Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastedZergling
Jun 25, 2007

Chubby Walrus:
The Essence of Roundness
Right now I'm a bit over invested in my company's stock, due to going through 3 ESPP cycles w/o selling any shares. While I'm up a fair deal, I've been researching some other places I can put at least the 1st third.

I was contemplating high-yield dividend stocks, when using google screener I stumbled upon this one: NLY It's Dividend/Yield is a staggering 0.75/17.21. While I understand that if I were to invest in it now, I'd be lucky to get 17% yields, even if it only pushed out 10%, it'd still be better than the high-yield bond vanguard mutual fund I was looking at. Asides from the normal risks associated with being invested in a real estate / the stock market in general, can anyone tell me what caveats I might be overlooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastedZergling
Jun 25, 2007

Chubby Walrus:
The Essence of Roundness

Fuschia tude posted:

Investing a big portion of your assets in any single stock is a really bad idea.

This is why I'm looking to move the money out of my company's stock and into others. I just wanted to avoid short term capital gains on the ESPP stuff, which is why I've held onto it for so long / in such high quantities. I have the rest of my money parked in a few mututal funds.

I think you misunderstood my inquiry, I'm more looking for advice on the stock itself and how it'd stack up compared to investing in bonds. I'm more curious as to why/how this company provides such big dividends? Is there a reason to believe they'll decline greatly? How risky of an investement in this stock be compared to the vanguard high-yield mutual fund I listed? Are there tax differences between stock dividends and bond yields?