Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

i wish security analysis was available as an e-book because i refuse to carry around a book that big

You can buy it for a Kindle, though Amazon doesn't seem to offer it in a usable format like PDF :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
CRAMER :argh:

I invest on Tuesdays to get the Sharebuilder $4 trade special, and he had to go open his big mouth and recommend the stock I was going to buy. It's gone up 7% since his show, when it had a nice dip before :smith:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

dv6speed posted:

If you had spent an extra $3 with Scottrade, you would have gotten it at the price you actually wanted it at. Sharebuilder and their Tuesday discount stuff is bullshit. Don't blame Cramer or anyone else for your bad broker choice, in the name of saving a couple bucks on commission.

I don't see how choosing a broker that charges less is a bad choice; I don't use the fancy features in the expensive brokerages reviewed in the first post, and as a newbie investor the extra subscriptions and fees add up much faster. It's never been a problem before -- this is the first time a stock I've wanted's gone up so fast over a weekend.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

dv6speed posted:

I'll tell you why it's a bad idea.

It's a bad idea becuase you buying stock using an "automatic investing" plan, where you have to place an order by a certain time the previous week to have it execute at an unknown time on Tuesday at an unknown price?

The order is placed by Monday night, and executed Tuesday morning. It's not like I set it up and then go camping on a mountain and hope everything comes out OK.

Here's my situation: originally, my parents used Schwab, and I would invest some of my part-time job income. I got tired of the $20-per-trade or whatever the commission was, and they didn't trust day-trader sites like etrade because of the internet bubble ("they'll take your money and run!"), so we compromised on a site with a real bank backing it but lower commissions.

If there's a brokerage that doesn't charge a subscription, and costs less per trade than $4, I'd be happy to look into it.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Question on Zecco

quote:

I've never had problems with it, but the tools are not that great so I preferred to just rely on tradeking. Their execution time was always fine for me. I've heard that the major problem people have with zecco is the customer service. I was pissed when they upped the free trade balance to $25,000, but the trades are still only $4.50 each.

Does that mean that trades are only free if I'm buying/selling more than $25,000? Or only for less? Googling "free trade balance" gives nothing useful.

The Zecco website says that I get 10 free trades if I trade more than 25 times per month, but I usually just do one or two per month.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Zecco's verbiage is "Net equity balance of of >=$25k". So if your equity balance is @ >= to 25,000 before your order is executed you get the trade free...up to ten.

Oh, awesome! I'll start the change-over process tomorrow.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

Finally I am able to chime into this thread.

Today I put my first foot forward into the stock market after (finally) having a Roth IRA established, and a decent chuck in savings.

I opened my brokerage account and threw my darts at three of the highest rated stocks on Motley Fool just to get my feet wet since I had never bought before. I started with 500 dollars and started buying up some stuff.

200 Shares of KV Pharmaceutical (KVA)
10 Shares of Immersion Corporation (IMMR)

Hopefully these pan out in the next few years to be some good decisions.

IMO, those are absolutely terrible companies. Both have negative earnings (eg, every quarter they lose money), tiny market caps (fluctuate wildly and are unanalyzed), and no dividends (you gain nothing from holding their shares). Unless you've got so much money that you just don't know how to spend it, only buy shares of companies with viable business plans and a history of decent performance.

Since you're a first-time investor, why not stick with something safe which will probably still exist in a year or two? Look into KO, PG, and JNJ -- you won't become a millionaire from them, but it's not like people are going to stop buying Coke or shampoo.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

I have a :downs: newbie question about margins and settlement dates -- this is my first time using a non-Sharebuilder broker, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Zecco has this thing called "buying power", which does not reflect stock sales until after the settlement date (Google suggests this is common in "real" brokers). However, accounts with margin privileges have their buying power updated immediately after the sale is executed.

If I get a margin account, and buy stock immediately after selling something else, is that operating on margin? Will I have to pay interest on it? What's the risk that the sale doesn't "settle" and Zecco comes after me for the full amount?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Argh, bastards.
Qualcomm: Hey guys, earnings and income are up! Cell phone prices are coming down and we're going to see some competition.

Investors: Holy poo poo!!!! Competition?! SELL SELL SELL

*stock tanks 8%*

Riiight. What people fail to realize is more and more people are going to be buying smartphones. Prices coming down is only natural.

