Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Miss Fats posted:

I'm also trying to find out if it's feasible to buy a new Macbook Pro (I need a laptop for work and the one I have now is dying after 4 hard years of college life). The one I'm looking at is around $2800

Not to pile on, but if you need it for work, then work should pay for it. It is unreasonable for them to expect you to buy equipment costing that much right when you start working for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

illamint posted:

Definitely take advantage of it. If you're good (i.e. not a wannabe CS major), your salary prospects will skyrocket with a B.S. Skyrocket. No one in my graduating class who actually got a job and isn't going to grad school is making less than $75,000.

I would not say that that is a reasonable expectation for a salary out of college unless you are living in an incredibly expensive area. Even then, it's iffy.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lyon posted:

My question is obviously, is this the cheapest way to set the thermostat? Or is it cheaper to say do 64 and 59 so that heater doesn't have to work as hard to get the house back up to 64?

Furnaces work more efficiently the longer they're on, so you're better off making the furnace work longer by having it heat up the place by 10 degrees instead of 5. You also may want to look into moving into an apartment that is smaller/has better insulation to reduce your heating bill in the future. Those will matter a lot more than keeping the place at 54 vs 59.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Does anyone know if its possible to do the same thing with ING? I know smarty pig pays a bit more, but its not like I have that much money, I already have Perk street, and I just don’t feel like opening up yet another account, linking everything all over again, and getting another whole series of emails for an extra 15 cents a month. But having subaccounts and being able to save for discrete things sweetens the deal more. I know its more mental and less math, but you can’t discount mental.

Just apply for new savings accounts on their website. They all show up on your accounts page, and they only take a minute to create. I think I have my checking account and 4 savings accounts listed.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

Pieces: Can you explain why ETFs are better than mutual funds (hint: they aren't) (double hint: new almost never equals better).

Using Vanguard as an example, their S&P 500 index ETF has a 0.06% expense ratio, and their investor shares 500 index fund has a 0.18% expense ratio. Purchasing ETFs through Vanguard has no purchase fee, and the only additional expense I'm aware of is the bid/ask spread. In this example, an ETF may be better if you don't have the 10K to get admiral shares of the fund, or if the fund you are looking to contribute to doesn't have admiral shares. I'm not saying ETFs are always better, but in some cases they are.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

OlyMike posted:

I have a quick defaulted(?) debt question. My wife's ex-husband defaulted on a car loan. The car was repossessed. She signed on the loan originally (she was 18, we have to give her a break.) It went on her credit, it's been well over 10 years, so it's left her credit. She still gets a letter from a debt collection agency about twice a year. Original bill, 5,000, they want 900 now. Will this ever negatively affect anything? We've bought a house, and two cars so I'm guessing not, but I'm just curious if anyone has any insight.

It depends on which state you live in as far as statute of limitations goes. They can try to ask you for the money indefinitely, but if it's after the the statute of limitations, they can't take you to court over it any more. http://credit.about.com/od/statuteoflimitations/a/entirestatesol.htm

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

A Charles Schwab study shows that about 83% of companies offer 401k plans, so companies that don't are definitely in the minority now.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_21413239/charles-schwab-study-reports-more-companies-offering-401

edit:I'm dumb it doesn't say that

Inept fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 2, 2012

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sophia posted:

Actually I think that says that of the 1,000 companies they manage 401(k)s for, 83% of them offer advice to their employees, likely about investment options or how to use it effectively. 401(k)s are becoming really popular but they're still too expensive to administrate for 83% of employers to offer them. Small employers wouldn't be able to absorb the costs.

Yep, I missed the word advice. What a difference a word makes.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

shop posted:

Either way I'm sure it's a good deal and I trust him on it.

Why the hell did you have someone make an engagement ring for you if you don't have the money to buy it?

Also what kind of reputable jeweler only deals in cash?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Orange_Lazarus posted:

5 now and 5 in April I believe. I know you have until April to make your 2012 contribution.

You can actually contribute for 2013 in January. Basically it works out to a ~15.5 month window to contribute each year.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

So since I hosed up and didn't use all my Healthcare FSA money this year, I'm wondering what happens to it. Does my employer get it back, or somebody else?

