Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

alnilam posted:

I wasn't sure where else to ask this,
So, what would somebody do with this information? My main guess is open a credit card and never pay it off. What can I do to monitor for someone doing something bad with my info?

Dik Hz posted:

Signing up for an account at creditkarma.com will let you soft pull your TransUnion score once a week. New accounts would likely show up there if someone opened one in your name.

Forget that, he should just do what Remy says and set up alerts and a credit freeze. That'll stop someone from making a fraudulent account in the first place. Score is unimportant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FizFashizzle posted:

On the 5500 report I see Hartford and Wells Fargos name a lot.

Would it help if I uploaded that? I don't see anything personal on here.

I'm looking at my freecreditreport statement and don't see any 401k information, though I did apparently have a collection called on me for 34$ :psyduck:

You need an adult. Please go to napfa.org and find a fee-only financial planner to help you sort things out.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

alnilam posted:

I did the equifax alert thing. Since there were a few weeks between losing the mail and when I set up the alert, is there any way to check if anyone has opened a line of credit in my name? Would that just be going to get my free annual report from equifax, and see what's listed on it?

Yeah look at the actual report.

Do an alert through both Transunion and Experian, too. Sometimes they hit different things.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

OrangeKing posted:

Here's a newbie question. I'm in the relatively good position of having a bump in my income and having recently (finally) gotten on the budgeting train. Things feel a lot better and under control now, but there are two major issues: at the moment I'm both heavily in debt (including a lot of high-interest credit card debt) and without an emergency fund.

For at least the next few months, I can put significant amounts of money towards building an emergency fund and pounding away at that debt. However, I'm having trouble deciding how to weigh the advantages of paying down debt as fast as possible vs. the risk that comes with not having an emergency fund with at least a month or two of income in it. Is there a general rule as to how I should approach this? As a default, I was thinking of splitting any otherwise unused dollars 50/50 towards these two areas.

Post in budget thread with specifics and they will sort your poo poo out.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

OrangeKing posted:

I do have rent to pay every month, but other than that, there's not really much in the way of "cash" expenses. Over the last couple of years, I've been very good at avoiding putting anything on my credit cards if I could avoid it, so having them around doesn't scare me, but I very much want to pay them down (particularly one that, as you said, has a very high interest rate). With that in mind, I'll prioritize debt repayment over the emergency fund then, without completely ignoring the latter.

This is good advice, but I'm just not comfortable sharing the specifics of my financial life here. A few months ago, when I didn't feel like I had control over the situation, I would have done this. If in a few months I feel like I'm not really improving my situation or my long-term prospects haven't improved as much as I thought, then I will do it. For now, I have a complete budget in YNAB, have cut spending, and I'm paying down debt aggressively for the first time in many years, so I feel okay on my own.

That's fair. I just mean ballpark numbers with interest rates so people can :spergin: their way to help you figure out the most efficient way to pay it down.