Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Vanan posted:

Is there anything out there like a "fantasy" trading simulator? I'd like to see if I can make good picks without actually risking money.

simulator.investopedia.com is great, you get $100,000 fake money and can trade/short stocks and options.

There's probably an obvious answer here, but can someone explain to me why all the mining/precious metal company stocks jumped so high today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Is short-selling really that much harder than just normal trading? Like take for example CDE, a mining company, that was up near 20 a month ago and has plunged steadily since. Would I be able to short-sell CDE shares while it was plunging--would my brokerage be able to loan shares or whatever to me and would people actually be willing to buy those shares?

I've gotten some really nice returns on shorting stocks on investopedia's simulator but I'm just wondering if that's actually possible in the real market, it just seems too easy to find a plunging stock.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Yeah eBay is actually the cheapest place to buy (and sell) bullion unless you're buying very large quantities. Sometimes, if you're really lucky, you're even able to snag some coins for below bullion value.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ElehemEare posted:

Interested to know if you did this. CDE down 8.57% today.

No I'm afraid I don't have a margin account with my actual broker right now so I'm just limited to imagining the money I could have earned :( I'm surprised it's still dropping though, thought that it would've recovered a bit by now.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I'm searching for a good stable large-cap dividend stock to invest in for the long-term, any suggestions? The ones I'm kinda leaning towards at this point are PM, MMM, and PG.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Is this guy like a genius or what? http://simulator.investopedia.com/Ranking/ViewPortfolio.aspx?UserID=1694793&GameID=109736 I just don't understand how he's been able to get such amazing gains.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Josh Lyman posted:

He's trading options on large cap, high beta names. It's not that hard to do well when you've got no real money on the line.

You mean it's easy just in terms of being able to make riskier decisions? What exactly prevents someone from replicating that in real life?

edit--wtf he's up 2 million since I posted it originally.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Bought into VXX @24 this morning, strongly considering buying more.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Free Gucci Mane posted:

Bought into VXX @24 this morning, strongly considering buying more.

Trying to sell this tomorrow morning--could have done better if I hadn't panicked and sold before rebuying but still made my first couple hundred on the market so I'm pretty happy :)

(that's assuming I don't get hosed by early-hours trading)

Free Gucci Mane fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 21, 2010

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone know of a good online guide for reading/interpreting the financials of a stock?

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Last quarter, someone asked to be reminded to buy NFLX before earnings. So here I am, reminding you to buy NFLX before earnings.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I just got turned down for a margin account at Tradeking because I don't have a record of full-time employment (I'm in college, working only during the summer). Is that pretty much par for the course for online brokers? The frustrating thing is that I don't even want to borrow on margin, all I want to do is shortsell and get rid of that annoying 3-day unsettled funds restriction.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Grumpicat posted:

2k requirement at OptionsHouse, I think.

Dr. Jackal posted:

Schwab's margin requirement is 5k?

You must have a low balance to not qualify for margin.

So other brokers base it on balance, not employment? That's strange, I guess I'll email customer service again to see if they misled me.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Can someone explain to me why NFLX is still rising so much on no news? I bought in before earnings and it's like I've been riding a rollercoaster.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Cheesemaster200 posted:

BoJ has got to be making GBS threads their pants right now....

So if the BoJ decides to act and starts buying dollars, what does that mean for U.S. markets?

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
What websites do you guys get your company news info from? I've just been using yahoo finance, but it seems to miss a fair amount of stuff.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
My economic statistics class has been having an Investopedia stock simulator competition this semester. Back at the beginning of the semester I put as much of my money as I could into bearish triple-leveraged ETFs and promptly forgot about it until just recently, when I was alerted by Investopedia that they were liquidating my portfolio due to margin call.

So...I've got $180k left with a month to go in the competition and I'm about $130k behind first place. I'm looking for the riskiest possible option plays out there. I either want to place first or lose all of my money. Do you guys have any gambling ideas?

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

mindphlux posted:

you could do my stock URRE either way. I'm honestly split myself. I would bet you serious money that it (it's at like 2.43) goes to hit about 1.5 sometime within the next month or so, or hits like 3.5-4. it's done like crazy 100% gains in the last week or two, which is really not normal, and after the crazy poo poo dies down it'll settle somewhere (higher or lower, gently caress knows)

:aaaaa: Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, the competition ended earlier than I thought it would so I still finished 50k behind the winner. Now if only I had bought 40,000 real shares...

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
50 Cent tells his twitter followers to buy penny stock he has a 12% stake in, makes $10 million

"50 Cent, aka Curtis Jackson, added that the 'stock went from 5cent to 10 in one day. You can double your money right now. Just get what you can afford.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I'm sure people have already talked about it in this thread, but how much of an effect is the WikiLeaks leak likely to have on the banking industry? Is now a good time to get out of financial stocks, or will the markets not be too shocked by the fact that some big companies are not 100% ethical?