Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Ubiquitus posted:

Has anyone dabbled in alternative asset funds? I’d like to try to diversify that way, are there any open to the general public? Looking to dip my toes, but I have no idea where to start.

I know some stuff about medicine and a lot about computers, and very rudimentary knowledge about everything else, so I’d like to stay in those fields if possible

Is this for retirement? You shouldn’t need more diversity then what is offered through standard equity /bond portfolios.

But since this is the gambling thread, there are several crowd funding investment portals out there now that focus on various investment targets. Fundrise, crowdstreet, lending club, etc. You’ll likely underperform the sp500 on the long term and there’s a risk of being scammed due to these companies being so opaque in how they operate.

If your net worth is high enough you can also tell your broker to involve you in IPOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
It's gone!

https://twitter.com/FTX_Official/status/1591071832823959552

E:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1591072684154458115

cirus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 11, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Explain like I’m 5 why this is a big deal? Is all of crypto hosed or just a certain type of coin?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

nwin posted:

Explain like I’m 5 why this is a big deal? Is all of crypto hosed or just a certain type of coin?

Having a major exchange (FTX was promoted by a bunch of celebrities) collapse like this undermines faith in crypto and reduces demand. Which reduces prices. And there's no FDIC protection for account holders who've lost everything.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LLCoolJD posted:

Having a major exchange (FTX was promoted by a bunch of celebrities) collapse like this undermines faith in crypto and reduces demand. Which reduces prices. And there's no FDIC protection for account holders who've lost everything.

I know nothing about crypto. Can’t people just buy crypto on Robinhood or some other app? It’s not like people lost the ability to trade coins right?

Wait a sec-if I bought 10 bitcoins using FTX, are you saying those coins just went “poof”?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

nwin posted:

I know nothing about crypto. Can’t people just buy crypto on Robinhood or some other app? It’s not like people lost the ability to trade coins right?

Wait a sec-if I bought 10 bitcoins using FTX, are you saying those coins just went “poof”?

If you kept them on ftx, apparently this dude used them? There is a ton of debt all of a sudden, and it's not clear where depositors are gonna fall.

loving unregulated exchanges.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Do they provide information about their margins and how many loans have to default before they, you know, collapse?

I've invested a bit of money in a MIC to learn more about it and pretty much the only information I get is high level data about how invested they are in different markets and how many of their mortgages are 1st, 2nd and 3rd (risk increases as number increases).

So uh yeah low information.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

nwin posted:

My guy used the coins you had in ftx to pay another person who was withdrawing using those coins. Classic ponzi. You have no more coins.

He was also trading using those coins. That's a big no-no. He is in very big trouble.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 11, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

nwin posted:

It’s like if you’d left money in a bank and the bank had taken that money and done all sorts of unregulated, leveraged FOREX trading without anyones knowledge, lost a fuckton of money, and when you’ve gone to make a withdrawal it turns out the numbers on your account statement are no longer backed up by anything tangible. It’s actually even dumber than that because the scenario would require the bank to have invented their own currency and made leveraged bets using their made up currency as collateral.

Crypto bros are finding out why the actual financial system has a ton of regulation.

It also seems like a few of them are starting to realise that the fact the same thing keeps loving happening might be a sign that all the exchanges are doing the same thing and it’s just a matter of time before another one takes everyone’s crypto down with it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1591134043986612224?s=20&t=4v1GsFrDqMcHVa97Iu2dEg

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

nwin posted:

It's probably crypto Lehman moment except there is no bank of last resort.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

nwin posted:

Yes because he committed grand larceny for some reason and there's no insurance for those funds. I had thought people would have known better than putting their lifesavings in something like this.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is there anyway the absolute legend that made that tweet will be held legally or financially responsible?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Probably depends on if it's just a prankster or someone who held any kind of short position on LLY.

Can't rule out some young trader trying to use the twitter chaos for a pump and dump / trash and cash.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Michael Transactions posted:

Yes because he committed grand larceny for some reason and there's no insurance for those funds. I had thought people would have known better than putting their lifesavings in something like this.

Ontario teachers pension plan invested 95M into them as well. I guess it's a small percent of the total, but goddamn. I thought you paid wealth managers a lot to talk you *out* of doing things like investing in offshore crypto scams.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Cacafuego posted:

Is there anyway the absolute legend that made that tweet will be held legally or financially responsible?

No he just found out the fattie transfered 5b to his gf and droped that hint.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Baddog posted:

Ontario teachers pension plan invested 95M into them as well. I guess it's a small percent of the total, but goddamn. I thought you paid wealth managers a lot to talk you *out* of doing things like investing in offshore crypto scams.

Wealth managers sell those funds or get paid to pitch the funds to he client. Wolf of Wall Street was as close to a documentary as it gets.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

esquilax posted:

Probably depends on if it's just a prankster or someone who held any kind of short position on LLY.

Can't rule out some young trader trying to use the twitter chaos for a pump and dump / trash and cash.

Seems like a lot of healthcare stocks are down today. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was just a funny coincidence.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wow. To clarify, I did not buy any crypto at all-just trying to understand the effects. drat.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This seems to be a good summary of what has happened: https://newsletterhunt.com/emails/22937

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't been following this too closely but my buddy keeps forwarding me a bunch of headlines about it. Apparently Tom Brady, five time super bowl champion and went to the Whitehouse several times because xyz, he personally (?) invested $650 million (over half a billion dollars) into FTX

So if he's hosed I would imagine there's a long tail of people who put in $10k-$1mm

And yeah none of this stuff is FDIC insured so poof that money is gone

I give at least 50/50 odds this guy gets Epstein's in prison

drk
Jan 16, 2005
As funny as the twitter drama is, a fake tweet did not cause billions in losses

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1591149510168039426

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

nwin posted:

Wow. To clarify, I did not buy any crypto at all-just trying to understand the effects. drat.

