Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Free Gucci Mane posted:

I'm searching for a good stable large-cap dividend stock to invest in for the long-term, any suggestions? The ones I'm kinda leaning towards at this point are PM, MMM, and PG.
Why not split between MMM and PG? Then you have industrial exposure as well as consumer exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

What do people think of PSUN as a possible buyout candidate? Or even making a turn around on their own. They have virtually no debt and some new management. Their merchandising strategy has always allowed them the freedom to cater to changing tastes but I'm just not sure if people are buying clothes like they used to again.
I was under the impression that the whole Pac Sun/Hot Topic/Aeropostale fad had passed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bought some COST and RIG this morning. I'll be back in a week or so to claim victory/defeat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Today...is a really good day. I'm up 3.4%, and that's saying a lot considering I have 8 holdings and none are doubled up in the same industry.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hey guys, who owns IMAX? :smug:

Eh, I was up .8% on a flat day so I'm not complaining.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is better than being all in and up 1.75% on a day when the S&P is currently only up 0.5%? Nothing. There's nothing better :smug:.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Profits have been too easy this past week. And it's not like I've got spec plays either: AAPL, CELG, FSLR, IMAX, MOS, RIG, and BGU and FAS for good measure.

I'm scared :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Free Gucci Mane posted:

Is this guy like a genius or what? http://simulator.investopedia.com/Ranking/ViewPortfolio.aspx?UserID=1694793&GameID=109736 I just don't understand how he's been able to get such amazing gains.
He's trading options on large cap, high beta names. It's not that hard to do well when you've got no real money on the line.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 10, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm looking for a website and it seems like there should be hundreds, but I can't seem to find even one. All I want to do is plug in all the stocks I own and how much of them I have, and see a historical graph of their combined value, perhaps something similar to this, showing a total and breaking it out by each individual value in that total.

TD Ameritrade doesn't appear to do it, and I can't find any websites that do after searching for around 10 minutes. Does this really not exist, or do I just suck at searching?
I know TD Ameritrade's StrategyDesk allows for backtesting portfolios, though I never bothered to learn how to use it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I hear the sentiment is long. (like 2011 long).

I would assume that it's a little bloated because of the news. I only jumped in to have it offset my questionable decision to buy CIM.
Everyone is saying S&P 1250. I sold out of some positions yesterday as a precaution but dove back in, leveraged out the rear end. FAS ftw :cool:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I would love to see this so Cramer stops crying about Double Dipping. On the other hand I would have to believe if S&P were to hit 1250, the fed would be move the rates a little bit. There is also doubts on the fed moving the rates also since lending&real estate is (still) poo poo right now.
The problem is that while the stock market has recovered quite a bit, the economy is still dragging, though the stock market is supposed to lead the economy by 6-9 months so that makes sense. They always say that The Great Depression was prolonged because the government withdrew their support too quickly, so I aside from a small hike here or there, I wouldn't expect much tightening until we see employment tick positive for 3 consecutive months.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Days like today when I'm up 3x the S&P makes me wonder why I'm still 25% in cash.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

Honestly the vix is too low. Buying puts is really really smart imo. I'll probably buy some puts tomorrow.
For those of you who don't want to deal with options, there's the VXX ETN offered by iShares, though AFAIK there's no short counterpart. At this point though, the VIX can't get much lower.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

That VXX is a perfect candidate to setup a trailing buy order. God I wish I had some cash, I have missed so much in just the last few months. Intel, AMD, GE (finally) TSU, HGSI (owned at 17, sold at 21, shoulda kept.) and a few others.
Speaking of which, a trailing buy on FAS is what saved my rear end from missing out on 10% since Monday afternoon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hobologist posted:

You're all very quiet today. You must all own the same miserable crap I do.

Ugh, what a day.
I got stopped out of FAS yesterday after a tidy 12% in 3 days. Saving my rear end like nobody's business. I'm down 0.5% today so I could not care less.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I swear QCOM likes to screw with investors by lowering their own forecasts and then come back a month or two later and go "lol joking guys"

I'd not doubt it would go back up to 45 by the years end, and be pushing to 50 if SnapDragon really kicks off (and I hope to god it does because it's an awesome processor).

They really should sell off FloTV though, that thing has been a money drain for years.
Do you really see a market for FloTV? I don't really know anyone who would seriously want one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tehschulman posted:

What do you dudes think of offshore drilling companies now that Obama's announced that some new territories will be available for oil and natural gas drilling? I should probably speculate about certain energy companies too, but some companies like HOS, SII, and CGV especially look appealing to me.

From the looks of it these new drilling sites won't be available until 2015 or something but was curious since the energy sector is usually a big earner.
All I know is that RIG and DO are up nicely since Tuesday.

Speaking of which, on March 1:

Josh Lyman posted:

Bought some RIG and FSLR this morning. I'll be back in a week or so to claim victory/defeat.
Since then, they are up 11.2% and 14.7% respectively, while the S&P is up 6.7%. :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rankmiasma posted:

Looking to invest in fiber optics companies. Anyone have any promising prospects?
GLW is pretty much where it is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I never in a million years thought I'd be saying this, but... drat I wish I had some PALM.

(I hope HTC buys them for their patents so they can give Apple a big 'gently caress you')
You could have easily bought it around the open at 5.60 and you'd be up 9% right now.