I'm bitter, and I kinda thought that the fact there's tough competition is common sense.

Same thing happened to NOK -- profits tripled, stock dropped by 14%. Luckily I sold it Monday to buy more NLY.

T dropped also; nobody cares about any phones which aren't Apple.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Hahaha gently caress, and I'd just bought some stuff this morning. 6 hours and I could have bought it cheap as gently caress :argh:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Beatladdius posted:

I apologize if this isn't the place, but there are an overwhelming amount of books on the list and I don't really know where to start. Anyone suggest which one to begin with?

The Intelligent Investor, by Ben Graham

He also wrote Security Analysis, which is the Bible of investors, but is much much larger.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Does anyone use Wikinvest? It seems really useful, but I'm a little hesitant to hand over my broker login/password.

Change your broker password to something temporary, import data, then change it back. It's easy enough to manage transactions manually, unless you're trading very often.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

zacd posted:

beginning paper trader here...

How long do you typically hold a position? Reading through the thread it seems like some people are buying and holding for years, some for days, weeks, etc.

Is this different for everyone? Do most traders have a variety of set timeframes in mind or is it random? Like, oh hey I'm happy with this profit now?

It depends on the person.

Traders are usually aiming to make money by exploiting behavior of the stock market itself ("technical analysis"). They'll hold stocks for anywhere from a few minutes to a week or so, and exit when they've attained a sufficient profit. The goal of a trader is to eke profits out of temporary fluctuations in the market.

Investors think of stocks as portions of a company, and look at the company's overall financial health and prospects ("fundamentals analysis"). A short-term investment period might be a few months, while long-term is forever. The goal of an investor is to find healthy companies, buy stock, and wait 30 years for them to become healthy *huge* companies.

There's usually some mixing of the two -- for example, traders generally don't pay attention to fundamentally hosed companies, and investors will use technical analysis to avoid buying into a temporary high fluctuation.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Just bought a bunch of RIG on the dip -- I don't understand why everybody's hating harder on them than on BP, but here's hoping they recover in a few years

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Well my resolution to hold onto RIG for a while melted as soon as I logged in to see it had almost entirely erased yesterday's losses. In at 44.67, out at 47.84 -- I'll buy back in when everybody goes back to panicking.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Yeah I think this is the post where I :smug: out

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Baddog posted:

But I guess if they manage to fire sale all the assets to some other company in return for diamond-encrusted golden parachutes, then leave all the shareholders holding the bag containing the shell of whats left of BP, I'm hosed.
This is what'll happen and you know it.

I think there's good money to be made in buying companies tangentially involved in the whole thing, like HAL or RIG. But I wouldn't touch BP itself with a ten-foot stick, especially since this happened in an election year.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Jack posted:

If a single oil spill can destroy a 200 billion company why would you even bother with oil. Nat gas seems like the better idea.
It's not so much the spill itself, but their utterly inappropriate and ineffectual response. If they'd just blown the well up like the Russians have been telling them to do from the start, it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Instead, they've been faffing around with containment domes so they can get more oil out.

Not helping is the BP executives going on TV, downplaying how bad things are, and generally acting like a bunch of cocks. They've been practically begging Congress/Obama to make an example, and wow what do you know that's what's happening.

I can't think of any worse way BP could have handled this.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Bigntasty posted:

I'm speaking from an investment point of view, I'm not mad about them paying because they should, but from an investment standpoint it doesn't speak well for the stock. I'm still holding some of it as its in everyones interest to keep them generating cash tho, like the tobacco companies.
If you're in BP as an "investment", you should have sold your entire position as soon as their well detonated. Even if you think it'll recover in a few years, there's no sense in holding shares while it's setting new minimums weekly.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Bigntasty posted:

A risky one sure, but not an investment? I was certainly not trading based on market indicators, and support levels hoping to dump it as soon as sentiment picked up. I saw a company that was and is currently the most hated company in the world and the market was reflecting that. Sure knowing what I know now, perhaps my purchase may 15th was not as much of a steal as I originally thought, but hindsight is 20/20.

