Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Hobologist posted:

Where is the love for Ben Graham's Security Analysis? If a shouting chimpanzee like Cramer can get three of his books in the OP, what about the book that started it all?

Edit: Also, http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/webusers.htm lets you search SEC filings, including the all-important 10-K and 10-Q annual and quarterly reports. Without these you're just wandering in the dark in my opinion.

i wish security analysis was available as an e-book because i refuse to carry around a book that big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

willd58 posted:

Can someone explain to me, say I purchase 100 shares of Toyota stock, if I want to sell it in 6 months time, what if there is no one to buy it from me? I am guessing this is not how it works and im an idiot, but who/what is it who then buys it all back when I want to make my profit?

There's usually going to be someone to buy it at some price. The price of the stock is basically the highest price that someone is willing to pay for a stock and the lowest price that someone is willing to take for it. If no one is willing to buy it at all for any price then the effective stock price is $0 and you're hosed.

if you buy Toyota today at $70 or whatever, and it goes up to $100 a year from now, that means that people are willing to pay $100 a share. If people weren't willing to pay $100 a share, then the price of a share wouldn't be $100.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

Thanks for the input. I did not expect to do anything with this money but squander it, being 21 gives me some time to learn too I think.

First stock I ever bought was Apple and its up 350% since then so try picking a winner when you start instead of wasting your money on this poo poo. If you bought it already, sell it and buy something else.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

bleepstreet posted:

Bought apple at various prices, 205, 238, 246, 247. Made the choice to sell at 251 in afterhours trading :( Hope it drops a bit tomorrow so I can get back in.

Get back in anyway, it's gonna keep moving for a while.

Also I got in in the 60s :c00l:

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

It seems like they don't even know how this could have happened, let alone who actually caused it.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Jesus, WTF does this market have against AAPL? Down another 6% today, 14% off its high of $272.
It's a little disappointing but keep in mind future iPad & iPhone sales and don't forget that Apple's going to have strong earnings for the foreseeable future so that price is gonna get up there again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

MrBigglesworth posted:

Holy poo poo NFLX. Hits it out of the park again. Stock was up over $16 before hours, now up $19.03.

This fucker was only ~$40 in February.

Wow. I thought I made a good pick buying Apple in 2006 but Netflix is up about 500% since then compared to Apple's 400%. And most of Netflix's growth has been in the last year or two.