Company gets to decide, and they almost always will put it toward the cost of running the fund, even though they could theoretically give you an extra 2 1/2 months to spend it in the next year. Also, about 40% of people forfeit at least a dollar each year. A good system.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a bit of money with the family's Money People, and their high turnover strategy

Gotta get that churn if they want those commissions. Negative return is some feat for 2017 though, wow.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You should be able to use that to get it for free. Pennsylvania's law:

quote:

(1) A consumer will not be charged by a consumer reporting agency for placing a security freeze or temporarily lifting a security freeze if the consumer is a victim of identity theft and provides, or has provided, the consumer reporting agency
with a copy of a police report.

Definition of identity theft in Pennsylvania:

quote:

"a person commits the offense of identity theft of another person if he possesses or uses, through any means, identifying information of another person without the consent of that other person to further any unlawful purpose."

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

budgieinspector posted:

I'm seriously debating going to school full-time, starting in the fall. The upside is, it'll shave a year off my projected graduation date. The downside is, though I'll have a degree, it isn't really a marketable one (Cinema: Screenwriting); even if I can find a gig in the field, the industry doesn't care much about scholastic achievements. If I can't find a writing job, the degree will just function as a tick mark in the "Applicant Has a Degree" box.

Given that it's probably not going to help you get a job, I'd advise against being a student full time. Can you get a new job doing what you did previously? Even if you don't want to work in your current field in the long term, finding any job is easier when you already have a job.

I'd get a new job to give you an income and then work on getting a job in the field that you want.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I wanted to buy that car used but was shocked to learn its only $1000 cheaper with 20k miles on it. These cars seem to hold their value fairly well compared to non-hondas. The trade in value is even over 20k. Though I do understand spending 25k on a car is kinda silly when you can get a pretty good car for 10k.

Don't look at dealer pricing or trade-in on used cars. They're bullshit numbers. Look at some private party ads on Craigslist.

If you want a new car, you can probably afford it. Whether it's a good idea is another question. Consider whether you just want a new car because your current one is pissing you off. You would save a lot of money buying a 3-5 year old car. Also, do you need an SI? It's $5,000 more than a regular Civic.

quote:

So my question is, where should I put all my money? I know leaving it just sitting in my checking/savings is foolish. Is there such a thing as an index fund that pays dividends and mails checks to you every quarter or whatever? that sounds pretty cool to me but I'm not sure if anything like that exists, or if its a good idea.

Where should I invest? Should I try to make a new account with Fidelity and just throw it all into index funds? I want to be able to withdraw money if I need to.

This thread can help https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Why do you want to be able to withdraw money? An emergency fund with 6 months worth of expenses is important, but you currently have $45k in the bank. You can and probably should start putting some money into tax advantaged retirement accounts.

Create a real budget and track your expenses. Think about long term goals. What do you want to be able to do? Retire early, open a business, buy a home, backpack across Europe, etc.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

baquerd posted:

If you can handle a tiny, tiny amount of risk, some money market accounts are cresting 2%.

Money market accounts are FDIC insured and as safe as a savings account at a bank. Money market funds are the slightly riskier option.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

Right now, plan is:
X to Emergency Fund

Both Credit cards are relatively the same in APR (20%) so I went with the smaller one first.

Side question, my work doesn't do 401K matching. If I'm OK taking the hit, should I start putting in 2% or so or would that be pointless right now until some of my debt gets freed up?

Since you have high interest debt, I would get a minimal emergency fund of ~$1000 and put everything else toward your credit card debt until it's paid off. Don't bother saving for retirement until then.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think by law, the crappiest vesting schedule allowed is 20% per year over 5 years.

It is. Extra bonus if they don't let you start contributing the 401(k) (and start the vesting schedule) until you've been there a year and are at least 21 years old.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You can also get your ChexSystems info frozen if you're paranoid like me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wikihow: How to get a dadbod without kids

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bushido Brown posted:

I do also think some folks haven't done the math on just how gnarly 6% interest on 220k is. Chipping away at it is an endeavor.

Yeah but you're making a quarter million bucks a year. At that point interest rate is an excuse.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

oliveoil posted:

While I'm at it, what kind of professional do I google for if I want to get Bitcoin into a retirement account?

If the business that you were asking about EINs for is related to Bitcoin, please post a thread. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You'll probably get your contributions paid back, plus perhaps some interest if you're lucky. But yeah, you'll never get the pension if you don't meet the vesting requirements.