I thought about doing the trade today but forgot about it. :sigh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

There is a lot of information for me to read still but I am trying to absorb as much as I can. I am looking for solid growth stocks. I would prefer small cap companies that are sturdy (as possible). However I am not sure where to begin.
The quintessential growth stock is Apple, but since you're looking for growth stocks, The Buckle seems to be growing in popularity and only has 370 stores in 39 states so far. It's probably good for another year or solid growth before we see some deceleration.

edit: BKE apparently has a $1.7b market cap so nevermind.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ayekappy posted:

I bought a $50 lottery ticket and bought some May $1.00 ABK PUTS
I'm going to assume you meant $2.00 ABK puts since they're trading at 43 cents.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ayekappy posted:

No, they were the $1.00 MAY ABK PUTS that I bought at .05 a piece when ABK was around $3.15-$3.20 or so.
You bought 10 contracts? That only makes sense if you think it's going to $0.00 before May.

vvv Touche :golfclap:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 13, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Foma posted:

INTC is solid. Prediction, AMD will lose 5 cents a share in a couple days and people will be happy. How AMD still has supporters around here is beyond me.
Still riding on goodwill from the Athlon through Athlon 64 days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dead Pressed posted:

Sigh.

I sold out of Citi yesterday at 4.60, putting me at 12% over my original investment. Since then? Price is up to 4.77

:smith:
Why would sell a financial ahead of JPM's earnings this morning? Hell, half my portfolio is FAS.

edti: vvv He regrets selling a high beta financial and losing out on gains. I'm telling him why the gains occurred and why he should have seen it coming so he's better prepared the next time he faces such a decision. Furthermore, I'm disclosing a position which may have biased my opinion. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my post.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 14, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

greasyhands posted:

The argument that for one person to make money in the market another person has to lose money in the same market is demonstrably false.
This is correct. The phrase should be that every trade has a counterparty, but as you don't know the entry or exit conditions of your counterparty's trade, you can't make assumptions about their profit/loss.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since I bought them on March 1, RIG is up 10% and FSLR is up 30%. However, my position in RIG is twice as large as in FSLR and the S&P is up 9.7% in that period. Hooray for a beta of 1? :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 15, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The market has decided that the SEC announcement on Friday was much ado about nothing, and after GS's earnings tomorrow morning, I suspect the news will move to page 2.

That said, I don't have a financials position going into tomorrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I thought NFLX, why would it skyrocket repeatedly again thought I at 60..
I was so pissed when I forgot to buy them ahead of earnings last quarter. I told my friend who only has a few thousand in this Roth to remind me not to forget is time. He didn't remind me but I didn't forget either ;).

Also bought some FITB ahead of earnings today because I wanted to play a regional bank. Can't win them all :sigh:

Have some F ahead of earnings on Tuesday, as well as BIDU and BRCM. We'll see whether I'm rejoicing or crying by Tuesday night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

What's the motivation to be long stock in BIDU as an earnings play rather than short puts or long calls? I don't know what kind of roll you're playing with but it seems like an expensive directional bet and am curious how you're playing it. If you've got 7+ figures feel free to tell me suck it.
I never got around to getting options authorization on my account. :smith: Working on fixing that now though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PsychoAndy posted:

Also I decided to put on Constant Nonsense and Bull Crap and they still have the stupid 9 talking head box system. Then Tyler Mathisen asked Kevin Cook, some fx guy, how to make money off the Greek crisis, and he starts talking about actual ways to make money like getting into short euro futures or short EURUSD and the CNBC heads start cutting him off.

I'm not surprised, but it's just another reason why I hate a channel with amateur not-really-an-economist Steve Liesman or beaker lookalike Dennis Kneale.
I am bothered that someone who wasn't formally trained as an economist is their senior economics reporter, but Power Lunch is terrible and you really shouldn't watch outside of Squawk and Fast Money.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 23, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Needleman posted:

I see a lot of people talking about Apple and Toyota stocks. As someone just starting in the game why does it make sense to go with a small amount of these $100+ shares versus banking in smaller shares? For example, shares trading at a dollar or less and selling 12 months later when/if they profit.
In addition to Cheesemaster's response, percentage return is what matters. If you buy $10k of a $250 stock or $10k or a 25 cent stock, a 10% gain is $1k in either case. While the 25 cent stock has a better chance of having a random 10% pop, it also has a high chance of a 50% drop.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ayekappy posted:

Greece got downgraded again and Portugal just got its first downgrade, like dominoes?
It's amazing how much credit were giving the same ratings agencies that rated poo poo MBSes as AAA.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Foma posted:

I see that flipped. AAPL needs Steve, Buffett could get lost for a decade and BRK/a/b would be fine. though when he goes it will drop, the value will just stay. Not as much with Apple.
I think the episode last year when Steve took a leave of absence for health reasons is proof that Apple can survive without him.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hobologist posted:

I'm surprised that Goldman Sachs wasn't taking a more strident tone, with or without the financial reform package coming up in Congress. If I'm walking to the dumpster with a bag of garbage, and someone comes up and offers to buy my garbage for $500, of course I'm going to sell it to him. And then I'm going to start looking for more bags.
I don't think they understand the concept of markets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

where's the guy who bought FSLR at 126?
You might be thinking of me:

Josh Lyman posted:

Since I bought them on March 1, RIG is up 10% and FSLR is up 30%. However, my position in RIG is twice as large as in FSLR and the S&P is up 9.7% in that period. Hooray for a beta of 1? :v:
I got FSLR at 105 and RIG at 80. Net/net = profit!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is thinkorswim generally considered the best options broker? I don't need anything fancy. Just a couple speculative OTM calls and puts here and there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravarek posted:

Cramer is an unimaginative perma-bull, just like almost everybody else on CNBC.
Clearly you don't watch Fast Money :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Even if you got a fill (you wouldn't have) NASDAQ is canceling the "errant" trades.
Only if it's >60% from the last price, which means you could have made a 250% return in 10 minutes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dow futures up 400, NQ up 85, S&P up 50. Who's ready for the today's craziness? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Edit: This is a fantastic graphic.
Our debt is $12.3 trillion, 86% of our GDP. Europe is a drop in the bucket.