Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
SIRI used to be worth a nickel. They have a ton of debt and they aren't really getting as many subscribers as they'd like. They also have a bunch of expensive satellites up there. Lots of people really like the stock because they like the service.

I've had TTM for quite a while now. F has done the best over the time period that I've held TTM but compared to other car manufacturers TTM has done pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

lazybrain posted:

TTM as in Tata or Toyota?

TTM as in Tata. I really like the idea of the Nano and I thought the Jaguar and Land Rover marquees would be valuable in the Chinese market.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

With a 52 week high for F today, I wanted to stop by the second coming of the thread that I got pennystock FAQ'd out of a year and change ago and mocked endlessly for investing in the company I worked for, and knew would grow from the dollar and change it was selling at then. Just wanted to thank TraderStav for screaming how terrible an investment it was. Especially calling F a pennystock.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2641737&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=208#post353539828

Thanks again!

Nice purchase. I think your line of thinking was quite right. It was a company you worked for and you knew they put out a quality product and they were underpriced because of weakness in the entire sector. Don't be afraid to invest in something you believe in. Just because the stock is cheap doesn't mean the company is bad. It just means investors are scared. If you aren't afraid when everyone else is then you stand to reap rewards once things stabilize and everyone else stops being afraid and jumps back on the bandwagon.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Any ideas about WEN? Seems like a good stock for a Goon Portfolio!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
The way sharebuilder is supposed to work is you keep buying the same poo poo week after week because you believe in it and you pay $20 a month or whatever for the highest plan and then you have it pull out $200 a week from your ING Direct account and shove that into 4 stocks at $50 each. Then you get to do some dollar cost averaging and buy stocks on a regular basis with a low overhead.

Saving $6 to buy on a Tuesday afternoon isn't worth it if the fluctuation of a stock over a day is important to you.

If you care about the price of something right now or want to buy something at a specific price, put in a limit or market order. If you care about the price of something 3 years from now more than you care about the price of it now, just buy it on a Tuesday and don't worry about the 5% difference.

edit: If you want to try and get your commission down to $4, just put in a limit order for a price a little bit lower than you'd be willing to pay immediately. If that order goes through then cancel your Tuesday automatic investment dealie.

Ned fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 8, 2010

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I ended up buying some WEN the other day. McDonalds is kind of the golden child stock in that market segment and then the rest of the players seem quite cheap. It seems like the company should be able to recover from purchasing Arbys. If it can't then I guess it could sell that unit to someone in the future. Wendy's seems to be a good brand. The Wendy's brand was valued at 1.3 billion in 2006 and they have 600 million in cash on hand currently. So with a market cap of 2.1 billion they seem like a nice deal. I also like stocks that pay dividends. It currently has a tiny one but if they recover it could become decent.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
SLNM has a market cap of 110k. Would it be possible to buy a controlling stake in the company?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well, I find SLNM to be kind of interesting. They are actually a pretty well established brand and that alone should be worth more than their market cap. They have a bit of debt but nothing too crazy.

Shrug. Here are financials. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SLNM.OB

I was just asking a strange question. I look at their traffic and figure they have to be worth something even with outstanding debt. I think there are actually a lot of good things about salon.com - great name, valuable brand, a nice backlog of good content. If they can transition well to the iPad and future devices where people might be more willing to pay for content that travels with them they might make money.

There aren't really many magazine/news sites out there with a larger audience and a longer history than salon.com. I work on a site that ranks a bit better than salon.com in Quantcast and see a lot of potential. So when I see that the current market valuation is 100k, I ask questions. The domain itself has to be worth 500k to a million.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Baddog posted:

That is an interesting hypothetical. I would imagine that at this point the debt holders are really in control of the company, and the stock holders are way in the back of the bus.

Salon used to be worth billions of dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if someone involved with the company early on sold some stock for a few hundred million back in the day and funds the company debt privately. I think the company itself is probably badly run, but they do have some interesting assets. That site shouldn't cost more than 2 million a year to run. 30 writers at 50k a pop working from home plus a couple management types can create a ridiculous amount of content.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you are going to look into ING also take a look at IRE and AIB. The Irish Banks are even more volatile than ING.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
WEN did pretty well today. I bought in at $4.50 and feel like it still represents good value at $5. The company announced they are increasing their stock buy-back from $50 million to up to $250 million, which is over 10% of their current market cap.

It could easily drop down to $4.70, which could be a very nice price to buy. But I feel like Wendy's could be worth much more once they figure out how to make money with Arby's.

Then again, If you'd invested in Burger King you'd be up even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Wendy's (WEN) is announcing their earnings on Thursday. Anyone holding? Any ideas?

I've had Wendys for 3 years now. Hasn't really gone anywhere. Bought in at $4.50, I think the highest I have seen it is about $5.25 or so. Not too optimistic about them really.