Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey, does anyone use Oanda's order and position data?
http://fxlabs.oanda.com/cgi/fxlabs.pl?n=fxopenpositionshistory
http://fxlabs.oanda.com/cgi/fxlabs.pl?n=fxopenordershistory

Seems like this might be informative, but I'm not sure how.

Edit: Whoops, meant to put this in the forex thread, sorry:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2853661

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

I've been trading nothing but individual stocks on my Roth for the past 5 years. With the excpetion of a few thousand i've got in a SPY ETF. I've had nothing but good returns. Mostly big industrial stocks.

By the strangest coincidence, the market as a whole and the industrial sector specifically have been growing steadily for the past 5 years! Yes, you were just lucky. You should maybe consider whether the long term benefits of a diversified portfolio are important to you.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The internal rate of return might be what you're looking for, if you want some kind of average return for your portfolio. There's an excel function (XIRR).

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I guess I don't know what you're after. Maybe you just have to track basis, price, and dividends on a per-lot basis.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's still not clear to me what you're trying to calculate, but it's definite that you can't account for the transaction dates without accounting for the transaction dates.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I was trying to find something like this today and came up short. It's crazy how there seems like no way to take your portfolio, containing buys and sells and dividends and dividend reinvestments all on varying dates, and show some graphs with your performance. You'd think this would be a standard broker feature, but...

I feel like if every time people logged in, they saw a high quality estimate of how they were doing compared to a couple of simple non-trading portfolios, brokers might lose business :v:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Voltage posted:

I have a general understanding but I'm doing this to learn more - I'm not going to dump a crazy ton of money in to this to start, just $1-2,000.

From what I understand I need to have a nice blend of stocks, funds, and bonds.

Doesn't sound like you know what you want or what you're doing yet! Do some more reading maybe :) If you want to learn about buying stocks, buy stocks and have fun chatz with the gambling trading crew here. If you want to learn about mutual funds, equity/bond ratio, and general portfolio maintenance, pop over to the long-term investing thread.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Might wanna check out their 2011 performance :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If we want to evaluate their picking skill, a meaningful baseline for comparison is not the S&P 500, but rather a random selection of 10 stocks from the market. I'm not seeing any evidence that they did better than that in any year :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

Why is 10 random stocks a better baseline than the S&P 500?

It's a good baseline to use to decide whether they have any picking skill. 10 random stocks matches the performance of the market by definition, but with higher volatility. Based on these four years of history, there's every reason to think that following their picks would yield the market return on average, but with higher volatility. Basically what cowofwar said.

District Selectman posted:

Probably the best and most interesting comparison would be to use the S&P as a baseline, but also make 9 "competing experts" that are actually just 10 random stocks in the Russell 3000.

That is the perfect experiment, but you need more than 9. If you ran this for previous years I bet you'd find their results weren't too far from the middle of the pack of random pickers. But I don't know! I just suspect :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

is this the thread where i ask if betterment is a good idea? because if so, then...is betterment a good idea for a stock market novice? i'm looking to do something more with my emergency fund than keep it in an mma or cd. and like they say in the gambling threads, i'm willing to risk the money.

I don't think you understand "emergency fund" very well...

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

i should have said i'm willing to take on a bit more risk for higher potential returns. i'm not looking to put all of my emergency fund into a single stock and let it fly.

I stand by what I said. Keep your emergency fund in guaranteed instruments and use some other money for your risky investments.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Betterment argues that you can just use stocks and bonds in the right mix, which is a somewhat dubious argument.

Oh, yeah, that thing. It's more or less a gimmick, it's predicated on some dubious assumptions about what the markets will do, and it puts all your money at risk when you could be taking advantage of FDIC insurance etc. There's no reason you can't do something very similar while keeping a cash emergency fund.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nebby posted:

The current topic is amazing, but "i'm looking to do something more with my emergency fund" is pretty good too.

Hahaha! I'll try to remember this for when the current one gets old.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Please tell me the "batman" trendline is a joke about technical traders' over-enthusiasm for finding patterns in charts?
Haha, I took it seriously, it makes just as much sense as Fibonacci retracements

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

logical phalluses posted:

is there any reason to suspect that over the course of say, 5 years, I could do better actively trading stocks than if I just parked my cash in an index fund?

"Could"? You definitely could. "Would"? There are a lot of reasons to suspect that in fact you would not do better. Jump in with your extra $$ and have fun!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ahahaha, that's the Richard Gamingo I know and love.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jack posted:

help me what is "number"

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ohgodwhat posted:

Essentially, Jack is full of poo poo.

Noooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you are talking about your retirement accounts, you should come to the retirement thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

This is the gambling individual stock trading thread for people who have extra money.