Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Anyone have advice on when to get out on AGTC? Its my first big boy stock purchase where I got some tips, did some research of my own, decided I liked the stock and bought in at $4.90. I was confident it would earn me some money when I bought in last week, but this morning when I woke up and checked RH my jaw just about hit the floor. Its the first time Ive had a stock Ive owned rocket up like this and it kind of caught me flat footed. While I bought in confident that the stock would increase in value I didnt have a firm exit strategy in place for where to sell.

It seems like the median target price is $12, which is absolutely mind boggling to me. I am thinking I will watch and wait to see if it clears that, then set a limit order for $12 and let the chips fall where they may. Of course, if the stock doesnt beat that I will probably sell around $7 and accept that I didnt realize as much profit as I would like. Does this seem reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Im still incredibly new to this, but the recent popularity of meme stocks reminds me of the anecdote about John Kennedy getting out of the markets after a shoe shine boy gave him stock advice. It seems like everybody is getting into the markets for a variety of reason ranging from COVID related boredom to fiscal policy. There has to be a point where money stops pouring in and things go pop and it cant be that much further off.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

ARTPUP posted:

John Mauldin's Thoughts from the Frontline is free and really quite interesting if you're looking for information and insight on the economy and where the market might be heading. (I'll give you a hint - it's not good)

Thanks for this recommendation. I looked him up and checked out his latest piece and it seems pretty well thought out and in depth. I look forward to reading more even if it is a little frightening.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Or he's trying to shore up his defence

Yeah, isnt the dude under investigation for some kind of ethics breach? Hes a broker isnt he?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

lwoodio posted:

From his testimony to the financial services committe-
"My title was Director, Financial Wellness Education. My job was to help develop financial education classes that advisors could present to prospective clients. I never sold securities, and I was not a financial advisor."

Does that actually change anything? Being a licensed professional broker was a requirement for his job. That he was promoting GME on the side while not informing his employer certainly does seem like it could cause him some problems.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

This type of of behavior is so common with goons it even has a name. It's the same thing over and over. As if goons were a fat circle.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

is the name "zaurging?"

Nah, although I guess I worded it poorly. Its really more like a parable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So are ETFs that focus on international markets a decent way to hedge against sell offs due over concerns about the Fed raising interest?

While most of the stocks I follow were dropping like a rock in the AM today I noticed VXUS and VYMI were pretty stable. I need to go back and see if they saw any change during the sell off during the bond interest increase last week, too. My thinking is that we are probably going to see more panic sales over the interest rate over the next year or two, which in turn will provide a pretty good opportunity to buy up some stocks on the cheap if you have cash on hand. I am considering starting to put some money into one of these ETFs or another similar one so itll grow at a decent rate while providing a piggy bank to buy up stocks at Fed sponsored fire sales. Is this a completely bad idea? Im new to this so feedback is really appreciated.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 24, 2021

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I thought most people in the thread were down on cruise stocks. Ive got to say though, I think they may be wrong. I have a few family members that are "cruise people" and see them and their fellow cruisegoers posting on social media constantly about how they cant wait to get back on the boats. There is a very dedicated, hardcore group of people that are constantly going on cruises who are eagerly awaiting the chance to get back on those boats. When the cruises start back up most of them will be immediately booking multiple cruises. They are also popular cheap vacations since they are often times all inclusive or close to it, so for a lot of people they provide a pretty decent 5+ day vacation for about the cost of one stimulus check.

Most of my post-COVID travel bounce money is going into RYCEY but cruises seem look a decent option too.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Rolo posted:

I feel like the GME/Bitcoin era is going to poison personal finance for years to come. I've had a huge influx of friends decide they want to start trading without any research outside of meme poo poo and "it went down it has to go back up." I keep stressing to deaf ears that all the cool kids look at debt and retirement first.

Im still really new to this, but even for me its shocking how many people I encounter on social media who are still holding onto last weeks meme stock hoping it will go back up. I started first reading about investing about a year ago and dont recall seeing anything like this before. Fortunately, most of the people seem capable of losing the money they put in but there has got to be some kind of long term consequence to all this and it cant be good.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Stock bubbles have been a thing for as long as the market has existed. Some people will always be in a rush to be parted from their money.

