Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

dalstrs posted:

Are medical bills considered the same as other debt on your credit report?

Bills that aren't a credit product have no history so they can only count as a derog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

dalstrs posted:

So that means if this million dollar ICU bill that my insurance refuses to pay for is sent to collections it will basically gently caress me.

Depends. You might want to keep it from going on your report by poisoning the well by opening disputes with your insurance and the billing company...it comes close to a violation if they know about the dispute and still report it so most won't...

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Xguard86 posted:

I recently left a job and I am considering rolling my 401k over to my roth IRA. I have tried google but it is kind of confusing and I don't want to go to jail for screwing up my taxes.

My current 401k = ~$11,500 All fully vested so no problem.

2012 Contribution to my Roth IRA = $5,000

My reason for doing so is mostly simplicity and convenience and so I get my money off Fidelity (my employeer's choice) and to vanguard (my roth ira, my choice). What do I need to do and is this actually a good idea or should I leave it alone?

You'll take a tax hit unless you roll it into an IRA. This is not really a good or bad thing, it just is, and is something to think about.

Personally, I would make another IRA account with who ever holds your Roth and roll it into that. Make that your dedicated "401K dumping ground". That's what I did years ago.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Xguard86 posted:

Do I take the tax hit when I withdraw in however many decades, or is there something I need to do next time I file? I'm just terrified of somehow owing enormous amounts of money to the IRS because I didn't know about some form or procedure.

If you go from an IRA (pre-tax) to a Roth(post-tax) the entire IRA will be counted as income for that year.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Xguard86 posted:

that is a thing I do not want. So if I take my 401k and open a non-roth IRA my tax bill this year will be $0 and I will owe normal IRA taxes only when I eventually withdraw?

Yes. In fact I recommend anyone who has to roll one over to make a long term IRA somewhere because odds are you will have to do this again in 3-5 years when you leave your next job.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Open a CD with the money and then have her use it as colleteral for a cash secured loan.

You make interest and you have a mechanism inbetween you and the transaction. This abstraction is really the best of both worlds because someone else will be collecting the money and someone else will be doing the dirty work if and when she defaults.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Xenoborg posted:

Are they? I have one checking account, one savings account, and one credit card account and it says I have only one account.

Even if it is counting checking and savings accounts too that seems absurdly high.

Not if you are opening and closing a lot of cards...I used to signup for the store cards to get the discount, and then I end up closing them around a year later when I remember. I've had Best Buy, NTB, Beldons, Macys, Nordstrom's etc. I still have a target card because it ends up being 5% off everytime which is really unheard of for a store card.

Then what if you have a mortgage, car loan, student loans (through how many servicers), overdraft protection, etc..... it can add up.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

mfaley posted:

I was actually wondering about this. Actually, what I was wondering about is their Gold and Green cards -- I realize they are not credit cards and thus don't contribute to your revolving credit, but do they offer anything else? Perhaps a "foot in the door" kind of thing with Amex for future cards with them?

I have a gold card and they list the max amount I had charged as my credit limit, so it does count as a revolver.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Oliax posted:

The pre-qualify is really just a marketinig gimmick. You are probably on some mailing list that contains a high percentage of people that do typically qualify for the charge cards, and so got the mailing also. Unfortunately, your actual Blue Card application represents Amex' true assessment of your credit worthiness. :commissar:

Pre-approved is actually a legal term. It means they cannot deny you for a credit decision. They can deny you for other decisions though (income, etc.)

If they deny you for a credit reason (and your credit remains the same as when they pulled it) after being pre-approved, they done hosed up.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Oliax posted:

"Pre-qualified" <> "pre-approved". Also, since they will never tell you why they rejected you (the person on the phone won't know, the computer doesn't tell them) it doesn't really matter whether it was realted to income, credit or something else...

Speaking of "hosed-up" if you really want to boggle your mind try reading the card-member agreement some time. It's a work of true legal virtuosity. (Not in a good way.)

No, you'll get a letter telling you why you were rejected. This is actually a pretty strict legal requirement.

Pre-selected means they used no personally identifible data to provide the offer. If it's pre-approved, it means they pulled a soft pull on your credit. They can do this without your permission because they then have to offer you credit if you accept and can't deny you for a credit reason.

The fines are huge for messing this up.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 11, 2012

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Love the new thread title. As someone in credit risk, the gaming drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Best part of an HSA is avoiding the retarded AGI floor. People using it as an exotic investment are going to ruin it for people who are using it for its intended purpose, like just about everything else. It's why we can't have nice things.