I do think BP will recover in a few years, but perhaps my judgement is poor. I obviously predicted the "negotiations" between BP and the government would go differently.
Just because you think a company will see rising share prices in a few years is no reason to go Slim Pickens and ride it all the way down. A 10% loss early is much better than a 50% loss later, especially since every week you wait to buy it means you can get more shares for the money.

Bigntasty posted:

And I think your definition of investment is off not mine. I don't care if BP sets new lows as long as I believe it is attractively valued I will continue to average in within my risk tolerance.

Just because something is uncertain doesn't mean it is not an investment.
If you don't even know whether you'll get your principle back, it's not investment, it's gambling.

Bigntasty posted:

Also since you all have such great insight. Can you give me a good reason not to invest in RIG cause in all likelihood (90%) they will not be liable at all and its selling for half price. Obviously it is risky but it seems to be a good investment. And yes I call it an investment cause I don't plan on selling it until its appropriately valued, and its yielding 7% this year
I like RIG, and buy it occasionally on particularly down days. RIG's a much, much better choice than BP if you're trying to capitalize on the well disaster.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

i am not zach posted:

Is this not the case with any investment in the stock market?
Short of world-ending catastrophe, there's not much which can touch most investment-grade stocks on a long-term basis. It's not like people are going to stop buying coke, or shopping at walmart.

In contrast, buying into a flaky company with a history of poor management and environmental disaster while it's being forced to suspend dividends and discuss bankruptcy is not "investment" unless you also consider playing slot machines to be investment.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

JiUC posted:

I've been reading up on technical analysis to the point that I think i have a solid fundamental understanding, and I want to start day/short-swing trading. I've set aside $1000 and opened up a stocks/margins account with Questrade (I'm in Canada, and they seemed to have low commissions compared to the major competitors). Does anyone have any advice on which of their platforms I should use, or if/how I should use a different platform altogether?
I'll likely be trading in the pennies, because I'm more interested in making/losing a large percentage of the $1000 in a few weeks than making/losing a small percentage over several months. Any advice is appreciated.
I hope this post is a troll. If not:

You're going to lose all your money. Day-trading penny stocks with $1000 is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Even folks with millions of dollars struggle to make a living on day trading. You're going to lose your money in a few days, and realize just how stupid this idea is.

Sign up for a virtual stock account. Investopedia has one: click here. You'll start with $100k. Once you lose it all on penny stocks, you'll realize why dropping actual cash with no experience or bankroll is stupid.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

JiUC posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much the plan. I don't have the equipment, L2 knowledge or desire to get into the really short term stuff. I'm planning on using resistance/support brackets, EMAs, RSIs and candlesticks quite a bit.

Please keep a spreadsheet of your account balance over time, and after you run out, post a graph. This thread could use some comedy.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Anybody have thoughts on the current rally? I don't think it's going much higher, but am interested in more experienced opinions. Specifically, I'm thinking about exiting my NLY position -- it's looking awfully peak-y to my untrained eye.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

1080 should provide resistance, at least short-term. Doesn't mean that we don't coast higher through the summer doldrums. If you're sketched on your current position then take profits; you'll make bad decisions if it dives and all you can think is "I KNEW IT!" If it keeps going higher, c'est la vie, you still made money. Depending on your position size you can also just take off a portion or write calls against it.

I'm gonna kiss you

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Hope you got out in time!
see

Janin posted:

I'm gonna kiss you

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Nah I sold it off yesterday due to his post, logged in this morning to see the news :laffo:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

what the hell just happened to BP/RIG?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

skindepth posted:

If anyones looking for serious Long term profits, all be it with some volatility, check out the European banks. LYG (brit) and AIB (irish) are my two favorites. AIB especially. They're both way down where our banks were at the bottom of the recession in the states, so I would prophecy that in about 1-2 years they'll be at around 5-10 times current levels.
Seriously? AIB is haemorrhaging money, and the only reason LYG isn't is because it's selling off anything that isn't nailed down.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

ifuckedjesus posted:

What do you guys think of RIG? They are getting some bad publicity with the BP disaster but pay a decent dividend and are roughly 1/2 price of where they were a few months ago.
RIG doesn't have a dividend, and there's many many companies which are 1/2 price what they were a few months ago (usually because they're collapsing).

