Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

asur posted:

I'm pretty certain this isn't true in his case. You can save receipts and reimburse yourself at any point, but I'm almost positive that you can't reimburse more than you had in the account at the time.

According to my company, you can reimburse more than you had at the time. Like if the company puts in $100 a month and you have a $500 expense, you can just pay yourself back the entire amount in 5 months.

I'm just not sure what happens when you switch insurance without paying yourself back in its entirety first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

nelson posted:

Self reimbursement is more of an IRS rule rather than an insurance issue.

So what does the IRS say about it then?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Put in the exact amount to get the entirety of a company match and no more.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pie Colony posted:

I'm not actually sure how long

Savings account

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pie Colony posted:

After doing some research (reading the first page of Google) MMAs seem like a better savings account, why would I not get one of those?

MMAs are investment accounts backed by bonds, but which function more similarly to savings accounts. I guess you could do one instead of it's extremely beneficial, like if you're breaking a few percent. Calculate your actual gain based off your balance compared to a straight savings.

Barring some major financial crisis, the value of a MMA shouldn't decrease.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is refinancing a 10k car loan even a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is Ally still the go-to online bank?

I’m shuffling some finances and don’t know if something better came around the past decade.

I’d be looking for something for general banking, not just chasing interest rates. No investments, just self-service checking/savings.