Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I graduate in May and my lease ends at the end of May. I have enough money in my checking account to cover rent, utilities, food and living expenses until I move out (and presumably back to my parents home). I then start graduate school out of the country, in Germany, in October.

Right now I have $7,000 in my savings account and I don't know what to do with it. I'd like to do something with it short term (5-6 months, until I move to Germany which I'll then need this money) because I'm sure there are better options than just letting it sit in a savings account and grow a few pennies a month. What do you guys recommend that I do? It just needs to be short term and I would need to be able to access my money in September or October, and I don't want there to be any risk involved so no stock trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

moana posted:

You could do a 6 month CD but honestly, the rates are so low right now (around 1%) that it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I'm no finance/business major but if I'm doing my math right based on what I remember (Pe^(rt)) then at that rate I would end up with $7035 after half a year. I don't think $35 is worth the time I'll invest going to the bank and filling out the paperwork.

Are there no other options? Unless of course I can just sit at home and do it all online then well, that's $35 for pressing a button which I'm doing right now typing this, which isn't bad I guess.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm curious where you go where it's $5/bottle of Bud Light. I was in NYC a few weeks ago and I thought the whole "drinking in NYC is expensive" was grossly exaggerated. But then again I was drunk the times I was buying beer so who knows.