Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Going to throw out a book recommendation that isn't in the OP. I've really been liking Confessions Of A Wall Street Analyst by Dan Reingold. Reingold is a retired telecommunications analyst that was ranked #1 by I.I. for a chunk of the 90s. He does a great job in the book of describing the relationship analysts have with the companies they research and the bankers at their firms. It gives you a pretty good glimpse into how Investment Banks work. It also lays out how uneven the playing field is in for individual investors.

Also, I'm interning at a Mutual Fund services company in Boston right now and I got to talk to one of the traders last week who has really been around the block and he strongly recommended anyone interested in investments check out Liar's Poker: Rising Through The Wreckage on Wall Street by Michael Lewis. I grabbed it on Amazon for $10 and look forward to reading it this weekend.

He also recommended Reminiscences of a Stock Operator saying that even though the material is from 70 years ago he still uses the lessons he learned from it everyday at work. It looks like a tough read but would probably be worth the time of someone trying to further their investment knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Oh Suncor, you temptuous bitch.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What do people think of PSUN as a possible buyout candidate? Or even making a turn around on their own. They have virtually no debt and some new management. Their merchandising strategy has always allowed them the freedom to cater to changing tastes but I'm just not sure if people are buying clothes like they used to again.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I was under the impression that the whole Pac Sun/Hot Topic/Aeropostale fad had passed.

That's my point though is that PacSun operates differently than Aeropostale (not sure about Hot Topic) and similar stores. They don't design or make their own clothes they just carry whatever brands are popular that fit in with their style (California lifestyle streetwear or something like that). If you go into an Aeropostale and buy a shirt it's going to say Aeropostale on the tag whereas PacSun has the freedom to pickup brands that are selling well and drop ones that aren't which gives them a little bit of a hedge when it comes to ever-changing tastes in the marketplace.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

f2a posted:

This thread:

*posts statistically insignificant evidence of performance in order to justify what may or may not have been a good decision*

edit: basically I think Fooled by Randomness should be mandatory reading for this forum, and all traders for that matter.

Ordered this off amazon this morning. NNT seems like a real interesting guy, although apparently he rubs some people the wrong way. It'll be the first book of his I've read but I'll probably pick up Black Swan too at some point.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

I dare you to read his Twitter feed and not walk outside and punch the first person you see.

There's no denying he's a brilliant guy but yeah I see your point. I'd prefer to just look at him in the context of his business/scientific/literary work though.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

So who's going all in on NBG with me?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

DancingMachine posted:

1) go long on BP. Probably just buy the stock and hold it for a while. This is probably a really dumb question but is there any reason not to buy the NYSE listed stock (I just wonder because it's not an American company)?

If you're trying to get bargains as a result of the oil spill catastrophe I would take a look at RIG.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I think if you buy BP you're going to be sitting around twiddling your thumbs for a while at best, or just watching the stock drop while the details still come out at worst. It's pretty clear that the general public and media have decided that BP is the villain in this and it's not a secret there was negligence involved. If I was going to take a long position as a result of this I would pick up something tangentially related to the spill (RIG/HAL) or like Christo said and just buy stock in their competitors.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Corn posted:

I have a hypothetical question for those of you in this thread who know what their doing,

Say that a firm such as Goldman Sachs stock went down to $.98 cents a share (which it did sometime in april), and I decided to buy 10,000 of those. Wouldnt that be a gaurenteed profit? Can someone explain this to me, and why wouldn't everyone do something like this? Admittedly, I have little experience in the stock market, I'm still a beginner slowly learning.

No. Let my friend Lehman explain...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I think the support for RIG comes from the amount of business they have on the docket. Their future looks a little more certain than that of BP etc.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Janin posted:

Just bought a bunch of RIG on the dip -- I don't understand why everybody's hating harder on them than on BP, but here's hoping they recover in a few years

I did the same. I'm averaged in at around $48.

To be honest I'm not sure I understand the Goldman downgrade of RIG. The way I understood it was that they believe the U.S. drilling moratorium will be extended from six months to twelve months. I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Even the six month moratorium is getting a lot of backlash from the gulf states seeing as it's a large part of their economy. And Obama knows that:

WSJ posted:

At a meeting at the New Orleans airport, Charlotte Randolph, president of Lafourche Parish, said she implored Mr. Obama for the second time in eight days to immediately lift the deepwater drilling moratorium. Billy Nungesser, president of Plaquemines Parish, suggested to the president he should deploy a federal official on every rig with the authority to shut it down at the first sign of trouble. Then he could lift the moratorium.

When neither of those ideas gained traction, Steve Theriot, president of Jefferson Parish, said he asked the president to lift the moratorium on every oil company but BP. Finally, Sen. David Vitter (R., La.) said the administration needed to immediately issue the new safety regulations that were holding up drilling permits. Mr. Vitter said he made the same appeal to Interior Secretary Ken Salazar three hours after the Obama meeting broke up.

