Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shifty
Jan 12, 2004

I dont know what you're talking about

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm not a huge techie, so would you be kind enough to enlighten me why you need a $2800 laptop to do a $2500/mo job?

I had this conversation with my sister when she "needed a laptop for school". There's just something so awesome about a Macbook Pro that a regular Macbook, or Windows/Linux based laptop can't compete with.

Inept posted:

Not to pile on, but if you need it for work, then work should pay for it. It is unreasonable for them to expect you to buy equipment costing that much right when you start working for them.
Even if they did buy him a laptop, it wouldn't be the Macbook Pro he wants. He also probably won't be able to keep it when he changes jobs.

You should be more concerned with your $7,798.25 in credit card debt. If you pay $1500 a month starting on the first of next month, you'll be done by November 2nd. If you save the extra $100 a month this leaves you, you'll have around $1600 after your last payment.

Your current computer won't last you 6 more months? Get a $200-300 netbook. If your current computer is 4 years old, you won't notice much of a performance loss, if you get any loss at all. If you must buy a Mac, why not buy a Macbook (nonpro) either used but still under applecare, or refurbished? Then when you're asolutely sure you have a new job, and can pay cash, you can spend the 2800 on the laptop you really want. That way you won't risk needing to pay the 22.99% retroactive interest for 18 months if you're unable to pay it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU