Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I've been reading a lot on technical analysis but trying to find these chart patterns makes me :confused:
Can you point me to some good fundamental analysis reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I bought 950 shares of C before todays jump. Thats most of my portfolio (1 of 2 open positions) and I have no buying power left. I've run into extreme sellers remorse this past quarter and now I'm afraid to sell. At the same time I know securing profits is always a good thing and I need the cash to get in on other stocks. Bottom line: I'm still a newb and I would appreciate the thread's advice on recommended strategy here (should I leave only the profits on the table sooner rather than later?) and general help on when to sell/the correct mindset to have/etc.

Thanks

Of course this is assuming I actually have a profit at the end of the day...

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
What do you all think of VZ, Reading over its SEC filings, I think its a big time buy now.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

What makes it stand out? You still have no confirmation of an iphone and the carriers are fighting at price level on plans now.

What about as a value play?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I liked the feedback I got on VZ, how about INTC? What's the deal with it pulling back after reporting "blockbuster earnings"?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Mulletstation posted:

bought SOLF at 5.01

*fist pump*

Just cashed out of SOLF myself. I'm still riding the LDKizzle though.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
What's the thread's take on Samsung potentially glutting the chip market and its effect on INTC?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Where do you get news from? I'm not sure if the function on optionshouse is any good.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Is Europe really messing up Chinese solar this much? LDK anyone? I heard they made a killing this quarter

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
anyone see the LDK upgrade? I dumped my shares yesterday; :-( itching to get back in but I'm afraid the Euro storm isn't over for chinese solar, any opinions?

Also, what do you all think of Altria (MO)? any more upside beyond the 24 mark?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
So I made a ton during the uber-bull using margin shamelessly and of course lost all those gains this month. Is there a "correct" way to use margin? Some kind of bankroll strategy perhaps?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Assuming energy is a buy now, what's the thread's opinion on energy company's v. drillers. I'm looking specifically at XOM v. SLB...

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Been reading Ben Graham's book. How applicable is that general portfolio policy between stocks and bonds to today's market? Are there better alternatives to bonds? I ask because I thought the bond market is crowded now or does it not make a difference?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

euro weakness where the assumption of global demand ( Deutchland & China ) would be falling and hence would poo poo on earning for the foreseeable future. I think it was also overbought and crashed with the rest of the overbought market.

I remember someone mentioning that the market has been overbought since February and that the pace of the stock market's recover didn't make any economic sense or something or something.

Stick with SOLF, they actually managed to make more money on their euro hedging.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
WDC or STX?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I asked because I thought STX is a better value play. But I wanted to know who has better earnings prospects.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Unless you are an institutional investor who can put yourself at the very front of the line, the shares you buy are likely to be highly overpriced. Assuming your baseless prediction that Tesla WILL succeed at some point in the future, its going to take quite a while for the fundamentals to justify the price you bought it at. Thats gambling not investing.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I pulled the trigger on shorting TSLA at 25 but then I was told to call the trading desk because of liquidity issues. It was too late by then...

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Well Goldman cut the price target on F. So much for the earlier speculation and so much for buying under 10 and flipping it, we'll see where it goes now.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Is Agricultural Bank of China an exception to the IPO rule?

If so, any way to play it? an ETF perhaps?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

greasyhands posted:

Stop trying to trade stocks in $4-500 lots. Are you burning through free trades from opening your account at least?

I would just cut your losses on ESLR. Its awfully run. As an example they lost millions in their failed Germany operation. Before the Euro crisis if you were a solar company and you failed in Germany, you failed as a solar company.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I wanted to save my smug trade post for a good one:

Shorted NFLX at 119 :smug:

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Corbet posted:

I'd imagine watching someone actually do it and be successful is the best way to learn how to day trade, but I wanna be prepared by reading as many books as I can. I'd love for this to be my career when I graduate from school.

I don't day trade per se but the best experience is real experience. When it comes down to it books won't help you, watch the price action on your favorite stock. But honestly, don't day trade unless you want to blow 25g's... do you have 25 g's to blow? Why do you think you want to do this as a career? Just watch the ticker and intra day charts for days on end, its mind numbing at best, and when you have dough riding on it, it can make you lose your mind. Do watch your gf's relatives for a few days, I think you will quickly realize that it takes a really specific mindset and its a mindset you won't necessarily want to have.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

S&P 500 @ 1,131. Man your battle stations.

what is the play?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
what's going on with AMD? All I see is that they slashed guidance...

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

Nothing, the slashed guidance was already priced in. Semis are just rebounding after being hammered so hard in august.

what do you think of shorting? I did research on INTC a ways back and I vaguely remember coming to the conclusion that AMD doesn't have an edge.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
newb question: I'm doing the trial for ActionsAlertPlus. What I really like about the service is the analysis Cramer puts together for the companies he's buying. I am wondering if there is something comparable to that but offered at a cheaper price. I feel like I'm paying a premium to know exactly when Cramer buys and I think I can do away with those notifications. I guess I'm just looking for a service that has great condensed research of a company's fundamentals.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

The Good posted:

Anyone here have any experience with OptionsHouse? 2.95 stock trades is the lowest I've seen.

I don't have a complaint about their customer service, trade desk, etc., but their applications and research tools are very subpar.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
anyone follow NG? I liked the technicals a couple of weeks ago but now not so much. whats up with it?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm looking to play copper, does anyone know of any good ones besides VALE? which ETFs?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Two questions:

How much does it cost a firm to sponsor your Series 7? I have an internship this summer and am thinking of asking if they can sponsor me as part of my compensation.

Also,

I'm really interested in the mathematics behind trading, but I don't know where to start in order to learn it on my own time. I'm no longer in college so I can't take classes in it. Suggestions? books?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
anyone else think LDK having a PE of 10 an insult?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
what do you think of a long Copper/Gold short Silver hedge?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
pretty stoked about LDK today, sold half of my position

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Re: NFLX

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_N/threadview?m=tm&bn=22401&tid=297422&mid=297422&tof=-1&rt=2&frt=2&off=1

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

ikillhostages posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this but how does V beat earning estimates and the stock barely moves?

market didn't find it surprising?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm phasing over to cash. Made good money so far this year.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
the only thing keeping me in the green today is my... NFLX short

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm having a hard time believing the market is down because of China export numbers. I thought the story with China was the consumption happening within, export numbers seem to be missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
anyone following NFLX understand how they arrived at the average monthly revenue / paid subscriber ratio? How come their quarterly revenue line is always more than the above number * 3 * paid subscribers?

Also, I have them at Q1 EPS of .93, a 14 cent miss from the average estimate.