Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
posted this credit card advice request in A/T
got lukewarm response

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291862

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Strict 9 posted:

The Vanguard STAR fund only requires $1000 initial investment and is a fine choice until you reach $3000.

I have a vanguard star account that my parents opened for me like 12 years ago with around 1k, and I curse its existence almost every time I take a serious look at my portfolio. It's only worth about 3k now, which is pretty horrible in and of itself, but if I do the numbers and compare the returns I've gotten on other investments (stocks, mutual funds) that I've made myself, it's just like arghh. At this point, the star account is only like 5% of my overall portfolio, so I think I'm just going to leave it in reverence to my parents and cash it in when I'm 80 or something, but I constantly wish I never had it.

do your due diligence before investing in this one and make sure you don't have anywhere better to put your money at such a young age

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this is probably a really simple dumb question but

how does ordering checks work? In the past I've always just used whoever my bank wanted me to, but I opened a new business account with BB&T and they want a couple hundred dollars for checks, which is ridiculous. can I just go to any of the billion 'discountchecksfree.com!!!' places, or is there any sort of certification or anything a company has to have? feel free to recommend places too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm 27 and turned a sort of part time IT consulting hobby into an actual 'business' this year - IE, I filed a DBA with the state and opened up business accounts and stuff. It's just a sole prop, and I'll file my income and expenses as schedule C on my tax return. I still am employed part time and get a W-2.

My question is, are there any tax beneficial savings/investing vessles for self-employed/sole prop people? Like a 401k or IRA or something that I can have my 'company' match contributions to? I really feel like I need to get my savings in order - I have about 40-50k invested in stocks and a bit of cash to my name, but other than that no savings. No company I've ever worked for has had like 401k or really any benefits at all so I really just don't know much about them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

alreadybeen posted:

Check out SEP IRAs.

Thanks, this looks like what I was thinking probably existed.