Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY
I just graduated with my Doctorate of Pharmacy and got one of those $100,000+ jobs that was mentioned earlier. I'm set to be in a comfortable financial situation, but want to manage things properly right from the start to get the most out of my money. A vague idea of my situation is such:

Debt:
GradPLUS student loan: $12,750 @ 8.5%
Stafford loans: $46,500 @ 6.7%

No car payments or credit card debt. I do keep a credit card and put all my general purchases on it for the month, but then I pay it off at the end of the month, without exception.

Income:
-Tough to say so far, since I just started the job. I'm at $1548/week before taxes right now as a graduate intern, but as soon as I pass my licensing exam (probably early July) that will bump to $2322/week.

Expenses:
-Probably about $650/month in rent and utilities will be coming soon, as I am hunting for an apartment.
-I'd like to save all summer and pay cash for a car at the end. Maybe $9,000?
-Cell phone is shared with parents and is $38/month
-Food/drink/fun runs me about $600/month, but I haven't done any budgeting yet and would like to get a handle on where that goes and what might need to be trimmed/increased now that I'm out on my own.

Other points:
-Eligible for employer health insurance in about 80 days, and I'm doing without until that time comes.
-401k matching doesn't kick in until next summer, so I don't plan to do anything with that until that time.

What I'd really like to know is how should I prioritize paying back those loans. I've been conditioned to avoid debt whenever possible. The loans have been a great help in getting through school, but my natural tendency is to use every spare penny I have to pay them down and avoid the interest. I know that savings and investment should probably be mixed in there somehow. I've committed to myself that I will put a minimum of 25% of my gross pay toward investments/debt/savings. How should I balance these things? I feel very fortunate to be in the situation I'm in, but I want to make sure to maximize the use of my money rather than squander it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU