Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

I dare you to read his Twitter feed and not walk outside and punch the first person you see.

There's no denying he's a brilliant guy but yeah I see your point. I'd prefer to just look at him in the context of his business/scientific/literary work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Question about trailing sell/buy orders.

Are those good only during market hours?

I ask this because sometimes you see the price of a stock jump or drop by a good amount before or after market.

If you have an open trailing sell/buy order and if the price hits the trigger during non market hours, will it go through then on the trigger, or what?

I have a Scottrade account, havent gotten a response back yet.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
If I recall correctly AH trades are kind of "on an island" as far as a normal trader is concerned. AH trading may go up and and down 10% but the open and close are the only thing that matters.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Got a response from Scottrade. Orders are good only for the session for which they are entered.

This would suck if you have a trailing sell order hoping to get out at the top. It does fine during the day, then shits itself during after hours, and in the morning its down 20% when you had an 8% trigger. Gahhhhh.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

MrBigglesworth posted:

Got a response from Scottrade. Orders are good only for the session for which they are entered.

This would suck if you have a trailing sell order hoping to get out at the top. It does fine during the day, then shits itself during after hours, and in the morning its down 20% when you had an 8% trigger. Gahhhhh.

This has happened to me multiple times. I never understood how that works. Sometimes a stock will drop 20% on open and then one second later jump right back to previous close. I started to shut off my triggers at close because of this.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

LorneReams posted:

This has happened to me multiple times. I never understood how that works. Sometimes a stock will drop 20% on open and then one second later jump right back to previous close. I started to shut off my triggers at close because of this.
I imagine it must just be queued market buys/sells that people put in AH, does that make sense?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

destructo posted:

I imagine it must just be queued market buys/sells that people put in AH, does that make sense?

After-hours trading doesn't set the opening price since those transactions happen off-exchange. Open price calculation is a surprisingly involved topic. How it's done also differs by exchange. Here's how it's done on the NYSE, NASDAQ explanation here.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

With a 52 week high for F today, I wanted to stop by the second coming of the thread that I got pennystock FAQ'd out of a year and change ago and mocked endlessly for investing in the company I worked for, and knew would grow from the dollar and change it was selling at then. Just wanted to thank TraderStav for screaming how terrible an investment it was. Especially calling F a pennystock.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2641737&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=208#post353539828

Thanks again!

Nice purchase. I think your line of thinking was quite right. It was a company you worked for and you knew they put out a quality product and they were underpriced because of weakness in the entire sector. Don't be afraid to invest in something you believe in. Just because the stock is cheap doesn't mean the company is bad. It just means investors are scared. If you aren't afraid when everyone else is then you stand to reap rewards once things stabilize and everyone else stops being afraid and jumps back on the bandwagon.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Ned posted:

Don't be afraid to invest in something you believe in. Just because the stock is cheap doesn't mean the company is bad. It just means investors are scared. If you aren't afraid when everyone else is then you stand to reap rewards once things stabilize and everyone else stops being afraid and jumps back on the bandwagon.

This, so much this. My coworkers thought I was crazy for buying into Chariot Resources at 31c/share, even though they had a solid copper project and were dirt poor from getting it to that point.

China Sci-Tech Holdings just made a 67c/share cash offer for the issued share capital :smug:

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

ElehemEare posted:

This, so much this. My coworkers thought I was crazy for buying into Chariot Resources at 31c/share, even though they had a solid copper project and were dirt poor from getting it to that point.

China Sci-Tech Holdings just made a 67c/share cash offer for the issued share capital :smug:

The OP posted:

May I also suggest that any gloating must include a link to the post saying when you bought or sold the stock? :)

Also, if they were dirt poor from getting the copper project going, what if the copper project were unexpectedly delayed a few more months? Did you do any sort of stress testing or anything like that?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Sold 100 shares of Cardinal Health(CAH) today.
They're doing well, but they spun off a large section of their company a while back.
It really doesn't make sense for their stock value to keep going up, they aren't a growth company. All they do now is medical supplies as far as I'm aware.

I bought in at $28 a share.

Of course the market never makes sense and it will shoot up to 100 because I said that.

So now I have money to put into more stocks. Looking at Ford's stock details and financial statements...the Fiesta looks sweet.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 3, 2010

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Hobologist posted:

Also, if they were dirt poor from getting the copper project going, what if the copper project were unexpectedly delayed a few more months? Did you do any sort of stress testing or anything like that?

The project was delayed indefinitely until a buyer could be found. There was no way Chariot was going to be able to raise the capital, or had the expertise, to build and commission it themselves. As such, they stopped spending any significant capital and sat on their reserves until a buyer came along (they developed the project to shovel-ready status; permitted with positive feasibility studies, just awaiting funding). They may/may not have severely cut their executive compensation in early '08 as well.

Someone from China coming along and buying a ready-to-build copper mine in Latin America was pretty well inevitable.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

ElehemEare posted:

The project was delayed indefinitely until a buyer could be found. There was no way Chariot was going to be able to raise the capital, or had the expertise, to build and commission it themselves. As such, they stopped spending any significant capital and sat on their reserves until a buyer came along (they developed the project to shovel-ready status; permitted with positive feasibility studies, just awaiting funding). They may/may not have severely cut their executive compensation in early '08 as well.

So they couldn't get the funding to operate at a profit, but they could convince a buyer that the mine could be bought and operated at a profit.

Something doesn't compute.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

Question about trailing sell/buy orders.

Are those good only during market hours?

I ask this because sometimes you see the price of a stock jump or drop by a good amount before or after market.

If you have an open trailing sell/buy order and if the price hits the trigger during non market hours, will it go through then on the trigger, or what?

I have a Scottrade account, havent gotten a response back yet.

This is one area of stock trading that pisses me off. Huge market changes take place overnight, just in time for stop loss orders to get filled in the morning, 60% later. The big boys make big changes at night when you can't easily fill orders.

Instead, I propose you purchase out-of-the-money "protective puts" at a tolerable price level below where your position currently stands. This way, if there's a huge unforseen loss, the option contract you bought will increase in value inversely as the stock falls below your specified strike price, and it's immune to so-called "market gap" losses.

While it may sound complex, this strategy is very simple and cheap, since the idea is for your puts to never reach exercise territory. You can sleep easy at night knowing your SIRI, AIG, and C stock is safe due to those near-the-money puts you purchased a while ago. :)

Here are a couple great places to begin reading about options if you have no clue wtf I'm talking about :
http://www.fool.com/investing/options/options-a-foolish-introduction.aspx?source=ifltnvsnv0000001
http://www.investopedia.com/university/options/default.asp

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Hobologist posted:

So they couldn't get the funding to operate at a profit, but they could convince a buyer that the mine could be bought and operated at a profit.

Something doesn't compute.

They couldn't get the financing to build the mine because they're a bunch of exploration geologists who developed a resource to the point that you needed to spend half a billion dollars to see profit. They also completed their studies in April '09: not exactly the best time to go to a bank and ask for US$650 million in debt financing. Mind you, the studies were pretty solid; producing at the (independently) projected costs of US$0.88/lb Cu would turn a profit even when prices bottomed out last year.

I stand by my investment as calculated risk and not a lotto ticket.

Also, for reference: major mining companies rarely make any discoveries. Junior Exploration companies are wildly risky investments until they actually find something, but the lucky ones get to the point that a major is willing to buy them or their property and actually earn some money. And hopefully you retain a royalty, or in some cases a direct interest in the project. Due to the obvious lack of solid cash-flow in the majority of Junior's (since the vast majority of exploration funding will come from equity raisings), the attrition rate is pretty high.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hmm...what's up with Pfizer? Looks like they would be doing really well, but they got raped by investments and financing? Need to find a nice stock for a company pulling steady profit that isn't overdone. This rally is confusing...

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Pfizer announced this morning that results of their Phase 3 testing for an Alzheimer’s drug ended up not meeting the primary or secondary endpoints as compared to placebo. If you like Pfizer long term it may be a good buying point, but I don't have an opinion on their stock either way.

I've never been a huge fan of Pharma stocks as their testing trials, FDA rulings, patent expiration, lawsuits, etc, all are a pain in the rear end, but can make for some interesting and profitable short term trading. Personally, if I were to go long term on big pharma, I'd prefer a basket.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 3, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

lazybrain posted:

While it may sound complex, this strategy is very simple and cheap, since the idea is for your puts to never reach exercise territory. You can sleep easy at night knowing your SIRI, AIG, and C stock is safe due to those near-the-money puts you purchased a while ago. :)

You can't assign arbitrary strike prices. In fact, there are no OTM SIRI options right now because it's under a dollar. So let's look at Citi.

The nearest OTM puts are the at $3, C is trading at $3.40 right now. Let's say you have 100 shares of C you're afraid might head south. Delta on the $3 calls is ~8.5/contract so you'll need to buy 12 contracts to get delta-neutral (meaning that the price of the options increases in line with the loss in value of the underlying). With commissions it'll cost about $52 for the front side of the trade- that's $52 to insure $340 worth of the underlying (15%). If C does indeed drop and completely ignoring Theta you need C to hit ~$3.05 before you could break even on both the sale of the options and the loss in the underlying (this includes the $28 commission for selling-to-close). Or you need it to hit $3.92 on the upside to cover insurance costs. If the stock is anywhere between 3.05 (again, ignoring theta) and 3.92 when your options expire and you're banking a 15% loss.