That said, I do own some RIG and think it'll see a nice recovery over the next few years.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

5436 posted:

Not sure if its the right thread, can someone throw me an invite to zecco? I think they do a $75 referral.
Sure: http://zecco.popularmedia.net/click/share/19fc796d09a33d880cb7a08a4f854ac3

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Tuff Ghost posted:

Just bought 1000 shares of C. A friend of mine along with some of my personal research says its undervalues. Yeah, its volatile, but I'm feeling lucky.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Shachi posted:

Am I pipedreaming? I mean I figured it'd be pretty easy to turn :20bux: into $30 mil in a year or so right guys :suicide:

Nah in all seriousness...halp.
Yeah, you're pipedreaming. Sorry.

First, if you're only making 33k a year, you've not got anywhere near enough to trade; you want to have something like a $40-50k bankrole to avoid being ruined by commissions. Brokers generally charge per trade, not per share (except for huge trades); paying $5 to trade $5000 of stock is reasonable, but not to trade $50.

Chances are that an hour spent clipping coupons or learning to cook cheaper food will earn you much more than an hour spent staring at stock charts or reading trading-for-dummies books. Pay off your loans, scrape together $2-3k for an emergency fund, and then start stuffing money away for a rainy day (read the investment thread). Trying to trade with what you've got now will just be a really, really expensive hobby.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Joink posted:

I am not much of an expert on the stock market but even I know this is the worst information ive read all day wtf. You do not need 50k to start anything unless you want to play the stock market like a casino.
Well, lets say he's got $1k, wants to put at most 10% of his portfolio into any particular position, and his broker charges $5 commission. That means each trade loses an instant 2% to the broker; he'd have to be picking well just to break even.

Lets say he's not trading very much; only 1-2 trades per week. This means he's spending roughly $30 per month on commission alone; he'd need to pull in 3% per month just to break even. Now maybe I'm just not skillful at trading, but that seems like an awfully high percentage when the market itself averages something like 8% per year.

(e: feel free to check my math, haven't had coffee yet)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 20, 2010

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Baddog posted:

He's fine with 5k if he just puts it all in QQQQ and forgets about it for 10 years or something.
hence my advice that he invest it rather than trade it

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

ayekappy posted:

And I was under the impression that SDDs and other flash type memory are quickly expanding, while massively huge plate-based HDDs are quickly going the way of the dinosaur.
Not really.

SDDs are much faster and consume less energy, so they're popular in high-end laptops and gaming systems. But they're also very expensive and very small; an 80GiB SDD costs $200, while a 1500GB HDD costs $80.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

The markets have been rigged for over a year probably, I don't know why anyone would keep a sizable amount of money in them.
Thank you for your insightful and reasonable contribution to this thread.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Any thoughts on Aqua America? I bought a small position in April at $22, and then in June and July it went nuts and shot up by 20% (currently at $26.60). I can't figure out why this happened, to me it looks just like any other water utility.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Who are the companies behind near field communication? Could the same trend follow as this technology is added to more phones a few years down the road?
NXP and Sony. I strongly doubt that selling a few million chips worth $0.xx is going to have a big impact on NXP's bottom line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Pudgygiant posted:

Can the seller exercise a put? IE if I buy a 9 put for F and it drops to 8.99, can I exercise and buy the shares for effectively 8.79? Or do I just have to wait it out until the expiration date?
The owner of an option can exercise whenever they want. Usually, they only exercise at the end, because exercising early surrenders the time premium.

I don't understand your example at all. The seller of an option does not have the ability to exercise it. That's what the buyer paid for.

If you pay $20 for a put with a strike price of 9, and you exercise it, then you've effectively bought 100 shares at a price of 9.20 per share.

e:

Pudgygiant posted:

Ok, I think it makes sense now. Potentially whoever bought the put could choose not to exercise it if it's not below (strike price)-(premium), and then I owe them the difference between the strike price and the share price. Or they could choose to exercise it, in which case I owe them the strike price * 100. Is that right?
When you sell a put, you don't owe any money. You might have to give the buyer stock, if they exercise.

Once someone's bought an option, the premium is not refundable. They won't get that money back, regardless of whether the option is exercised or not. Therefore, they will exercise it if the price is below the strike price, even if the overall transaction loses money due to a too-high premium paid.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 31, 2012