This is true. I guess what I really find kind of upsetting is how they all seem to hope the stocks they bought in on will have another run and theyll be able to get their money back. So they just sit on the stock waiting and watching and making GBS threads up social media about how they really think theyre going to get their money back. I suppose that has been a thing for as long as markets have existed too. Its like watching a whole new generation of bag holders getting born into the world.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Its just not logical, how can you look at a company like GME and think its a company whose stock is actually worth anywhere near to what it was pumped up to be. Its like they're hoping that another pump will occur which seems quite impossible now that funds have repositioned themselves on GME.

To me the whole GME thing on WallStreetBets seems like a complete con job by guys life DFV who already had huge positions in it to pump them up and gently caress over the rest.

Social media, and WSB in particular became a giant echo chamber screaming about how they were all going to get rich and the stock was going to hit 1,000 etc etc etc. Then when that didnt happen they spun up a bunch of elaborate conspiracy theories about how various institutions had acted to thwart them and it wasnt the fault of the people pumping the stock up at all. For people that follow politics, that particular situation probably sounds remarkably familiar.

Thats how it happens though. And thats how those people get stuck holding the bag. A whole lot of people in America never learned to distruct social media and are starting to pay the price for it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

what the gently caress why is GME over $100 and climbing?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Did they even do that much? I realize they replaced their CFO yesterday, but why the run on GME now of all times?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I was just posting about how I feel bad for the bag holders in these things. Im suddenly feeling a hell of a lot less bad for them.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Whelp, Im gonna do it. Im gonna FOMO and toss a few grand into GME tomorrow if it hasnt burst. That means itll be around $35 on Friday and Ill be telling myself "well, at least now you dont have to worry about what could have been".

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I really want to touch the poop on GME Cause I think it’s gonna explode again on the news of this (my guess is to like 220 or so tomorrow) but I’m too much of a baby to risk that.

It made the news last time and there are so many people that feel they missed out. I think theres going to be a dog pile tomorrow and assuming I still have the nerve Im going to try to be part of it. Im expecting GME to sky rocket more because of massive buying momentum than an actual squeeze. Also, I am very, very dumb.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Whelp, I got into and then out of my SNDL position quick enough to only take a haircut. Now that Ive scratched that particular FOMO itch I suppose its time to get back to the strategy I had put together last week that was actually working pretty ok for me. Unfortunately, that trade got me marked as a pattern day trader by RH. Ive been thinking about switch platforms anyway so I suppose now is the time. It seems like TD Ameriatrade's Think or Swim Platform has a really solid reputation. Are there any other apps I should be considering to help me squander my children's college funds?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

jeeves posted:

It’s pretty crazy obvious that this is what is going on. ESP with all of the propaganda on Reddit hyping people up.

It’s pretty much to the point where all of the main posts about it are as truthful as any sort or QAnon crap, but it just has the promise of free money so they are not taken down.

Every time I see a post about why GME is dropping today the word "they" seems to feature prominently. The poster never actually names a culprit, but instead its always some shadowy unnamed organization. Its a trope so common with conspiracy theorists that Pinky and the Brain even had an episode playing off the topic. It even had HRC make an apperance. Anyway, whenever these theories start to rely heavily on narratives based on "they" or "them" doing things its probably a good sign that its time to ignore them.

Also, here is that awesome Pinky and the Brain episode: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6l2v68

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Is it just me or did the market just start to poo poo the bed?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Weird, I dont recall a chapter on Wall St Numerology in any of the Trading For Dummies books I read.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/BChappatta/status/1365000639202295821?s=20

in case you're wondering why stocks are cratering, it's the bond market

So this is the second red day I've experienced due to the bond market. I have absolutely zero knoweldge of bonds outside of what I learned in highschool finance and occasionally encountered while reading about stocks. Obviously, its a pretty big gap in my knowledge and I need to fix that. Is there any recommended reading/watching on the topic?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

This is my new background music while setting positions in the morning.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So Im considering today to be a bit of a bust. I feel like my positions are solid and dont really want to move much around, but tomorrow seems like it could be a big day. Im thinking money will start to move back into the market after going out today, then to give the day a bit more bang the second stimulus bill is being voted on in the House and almost certainly going to pass. Does anyone have any ideas about where the hype over the stimulus bill will lead to gains? I generally would like to avoid retailer stocker in general, but I think outdoor retailers will see some gains so Ive put money into ASO for a short term buy. Im curious what other areas might be impacted by the stimulus hype though. It seems like it could be a lot.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

iSurrender posted:

If I had more money Id put some into Build-A-Bear. Worst case atleast I get to build a bear right? And then I can use that bear to intimidate people into giving me money.

