?

What they have to do and when they do it should be spelled out in the FCRA...I don't remember anything about source of info though...it's always good to read through it if you haven't.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Many financial institutions use a paltform called "Titan" to underwrite cards. This uses FICO only as a small subset of it's decision engine. Things like deposit balance (if you bank with them), and other factors (over drafts, etc.) are weiged heavier because not only are they more predicitive, but it makes sense from a core deposit point of view as well.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Chin Strap posted:

You get fraud protection from it, but while the fraudulent charges are disputed your money is still being put out.

Imagine you go to a bar and the dude behind the bar copies your strip. He goes and uses the card to buy 1000 dollars worth of something. You have 1100 dollars in your checking account. That 1000 dollars gets taken out, you notice it a day or two later, and start to initiate a charge dispute. This takes a few days to resolve, and then finally you get your 1000 dollars back. But what happens in the meantime when your electric bill, cable bill, etc also start to get taken out of your checking account? You overdraw and get charged.

If it is a real visa credit card, your money is never held up due to fraudulent charges. Just use a credit card and pay it off every month.

To add, I used to be a only debit card person myself, kept the reciepts, synced with MS Money...it was a good system....until it got cloned at a gas station skimmer. It took loving 2 months to get my money back. It took 6 months to eventually get all the charges reversed, and that was with a detective on my side practically yelling at the branch manager, and then finally someone in corporate. NEVER AGAIN. With a credit card, your limit is reduced for a couple of months while they work it out, with a debit card, it's your REAL loving MONEY.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

NickArtcade posted:

Thanks!

To add to this, interest can never make you go over the limit as you are paying the upcoming interest in advance (sort of). It never really capitalizes unless you are 60 dpd.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

kaishek posted:

My wife got a new credit card at my behest to take advantage of some round trip flight offers (something that I do all the time, but have a spreadsheet to keep track of). This being her first new card in a while, she forgot to make the payment due until about a week late. Will this negatively impact her, and/or can I call up Chase and say "hi, this late payment was totally our fault, we've had other cards with you for X years, please take the late payment off her record?"

They don't start reporting until 30dpd.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

moana posted:

I suppose I was thinking that all of the daily transaction commissions would more than overwhelm the interest. Maybe that was true when I got my first credit card, but I really don't know what it is now. You're probably right.

It's all risk based pricing so the interest rate is offset by the risk (it's the margin where the real money is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mighty Amoeba posted:

Can someone explain to me (or direct me to where it is explained) about this whole thing about not wanting to carry above whatever percentage on your card? I usually put between 25-40% on my card every month and I had no idea I was doing anything wrong. Why is this bad?

Edit: I pay off the entire balance every month, for the record.

People try to game utilization rates.