It's also worth mentioning that this doesn't mean crypto is valueless. It's like an internet website going bankrupt. That doesn't mean the internet has no value. But it will make it harder for normies to ever get into crypto.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
(crypto is actually valueless though)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

FistEnergy posted:

Actually the value is that I own a lot of crypto so I need it to have value thanks

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Actually the value is that I own a lot of crypto so I need it to have value thanks

In my opinion you should sell it now, while it still has a lot more value than it has any right to in a rational market and also the music is stopping

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

My friend have you heard the good word about our Lord and Savior, Fiat Currency?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

My friend have you heard the good word about our Lord and Savior, Fiat Currency?

Please. Let's not bring Seraph into this thread.

I had a dude today tell me the USD and DXY are done..Yet again.

Like good luck to ya, coiner.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I can’t wait till we go full circle and some country offers fiat crypto.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I can’t wait till we go full circle and some country offers fiat crypto.

My friend have you heard the good word about our Lord and Savior, El Salvador?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cacafuego posted:

I’m sure they have billions to pay the damages

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Dang, that was a ridiculous pump on Thursday and Friday - also the € jumped liked mad against the $ (undoing the development of the last 6 months in 2 days), without any significant reasons. Like CPI is still mad high and they will probably just continue rising in 0.50 steps for a while without a pivot? Why the absolute greed buys without any substantial improvments in the face of a very challenging winter for the global economy??

A lot of this smells like it's inviting another major downards correction in the next 30 days - even without the additional issue that we have no idea how much colletaral damage is just waiting for us next week due to institutional FTX & general crypto investors eating poo poo...

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 12, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Try right after Thanksgiving probably. Or Monday. either or. es magically closed at exactly 4000

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

$GOON preliminary update:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/endra-life-sciences-reports-third-210500120.html

Highlights of the third quarter of 2022 and recent weeks include:

Nearly doubled TAEUS system scans at global clinical evaluation sites. Year-to-date, 95 TAEUS scans – nearly double the count announced in August – have been performed on study participants toward ENDRA's goal of building a strong body of clinical evidence. Data generated by these clinical evaluation sites will support the commercialization of the TAEUS system, and a subset of the data will also be used to support ENDRA's submission of its De Novo request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Finalizing collection of data for inclusion in the De Novo request to the FDA. ENDRA is pursuing the De Novo regulatory pathway for its TAEUS liver device, which is intended to characterize fatty liver tissue as a non-invasive means to assess and monitor Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). The De Novo documentation is substantially complete with remaining efforts focused on obtaining the final TAEUS and MRI confirmatory data, after which the submission will be made. The De Novo pathway should assist ENDRA in achieving the strongest market position in the United States with TAEUS-optimized claims.

Showcased the TAEUS system in ENDRA's booth at four major hepatology clinical conferences. The ENDRA team met with prospective customers, industry leaders and key partners at four major hepatology clinical conferences, including most recently The Liver Meeting by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases in Washington, D.C. The commercial team has continued to generate market awareness for the TAEUS system by participating in 11 industry conferences year-to-date and conducting other cost-effective marketing activities.

Strong balance sheet to fund the company through expected key milestones. With a cash position of approximately $8.0 million as of September 30, 2022, management believes ENDRA is sufficiently capitalized to fund operations through several important milestones, including ramping-up commercial activities in Europe and advancing the TAEUS system through the regulatory process in the U.S.

Expanded global intellectual property portfolio to 56 issued patents. During the third quarter and recent weeks, the company was issued eight patents that further protect its thermoacoustic imaging technology. ENDRA announced several new U.S patents focused on cloud-enabled connectivity of medical devices and is pursuing out-licensing opportunities with other equipment manufacturers.

"We are pleased with the increasing rate of progress at our clinical evaluation sites with 95 scans completed year-to-date, and we are working diligently to complete and submit the De Novo request for our TAEUS system. The effective collection of clinical data is the top priority for ENDRA because it will enable both a successful U.S regulatory submission and strong global commercialization," stated Francois Michelon, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ENDRA. "Further, we believe our strong balance sheet will enable us to continue our marketing activities in Europe, to achieve initial sales and to submit our De Novo request in the U.S."

Third Quarter 2022 Financial Results

Operating expenses increased to $3.4 million in the third quarter of 2022 from $2.7 million in the same period in 2021. The increase was primarily due to higher spending related to commercializing the TAEUS system and ongoing product development.

Net loss in the third quarter of 2022 was $3.4 million, or $0.05 per share, compared with a net loss of $2.7 million, or $0.06 per share, in the third quarter of 2021.

Cash and cash equivalents were $8.0 million as of September 30, 2022.

Conference Call and Webcast

Management will host a conference call and webcast today at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time to discuss these results, provide an update on recent corporate developments and answer questions.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ENDRA plz...

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Whelp, buying an LMT call..... Gonna laugh all the way to the bank with this one. Assuming the bank hasn't been engulfed by nuclear fire.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 15, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/ETFhearsay/status/1592658606461452290

I applaud the ticker usage

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ohhh blue star!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004