People should feel free to deride me/call me an idiot if I've missed or misunderstood something.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

lazybrain posted:

Here are a couple great places to begin reading about options if you have no clue wtf I'm talking about :
http://www.fool.com/investing/options/options-a-foolish-introduction.aspx?source=ifltnvsnv0000001
http://www.investopedia.com/university/options/default.asp

Thanks for this. Will read up on it.

It would just be nice if you could do a trailing sell/buy order that was either GTC as it is now for the day, or have it last for 30 days or a specified period of time.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

MrBigglesworth posted:

It would just be nice if you could do a trailing sell/buy order that was either GTC as it is now for the day, or have it last for 30 days or a specified period of time.
I have placed trailing stop sell orders with Scottrade that are good till cancelled. However, I do believe that these orders only apply during market hours, and will not execute after hours.

I thought you had Scottrade too, am I mistaken? Or is the issue after hours?

For buying I generally use limit orders, so I can't comment how their trailing stop buy orders work.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

Thanks for this. Will read up on it.

This is generally a bad idea, as spreads can get really wide for no reason during off-hours trading. I don't know about Scottrade, but with thinkorswim you can set alerts when a bid hits a certain threshold and receive and email letting you know about it. Then you can manually decide whether or not to exit.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

After-hours trading doesn't set the opening price since those transactions happen off-exchange. Open price calculation is a surprisingly involved topic. How it's done also differs by exchange. Here's how it's done on the NYSE, NASDAQ explanation here.
Ahh, interesting. Thanks for the link!

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

dv6speed posted:

Pfizer announced this morning that results of their Phase 3 testing for an Alzheimer’s drug ended up not meeting the primary or secondary endpoints as compared to placebo. If you like Pfizer long term it may be a good buying point, but I don't have an opinion on their stock either way.
Heh, possible dead cat bounce on the way here (related). -70% in a day

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:MDVN

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
Question about evaluating performance and mathematics.

I am working on a spreadsheet to model investment growth and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to model an investments performance over time when growth is coming from growth of positions AND adding money to the fund over time.

e.g. I start with a $10 investment and add 10% each year. At the end of 20 years with 8% growth, how do I evaluate it's performance when the value of the investment has been increased by growth and my own additions?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

loud-bob posted:

Question about evaluating performance and mathematics.

I am working on a spreadsheet to model investment growth and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to model an investments performance over time when growth is coming from growth of positions AND adding money to the fund over time.

e.g. I start with a $10 investment and add 10% each year. At the end of 20 years with 8% growth, how do I evaluate it's performance when the value of the investment has been increased by growth and my own additions?

XIRR function in Excel can handle this.

goddinpotty
Sep 11, 2001

by Ozmaugh
.nm

goddinpotty fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 4, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Just for shits.. Watch GGWPQ in the coming week.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Ok, go pull up a quote for EDZ. Whaaaaaaat.

edit: http://trak.in/india/direxion-launches-1-for-10-reverse-share-split-of-etf/economy-73819/

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I'm not going to complain about BRK.B's performance this past week at all. In fact, I'm quite pleased.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
As am I. I really didnt think it would go this far, this fast.

HOLY poo poo on that EDZ, WTF?

Edit=ah, reverse split.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 4, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Sure am glad I dumped those GS calls yesterday at the close :suicide:

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

MrBigglesworth posted:

As am I. I really didnt think it would go this far, this fast.
Well most people still have a bearish attitude in the market which means Buffet's old advantage of "durable competitive advantage" becomes very attractive. Essentially it's an index fund that doesn't have all the crap in it.

That, and I think everyone got a hard-on when Buffet himself said he really believes the class B shares were undervalued.

In short, I'm saying that I think the run up is due entirely to people wanting to own it. I'm trying to figure out now what direction it's going to go in after this week.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I am curious what the investor types think about a couple specific stocks. I wouldn't be trying to trade these, but start accumulating shares to hold for as long as the company doesn't do anything majorly stupid/highly unusual.

AFAM - This is a small in-home health care provider that gets most of its revenue from Medicare. They have no debt, quite a bit of cash, a P/E of 12 and quite a bit of room to expand. Risks would be medicare changing in some significant way (even if its just payment schedule changes).

NLY - This is a company organized like a REIT that basically borrows money to buy freddy/fannie/ginnie insured mortgages. They then pay out most of their income as a (non qualified) dividend. They have a very low PE which is reflecting the scary amount of perceived risk they have by owning a huge number of personal mortgage loans, even if they are all freddy/fannie loans. They are currently paying a ridiculous dividend, because the risk fears are so high keeping the share price low, and the mortgage spreads have been incredibly high in the last few years.

Risks include interest rates changing (they make money the bigger the spread is between what they can borrow at and what home mortgages are lent at). The biggest risk would be Freddy or Fannie being allowed to default and not meet their obligations, which would quite possibly kill NLY almost immediately. Certainly the share price would plummet if this happened. Also, the tax on the dividend is at a higher rate because it's a REIT.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Any ideas about WEN? Seems like a good stock for a Goon Portfolio!