Here's my TA on BBW: Lookit dat 6 month chart.

Thats.... remarkably good and stable. I am confused by just about everything about this but probably also going to throw some money at it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Which ones in particular seem like a good buy for a first time airline stock purchaser?

Its not directly an airline stock, but Im a big fan of RYCEY. They manufacture jet engines and most of their revenue comes from maintenance contracts. Their stock was hovering at around $1.35 for a while and has started a slow but steady increase to what I hope will be around $3.00 by late summer. Im still super new to trading but I think its one of the strongest stocks Ive picked.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Stock Trading Thread: In Bond Markets No One Can Hear You Scream

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Why do you think Biden would rethink contracting Palantir? He's said he doesn't support defunding the police and that he wants to give more money to cops and intelligence every chance he gets. He isn't Bernie.

Peter Thiel was a massive Trump backer both vocally and financially.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Considering how loudly Thiel was in his support of Trump, Im not so sure if hes smart enough to do that. We shall see though!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Well, this is a thing now. https://www.memebergterminal.com/ Its actually kind of interesting and entertaining. Note the recent popularity of GMED for extra funny.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So is that what this technical analysis thing Ive heard so much about looks like in action?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

It looks like the stimulus bill is being held up in the House over the minimum wage hike. Im curious if that might be part of the current streak of red. If the stimulus is already priced into the current market, what happens if the bill fails or looks like it may fail? If the legislative log jam breaks up this afternoon and it passes Im curious what will happen.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of RH, Im getting read to transfer over to a new broker in the week ahead. Im still super new to trading but it seems like most other brokers offer apps that provide a lot more flexibility and tools, most of which I dont yet understand but would like to have access to so I can start to learn. TD Ameritrade's Thinkorswim platform in particular seems like a good choice here. The only major disadvantage I see aside from potential information overload is TD charges $.65 for options contracts. Is there any other disadvantage to using Thinkorswim over RH I am missing?

Ive also considered Fidelity, which seems very well regarded as well. Its just the Thinkorswim platform in particular seems to be a very good choice for new traders who are willing to take the time to learn the interface.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Nathan Mazri. Thats him alright.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

He’s diversifying to better entergage his target market. His specific hollow type of hyped innovation buzzwords would be perfect for $MOON

Is this real? This cant be real, right? I stopped reading the Garfield Eats thread when Nate got into COVID denial. It looks like things have escalated in a hilarious direction.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

It continues to be a bull market for the Build A Bear Workshop. loving bizarre but taking some shares in it has largely covered my losses from last week.

I cant figure out if BBW's performance is based on it being a well managed business with strong fundamentals, or if people are buying it simply for the amusing stock ticker. Regardless, I plan to purchase some soon.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

It’s funny because my company grew so much that we moved to this whole new beautiful OPEN SPACE office in 2017 so accommodate the growth and we were weeks away from having to buy another floor of the building when covid hit.

Now I’m not sure I’ll ever have to go to the office again. I can deal with working late at night if I get to eat meals with my family instead of driving.

A lot of companies are discussing having a rotating schedule where departments are only in a few days of the week, if at all. Whatever section of commercial real estate handles office space is never going to be the same.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

I made a bet on this, and bought puts on commercial real estate ETFs in March 2020 for expirations a few months out. Didn't work out well for me.

If you're looking to go short on these companies, be careful* - think longer term. Months out may not be enough, it might take a year or more for the true effects to be felt.

* Or just be smarter than me, which isn't difficult.

I am too dumb to strategize out that far but smart enough to know it. Its like the goldlocks zone for dumbness, not dumb enough to be dangerous yet too dumb to start thinking Im smart and getting really stupid. So basically, Im good. For now at least.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Burn Zone posted:

looking like a red day unless you're in weed stocks

Today was a good day to take a break from gambling on penny stocks and move those funds over to pot ETFs. Watching ASRT continue to run after I got out this morning kind of stung but honestly that poo poo is stressful and taking a few days to sit back and passively make some money(hopefully) will be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

One thing Ive found helpful is to avoid thinking along the lines of "I have 100 shares of X that I purchased for $100, but its down .1 pts so Im out $10". Instead think Ive got $90 after that trade, where could I put it that would make me the most money over a set period of time that is determined by my particular strategy." It kind of helps you to avoid chasing after loses when you just take the loss out of the equation and instead focus on where you can make the best and/or safest profit.