On Monday, the widows of two Deepwater Horizon crewmembers called at a congressional hearing for stepped up safety enforcement in the offshore drilling industry, and voiced their support for continuing to drill offshore. "I fully support offshore drilling and I always will," said Natalie Roshto, of Liberty, Miss., whose husband, Shane, was among 11 people killed in the blast.

I just don't see them extending a moratorium and creating more employment issues for an already bruised and battered part of the country. They've said they aren't going to lift the ban, but now I think we might be in a place where it's announced the ban will stay at 6 months and drilling stocks will rebound.

But then again, I'm a novice and it's very possible Goldman knows something I do not.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I know that was a big part of it, I'm just trying to understand the situation the best I can.

Speaking of which, if you're out of the loop on the details of the whole spill, this article does a pretty good job of outlining things: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704026204575266560930780190.html

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

My CNX pickup on Monday is paying off. Picked up some PSUN today too.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

If you don't think BP was paying that money anyway you're being foolish. It's better for them that they get the "BP TO PUT 20 MIL IN ESCROW FOR GULF RELIEF" headlines now than some page 7 story in 2 years that says "today BP settled in court to pay $xx to such and such".

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Ahhh ok. I was thinking maybe you were the guy with dads life savings to play with. To each his own anyway I guess.

What happened to him? he was hilarious.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Soooo do we get above 1,130 this time?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Dr. Jackal posted:

what could possibly make the market move up 3% on a Friday :D?

Magic 8 ball says "not today"

Oh I didn't mean today.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ToiletLaw posted:

I pretty much just do SSO and SDS for the Roth since its a cash account and takes forever to settle.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but you should only be using leveraged ETFs for intraday movements, not holding them.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Plastic Jesus, are there any resources you could recommend for someone trying to learn about options?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Well, I wanted to close my Adobe position today anyway. That was a nice little treat.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Can anyone recommend me some resources for reviewing news by sector? Like say I wanted to get a feed of news about companies in the services sector.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Good Fed Ex Earnings + Jobless claims unexpectedly down + Overseas purchase of U.S. assets up in July = ...futures down.

e: misread the fed-ex numbers.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 16, 2010

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

S&P 500 @ 1,131. Man your battle stations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Well, that depends who you believe.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I'm out of RIG today at 60ish. I still think it's got a lot of upside but I got in at $44 and I'm just going to take my ball and go home.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Can anyone recommend me some resources for reviewing news by sector? Like say I wanted to get a feed of news about companies in the services sector.

This probably got lost on the last page. Can anyone help a brother out?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

..Nothing to see here, move along.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Even worse, NASDAQ is DKing all trades that took place more than 15% from the NBBO. There are going to be some very angry people somewhere.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

The HFT trades get DK'd also. I'm more concerned with the fact that the SEC has no loving clue what the hell is going on. Their statement about the flash crash was hysterical.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

We are confident that we have ideas, or that we will have some in the future.

Where do they find these people?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Zeroheadge can be pretty outrageous at times, but referring to AMZN, AAPL, NFLX and BIDU as the four horsemen of the tech apocalypse is pretty great.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Could any of the bright minds in here give me an example of what a "income-producing equity interest" might be. Preferred Stock? I'm reading through the 8-K of a Private Equity firm and they have this security listed separately from equity.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Buy 1 share at 78 and sell it at 84. You just made $6.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Picking up some GMCR. gently caress an accounting error.

Also, what the hell is going on with Whirlpool. You cut earnings due a pricing scheme and the stock doesn't bat an eye. gently caress this market.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 30, 2010

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Plastic Jesus posted:

Long SMOD ahead of earnings.

:hfive:

e:gently caress

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 1, 2010

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

What in SMOD's earnings statement would have made the stock drop?

They guided their earnings for Q1 lower by a few cents.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I wish the news/blogs section of Finviz would just screen out all the ridiculous Zerohedge articles.

ZH is the financial Glenn Beck: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/ou...rops+to+zero%29

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Could EQIX be a decent value play now that its had its head chopped off? A 30% drop seems excessive for guiding their Q3 earnings lower by 2% and their full year revenue by .01 billion. Especially when they're reporting that their margins are improving.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

IratelyBlank posted:

I want to make sure I understand something. Lets say you have $20,000 to play with. If a certain share is valued at $4, you can buy 5000 shares. If the share's value goes up by just $.03, that is a $150.00 gain. Not including broker fees which would be less than $10 total for both transactions. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but from what I've seen pretty much everything fluctuates by $.03/day. What is to stop someone from doing this every day and just living off of these minor winnings? Is there a limit to the number of trades per month you can do or something? I realize there is also potential here to lose big so you would want to set a lower threshold as well as an upper threshold to sell, right? Is there anything I am missing?

You're a retail investor. Thus when you buy, you'll be paying the ask price. When you sell, you'll sell for the bid price (which is always lower than the ask). Therefore you're at a loss the second you buy the stock by a small amount depending on how much the stock is traded.

Let's say right now you bought MSFT. The ask right now is 24.49. So for $20,000 you could get 816 shares. If you were to sell them back immediately you would only receive $19,951.20 because the bid price is 24.45.