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Droo posted:

I am curious what the investor types think about a couple specific stocks. I wouldn't be trying to trade these, but start accumulating shares to hold for as long as the company doesn't do anything majorly stupid/highly unusual.

AFAM - This is a small in-home health care provider that gets most of its revenue from Medicare. They have no debt, quite a bit of cash, a P/E of 12 and quite a bit of room to expand. Risks would be medicare changing in some significant way (even if its just payment schedule changes).

NLY - This is a company organized like a REIT that basically borrows money to buy freddy/fannie/ginnie insured mortgages. They then pay out most of their income as a (non qualified) dividend. They have a very low PE which is reflecting the scary amount of perceived risk they have by owning a huge number of personal mortgage loans, even if they are all freddy/fannie loans. They are currently paying a ridiculous dividend, because the risk fears are so high keeping the share price low, and the mortgage spreads have been incredibly high in the last few years.

Risks include interest rates changing (they make money the bigger the spread is between what they can borrow at and what home mortgages are lent at). The biggest risk would be Freddy or Fannie being allowed to default and not meet their obligations, which would quite possibly kill NLY almost immediately. Certainly the share price would plummet if this happened. Also, the tax on the dividend is at a higher rate because it's a REIT.

Well, Annally's P/E ratio is less important that most stocks, since Annaly is basically a portfolio rather than an ongoing business, so its results from one year are not really tied to the results from next year. I wouldn't worry about the federal government withdrawing its guarantee of Fannie and Freddie, at least not any time soon. The company makes its colossal spreads and dividends because interest rates right now are unrealistically low and are destined to go up. When that happens, the dividends will evaporate and the company's earnings might even go negative.

For this reason, I would prefer a company like CMO, which has the same strategy as NLY but invests solely in adjustable rate mortgages. As a result, they are less exposed to interest rate movements, and their dividend is more sustainable, although it will also probably drop when interest rates return to normal.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

destructo posted:

Just for shits.. Watch GGWPQ in the coming week.

are we looking at who wants to buy it or if the judge is going to rape it?

I would bet that the judge would do something in between and go with the 3 months like the Hughes suggested. I would be surprised if anyone wanted to gobble up the entire company. While I doubt GGWPQ would get carved up, I would think it would get funding from china?.

If you jumped on the boat 2,3 week ago one would be :smug:... :\

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

ElehemEare posted:

They couldn't get the financing to build the mine because they're a bunch of exploration geologists who developed a resource to the point that you needed to spend half a billion dollars to see profit. They also completed their studies in April '09: not exactly the best time to go to a bank and ask for US$650 million in debt financing. Mind you, the studies were pretty solid; producing at the (independently) projected costs of US$0.88/lb Cu would turn a profit even when prices bottomed out last year.

I stand by my investment as calculated risk and not a lotto ticket.

Also, for reference: major mining companies rarely make any discoveries. Junior Exploration companies are wildly risky investments until they actually find something, but the lucky ones get to the point that a major is willing to buy them or their property and actually earn some money. And hopefully you retain a royalty, or in some cases a direct interest in the project. Due to the obvious lack of solid cash-flow in the majority of Junior's (since the vast majority of exploration funding will come from equity raisings), the attrition rate is pretty high.

I admit I'm not an expert in mining (or economics), but it seems kind of wasteful that you have to identify a mining property, go into the equity markets, buy it outright, and then do the analysis. If the business is so dependent on talented geologists, would it really be impossible to get the geologists in there before the IPO?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Dr. Jackal posted:

are we looking at who wants to buy it or if the judge is going to rape it?

I would bet that the judge would do something in between and go with the 3 months like the Hughes suggested. I would be surprised if anyone wanted to gobble up the entire company. While I doubt GGWPQ would get carved up, I would think it would get funding from china?.

If you jumped on the boat 2,3 week ago one would be :smug:... :\
GGP today :D, we'll see what happens..

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Today...is a really good day. I'm up 3.4%, and that's saying a lot considering I have 8 holdings and none are doubled up in the same industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Hobologist posted:

I admit I'm not an expert in mining (or economics), but it seems kind of wasteful that you have to identify a mining property, go into the equity markets, buy it outright, and then do the analysis. If the business is so dependent on talented geologists, would it really be impossible to get the geologists in there before the IPO?

As a mining engineer (student), I can vouch for the ungodly number of hoops that have to be jumped through before you can start making any money. There is so much behind the scenes crap that has to be dealt with that a lot of people may not take into consideration. Government permitting not being the easiest of problems to contend with.

Also, very happy with my investment into AMD a few weeks ago. Bought in at $7.50, its $8.65 right now. If only I had more money to throw into the pot (only had $700 tax return). :/

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 6, 2010